Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wtf pneumatic shifting?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wtf pneumatic shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 10:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Godfather Part II was a good sequel. And the National Lampoon Vacation sequels were pretty good until the Vegas Vacation wreckage.
Not saying all sequels are bad but sometimes they get a good movie and think we should keep going instead of just preserving the friendship. I actually don't mind the Vegas Vacation as much. Sure the original, European and Christmas are the best but Vegas Vacation was not total crap, The blue stuff and yellow stuff scene at the cheap buffet is pretty funny and the Wayne Newton storyline is good and I always love Wallace Shawn even if it is inconceivable that the movie exists. I would give it a solid C. I can't be mean to my name sake and go super low. At least they didn't replace Bev, Chevy and Randy that would have ruined it completely they have been replacing the kids in each one which never quite sat well with me but I said "ho hum it is the biz" but those three wouldn't have worked if changed.
Old 02-26-22, 11:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
Got a typewriter, cassette player, VHS? ....yes, to each of these, they all still work ....and, I am still able to obtain supplies for them

Same cannot be said for ShimaNO Positron, Pitch 10, Dynadrive pedals, Tourney self centering brakes, FFS cranks, Airline, AX, Uniglide, etc., ad nauseum ....all, just a bunch of glop that makes you wonder when ShimaNO will jump the shark by breeding the 'self walking dog with attached fire hydrant' ?

Perhaps ShimaNO is really well diversified with substantial holdings in land fills around the world ?
Great, where can I get my new laserdisc player, I want to watch my unedited digital edition of starwars from before it was remade into a new hope.

OP, these were an interesting concept. I knew someone who rode with them and the shifting was quick and accurate. The issue with them that I heard, and the reason they didn't see real mass market, is that they were designed for road and XC use but the engineers didn't properly figure out how many times the pros actually shift, turned out to be almost twice what was expected or the system was capable of doing. While DH let them take advantage of what they did produce, since the racers don't shift that much.
Old 02-28-22, 08:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Godfather Part II was a good sequel.
Considered by some to be better than the first. Definitely one of the best sequels ever made. I'd but Aliens and T2 on that list.

BTW...The 50th anniversary edition of the original Godfather is in theaters now. It has been visually enhanced.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-28-22, 08:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Considered by some to be better than the first. Definitely one of the best sequels ever made. I'd but Aliens and T2 on that list.

BTW...The 50th anniversary edition of the original Godfather is in theaters now. It has been visually enhanced.
Alien had a sort of terrifying minimalism, but after seeing Aliens I literally looked under the bed before I could go to sleep.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-28-22, 08:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Alien had a sort of terrifying minimalism, but after seeing Aliens I literally looked under the bed before I could go to sleep.
"They mostly come out at night. Mostly."--Newt

Yeah. I saw Alien in the theater the day it was released. Much later in life there was a long period where I had not caught it on TV. When I finally did, the minimalism really struck me. It's a pretty quiet film compared to Aliens, in part due to no Bill Paxon shouting "Game over, man! Game over!"
Old 02-28-22, 08:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
Got a typewriter, cassette player, VHS? ....yes, to each of these, they all still work ....and, I am still able to obtain supplies for them

Same cannot be said for ShimaNO Positron, Pitch 10, Dynadrive pedals, Tourney self centering brakes, FFS cranks, Airline, AX, Uniglide, etc., ad nauseum ....all, just a bunch of glop that makes you wonder when ShimaNO will jump the shark by breeding the 'self walking dog with attached fire hydrant' ?

Perhaps ShimaNO is really well diversified with substantial holdings in land fills around the world ?
8 track, 16 rpm records, steam-powered cars, then.
Your outrage seems a bit forced, if you ask me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-28-22, 08:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Your outrage seems a bit forced, if you ask me.
It seems like that of a jilted lover, more so than an upset (former) customer. Maybe they came home early from work one day and caught their groupset cheating on them.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-28-22, 08:51 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
TPL sounds like they'd be hella fun at a party.

Did you know they discontinued the Edsel?
Old 02-28-22, 09:03 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Man, I was really hoping this thread would have more about the product in the title but it's just a bunch of yelling
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-28-22 at 09:06 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-28-22, 09:20 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
Are you suggesting that air is getting hard to come by?

Originally Posted by TPL
All the Shimano Airlines ever made, multiplied times one million, would barely register sitting next to the pile of VCRs in landfills today. Same is true for cassette players and tapes, and typewriters.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-28-22, 09:31 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Man, I was really hoping this thread would have more about the product in the title but it's just a bunch of yelling
+1 All I remember about air shifters is that is (or was) the slick trick for motorcycle street hot rodders because legit drag racers use (or used) them.
Now having said that, tired old Shimano memes are a dime a dozen.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 02-28-22, 09:54 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
TPL's is a preserved-in-amber echo of what many of us felt who worked in bike shops in the 1980s. His remarks reminded me of the time that Kozo Shimano, then an undergrad at Johns Hopkins University, stopped by the bike shop and asked for my thoughts on the company's products and on their approach to the bike market. I proceeded to lecture him at length, explaining that shops like ours greatly preferred servicing bikes with Campy and Suntour components because they kept the same products in their lines year after year, so stocking parts was a cinch.

Some of the nuances of what I had had to say must have got lost between Baltimore and Osaka, since it appears that they did not take my advice fully to heart.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-28-22, 01:21 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
+1 All I remember about air shifters is that is (or was) the slick trick for motorcycle street hot rodders because legit drag racers use (or used) them.
Now having said that, tired old Shimano memes are a dime a dozen.
I was gonna ask if Shimano stole his girlfriend or something but this works way better LOL. I must be in the dark. I have been happily riding Shimano products for about 35 years. Caught some nice fish with their non cycling products.

ETA .. air shifters for motorcycles are a drag strip only thing as far as I know. Designed for lightning quick/positive shifts on high HP bikes. I dunno if they are still a thing since electronic quick shifts came along. I imagine some hot rodders used them on street bikes but I would think not many.
Old 02-28-22, 06:57 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Bikeforums: where every post turns into an argument.
Likes For grant40:
Old 02-28-22, 07:04 PM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Bikes: Moots Routt45, Wabi Thunder, Gazelle Lo Pro, Gazelle Champion Modial 753, Pinarello F8, Pinarello steel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Rotor Hydraulic Shifting

Will Rotor's hydraulic shifting catch on? I am not convinced.
Likes For rjsmit1:
Old 02-28-22, 08:20 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
still, all things considered
shimano air shifters were still a MUCH better idea
than bicycle air brakes
Likes For PBC peugeot:
Old 02-28-22, 08:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The motorcycle quick shifter I remember interrupted the engine when you kicked the upshift. It was an electronic doohickey, it interrupts the ignition. Sequential transmissions are stout and chain drives are forgiving.

Regret to inform the faithful that AXS delivers what air lines seemed to promise.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-28-22 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-01-22, 08:34 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I actually have three bikes with no Shimano.

My gravel is a mix of SRAM, Trp, and Archer. Pretty cool modular wireless electric system. But it’s got batteries and two chargers, so it’s probably not future proof. It’s awfully cool today.

My road bike has 20 year old Campy Chorus. I got the Ergo’s rebuilt last year. Hopefully they last a while. I have a couple cassettes so for now it’s great. It’s functioning perfectly but I’m already seeing the writing on the wall, it’s going to get more difficult to repair in the next few years. I keep it fairly low mileage though.

My mountain bike is SRAM and brand new, I hope to get my first ride on it Thursday or Friday. It better be good for a bit.

Anyway, these experiences are neither better or worse than anything from “NO”. Can’t blame the company for progress.

FWIW, my mid 80’s Dura Ace 7400 works perfectly. Other than the Uniglide cassette, it’s actually very normal stuff, repairs would be pretty easy if it ever broke down.
Old 03-01-22, 11:24 AM
grant40

Originally Posted by rjsmit1
Will Rotor's hydraulic shifting catch on? I am not convinced.
I think it's more of a concept of what modern bicycle technology can be able to do.
Old 03-01-22, 11:30 AM
grant40

Originally Posted by PBC peugeot
still, all things considered
shimano air shifters were still a MUCH better idea
than bicycle air brakes
Shimano 333 can be wEiRd sometimes.

Likes For grant40:
Old 03-01-22, 12:09 PM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Bikes: Moots Routt45, Wabi Thunder, Gazelle Lo Pro, Gazelle Champion Modial 753, Pinarello F8, Pinarello steel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Rotor Hydraulic Shifting

Originally Posted by grant40
I think it's more of a concept of what modern bicycle technology can be able to do.
That is a good way to think about it. I am actually impressed that they pulled it off. And it takes advantage of the presence of the hydraulic system that is there for braking. But it is limited compared to some of the things that electronic systems can do, like sequential shifting where the operator doesn't have to select the actual front and rear ring/cog.
Likes For rjsmit1:
Old 03-01-22, 08:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
History is littered with abandoned technology across pretty much every industry. Got a typewriter, cassette player, VHS?
Yes to all three! Use the cassette player regularly, the VHS rarely, and the typewriter never. But I do have them.
Old 03-01-22, 08:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by grant40
Shimano 333 can be wEiRd sometimes.
Never heard of this one, bet if done right it would have worked better than the cable pull if done right, probably just too far ahead of its time.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-07-22, 02:46 AM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Towing the compressor was the issue... ;o)
Likes For deaninkl:
Old 03-07-22, 10:57 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
TPL's is a preserved-in-amber echo of what many of us felt who worked in bike shops in the 1980s. His remarks reminded me of the time that Kozo Shimano, then an undergrad at Johns Hopkins University, stopped by the bike shop and asked for my thoughts on the company's products and on their approach to the bike market. I proceeded to lecture him at length, explaining that shops like ours greatly preferred servicing bikes with Campy and Suntour components because they kept the same products in their lines year after year, so stocking parts was a cinch.

Some of the nuances of what I had had to say must have got lost between Baltimore and Osaka, since it appears that they did not take my advice fully to heart.
So basically no product development? I'm not surprised he gave your advice a miss.