Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing chain, benzene a cancer risk?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing chain, benzene a cancer risk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-21, 04:59 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Once you get set up on a chain wax system where you rotate 2 or 3 chains, then waxing or changing chains after every ride would not be that time consuming. So long as you use quick links, changing out a chain takes about the same amount of time as putting air in your tires before a ride.
I have the Connex link, so it's quite quick to pop off the chain. I've waxed my chain with plain old Gulf paraffin about 4 times before and after gravel rides so far. It's not just the waxing that takes time. After the wax dries hard, breaking free 118 links takes a while, and then I have to run each link over my single chain ring at least once. I was getting pretty good at it. After each ride, the chain looks clean, but apparently appearances deceive. I melted my wax today and dumped it, and there was a good amount of black debris in the bottom of the crock pot. I was going to try the Silca wax. Not sure what I'll do now.
Old 10-04-21, 06:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Oi.

There are so many things which could cause our inevitable deaths, and people are worrying about chain wax? Have you ever been in a rook=m with a candle burning? Ever eaten cooked meat? You have a lot more chance of dying from injuries while crashing on a bike than from chain wax. And a vastly greater chance of dying from a slip and fall in the bathroom --- so do you not shower, and relieve yourself in a hole outside? Oh, No! the risk of dysentery!

Use a liquid wax, wear a ventilator, or best of all --- stop riding, It is just too dangerous.

And by the last post you are saying waxing takes too long---which is certainly a s serious an objection and "Waxing is fatal." "Waxing is deadly---and it takes too long."

I am taking you seriously, believe me.
Old 10-04-21, 06:23 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Oi.

There are so many things which could cause our inevitable deaths, and people are worrying about chain wax? Have you ever been in a rook=m with a candle burning? Ever eaten cooked meat? You have a lot more chance of dying from injuries while crashing on a bike than from chain wax. And a vastly greater chance of dying from a slip and fall in the bathroom --- so do you not shower, and relieve yourself in a hole outside? Oh, No! the risk of dysentery!

Use a liquid wax, wear a ventilator, or best of all --- stop riding, It is just too dangerous.

And by the last post you are saying waxing takes too long---which is certainly a s serious an objection and "Waxing is fatal." "Waxing is deadly---and it takes too long."

I am taking you seriously, believe me.
And you could have sprained a finger with that rushed, semi-coherent reply!
Old 10-04-21, 06:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I just read that heating paraffin creates benzene. What do you all think? Here's where I read it. Search on benzene.

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-FAQ-v1.3a.pdf
The link that you provide cautions against this only if you're heating the oil to the point of fuming. You don't need to do that. You shouldn't do that. So don't do that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-04-21, 06:32 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The link that you provide cautions against this only if you're heating the oil to the point of fuming. You don't need to do that. You shouldn't do that. So don't do that.
What exactly does "fuming" mean? At some point in the heating process, the wax does begin to give off an door. Is that fuming? Actually, the writer talks about heating the wax too quickly, not to too high a temp. That's how I read it at least.
Old 10-04-21, 06:45 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I have the Connex link, so it's quite quick to pop off the chain. I've waxed my chain with plain old Gulf paraffin about 4 times before and after gravel rides so far. It's not just the waxing that takes time. After the wax dries hard, breaking free 118 links takes a while, and then I have to run each link over my single chain ring at least once. I was getting pretty good at it. After each ride, the chain looks clean, but apparently appearances deceive. I melted my wax today and dumped it, and there was a good amount of black debris in the bottom of the crock pot. I was going to try the Silca wax. Not sure what I'll do now.
If I had to spend that much time cleaning and re-lubing a chain I just would not ride a bicycle. I ride on pavement probably 80-100 miles per week, sometimes near the beach ('fugitive' sand). I clean my chains once per month with one of those clamp-on Park Tool cleaning devices containing a little bit of Simple Green solution. Lube is 80W gear oil, I've had the same bottle for 10 years.

Paraffin wax: Just heat it up slowly until it melts enough to be as 'workable' as you need it, and do it in a ventilated area. Frankly, I'd be more worried about the fumes from the heating device your using to melt the wax (natural gas, propane, maybe 'white' gas in a camping stove?)
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-04-21, 06:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

What exactly does "fuming" mean? At some point in the heating process, the wax does begin to give off an door.
And you accuse me of incoherence?

I have waxed a lot of chains, and heated a lot of wax, and at no time did the wax give off a door.

You are just playing here. if you really cared you would have googled the actual facts about paraffin, instead of asking here on BF. But only here on BF can you get so much attention. Doping actual research is dry and dull. Of course, that is what you have to do if you want to learn.

Since you are not doing that, you don't want to learn. Therefore it seems what you want is attention from BF.

Good strategy, i guess.

But yeah ... how's it living under that bridge?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-04-21, 06:57 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by Maelochs
And you accuse me of incoherence?

I have waxed a lot of chains, and heated a lot of wax, and at no time did the wax give off a door.

You are just playing here. if you really cared you would have googled the actual facts about paraffin, instead of asking here on BF. But only here on BF can you get so much attention. Doping actual research is dry and dull. Of course, that is what you have to do if you want to learn.

Since you are not doing that, you don't want to learn. Therefore it seems what you want is attention from BF.

Good strategy, i guess.

But yeah ... how's it living under that bridge?
First, you don't know what research I did before my post here, second, the Gulf Paraffin I am using DOES begin to give off an odor at some point when heated, which is the reason I posted here, and third....Might be best that you just move along to the next thread.
Old 10-04-21, 07:03 PM
WhyFi

What exactly does "fuming" mean? At some point in the heating process, the wax does begin to give off an door. Is that fuming? Actually, the writer talks about heating the wax too quickly, not to too high a temp. That's how I read it at least.
Again, from your own link -

Don’t get your wax way too hot – ie slow cooker on low, lid off, or instant pot set to 90dg c, and again things are no more dangerous than boiling your kettle.
As far as the odor -

No the scent is not toxic. Candles have a scent too, and the scent is not toxic, but the candles will be releasing a tiny amount of benzene gas, your not burning wax will not be. As long as it is not too hot so that it is fuming, it is just basically a lubrication candle – without the burning.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-04-21, 08:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
First, you don't know what research I did before my post here, second, the Gulf Paraffin I am using DOES begin to give off an odor at some point when heated, which is the reason I posted here, and third....Might be best that you just move along to the next thread.
Like I posted before, just use NFS if you’re so concerned that you needed to start a thread after all you (assumed) research. It’s the best lube in the galaxy. No lie.
Old 10-04-21, 08:17 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Like I posted before, just use NFS if you’re so concerned that you needed to start a thread after all you (assumed) research. It’s the best lube in the galaxy. No lie.
Heard bad things about that stuff.
Old 10-04-21, 08:24 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 1,012 Posts
remember when it was all the rage that eggs were bad for you , and then they weren't.....LOL.... yea me too

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 10-04-21, 09:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Not “fuming”. Smoking. Fuming is different. This description is a good explanation although I would say that “fumes” are more something that is caused by reaction with air like you find with nitric acid or a pyrophoric compound.

Smoke is a fine solid formed by incomplete burning. Fumes are fine airborne particles produced when a solid vapourises and condenses, eg during welding
Things start to get funny when material starts to burn. You can have incomplete combustion which causes the formation of different compounds. Just heating the wax to the melt point is enough to get very small amounts of the wax to volatilize (evaporate) but that’s not hazardous.

Lots of people use a Crock Pot for heating the oil which isn’t a bad idea since you can’t get up to the point where you can burn the wax. If you don’t have a Crock Pot, at least use a double boiler. The condensing steam will provide enough heat to melt the wax without overheating it. Do not put a pan on direct heat to melt the wax. That’s will allow for overheating. Crock Pots and double boilers are easy to find at thrift stores.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-04-21, 09:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
remember when it was all the rage that eggs were bad for you , and then they weren't.....LOL.... yea me too
Eggs have always been bad for your chain.
Old 10-04-21, 09:43 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Crock Pots and double boilers are easy to find at thrift stores.
The small (2qt) crockpots are perfect for waxing chains (bigger means that you have to dump in more wax to submerge the chain) and they're only 10-12 bucks brand new at Target and the like.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-05-21, 01:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Eggs have always been bad for your chain.
what about if they are yolkless?
Old 10-05-21, 02:18 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
How shocking that a paranoia thread about the potentially deadly effects of waxing a bike chain devolved so quickly.
And who knew that the folks at a for-profit Australian chain testing website were such experts in carcinogens…
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 10-05-21, 05:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Heard bad things about that stuff.
That it’s more carcinogenic than benzene?
Old 10-05-21, 06:45 AM
Maelochs

The guy is equally concerned about nonexistent toxic fumes and taking too long for bike maintenance. Let's let Darwin decide this thread.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-05-21, 08:05 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Not to rain on the parade, but isn't a 'liquid wax' just heavier chain hydrocarbons suspended/dissolved in lighter chain hydrocarbons which evaporate, leaving only the heavies? So, volatile solvent - not generally known to be all that healthy.
Not all. Some (most?) are emulsions. That is wax in water. Emulsion waxes are readily available on amazon if anyone cares to experiment.
Old 10-05-21, 08:07 AM
Wattsup

Thanks cyccommute...Your posts always stand out in these threads....informative, expert advice. You obviously know what you're talking about....as opposed to a few here who have no clue! Thanks for stopping by.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not “fuming”. Smoking. Fuming is different. This description is a good explanation although I would say that “fumes” are more something that is caused by reaction with air like you find with nitric acid or a pyrophoric compound.

Things start to get funny when material starts to burn. You can have incomplete combustion which causes the formation of different compounds. Just heating the wax to the melt point is enough to get very small amounts of the wax to volatilize (evaporate) but that’s not hazardous.

Lots of people use a Crock Pot for heating the oil which isn’t a bad idea since you can’t get up to the point where you can burn the wax. If you don’t have a Crock Pot, at least use a double boiler. The condensing steam will provide enough heat to melt the wax without overheating it. Do not put a pan on direct heat to melt the wax. That’s will allow for overheating. Crock Pots and double boilers are easy to find at thrift stores.
Old 10-05-21, 08:34 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
I read a lot of product warning labels. Most things, it seems, will only cause cancer if you live in California.
Old 10-05-21, 09:22 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
PTFE is a problem because it basically never breaks down, and is accumulating in the environment, including in your body.

Using your bike to spread large amounts of it is irresponsible.

https://greensciencepolicy.org/harmful-chemicals/pfas/

I would also argue that scent added to candles is toxic.

https://greensciencepolicy.org/harmf...ls-phthalates/

"...The words “fragrance,” “perfume,” or “parfum” often mean phthalates are present."

Old 10-05-21, 10:48 AM
Bholz

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bald paul
i read a lot of product warning labels. Most things, it seems, will only cause cancer if you live in california.
haha!
Likes For Bholz:
Old 10-05-21, 10:52 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
my DS leg might be all that my chain will ever need for lubrication as PTFE might be readily available from the pores. Payback time to the chain after all these years of smearing it's alpha grease on my limb!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.