Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Of the major Italian builders, where would you put each in regards to hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 10:46 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,866 Times in 1,064 Posts
Filippi
Donoratico
Salani
Old 05-03-16, 11:03 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
So you rank quantity over quality?

I have three "Italian" bikes but only one was made in Italy.
Getting back to the opening post;

Originally Posted by Regulatori
Let me first give a disclaimer. I know each company has different levels of frames. It's not fair to say Alfa Romeo is better than Ferrari because you're comparing an Alfa 33 Stradale to a Ferrari Dino.

I understand that companies go through transitions. In this list, I'm referring to the companies in their prime/building bikes in Italy.

Everyone has their favorite company but if trying to remain objective as possible, how would you rate their hierarchy?
This can include overall history, pedigree, racing history...

This is out of curiosity and figured it would be fun.

A great company builds a wide range of product, but very few companies build the best quality in meaningful quantities.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-03-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 11:56 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
(It doesn't matter where it was made, what matters is who made it, how's it fit and what was it made to do vs. what you want to do with it)
Old 05-03-16, 12:27 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianPower
Has anyone mentioned Marastoni? One of my favorites! Galmozzi, Marnati, and Picchio were incredibly gifted frame builders. Love all of my bikes and hard to pick a favorite.
Nice group of bikes. I have one of those and someday hope to have one of the other two.
Old 05-03-16, 01:55 PM
thomalan

Bikes: '58 Cinelli Mod B and '55 Holdsworth Monsoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only one Italian maker on my list as they were, in my opinion, the vanguard for the rest. They made their own Headsets, bars, stems, hubs, saddles and of course the first clipless pedals and a few of the best looking frames ever produced.
No names pantographed into other companies gear for Cino. Yes, its Cinelli of course!

But then with my '58 Corsa giving me the eye from the corner of the study how could I say anything else. - Alan
Old 05-03-16, 02:16 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by satbuilder
Nice group of bikes. I have one of those and someday hope to have one of the other two.
Go for all three.
Old 05-03-16, 02:43 PM
rlorenz2

Bikes: 80' Tommasini Prestige, 85' Tommasini Super Prestige, Miele Chic, Miyata 312

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Tommasini
Old 05-03-16, 05:05 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Now that I own three Italian bikes...

My criteria is simple: Who has produced more top quality bikes than anyone else?

Colnago, Pinarello, Bianchi
Keep in mind that Bianchi has also produced more crappy and mediocre bikes than just about any of the other Italian Marques we have discussed here. I'll go so far as to claim that Bianchi has produced more crappy bikes than De Rosa and Tommasini, Cinelli and Ciocc have together produced ANY bikes. The simple fact is, De Rosa, Tommasini, Cinelli and Ciocc have never mass-produced bikes - their production has always been artisinal. Bianchi has mass-produced MANY bikes. Yes, they make many very fine bikes, but they also make many that are not so fine. Size matters, but not in so much of a good way.
Old 05-03-16, 05:14 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
Keep in mind that Bianchi has also produced more crappy and mediocre bikes than just about any of the other Italian Marques we have discussed here. I'll go so far as to claim that Bianchi has produced more crappy bikes than De Rosa and Tommasini, Cinelli and Ciocc have together produced ANY bikes. The simple fact is, De Rosa, Tommasini, Cinelli and Ciocc have never mass-produced bikes - their production has always been artisinal. Bianchi has mass-produced MANY bikes. Yes, they make many very fine bikes, but they also make many that are not so fine. Size matters, but not in so much of a good way.
Wow, I would have never known any of this...
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-03-16 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 05:55 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
production has always been artisinal.
Having had the "Artisanal" production of more Italian pseudo-quality framesets inflicted on me for final assembly "back when" than I care to recall fondly many were simply haphazardly made badly (un)finished product that required an enormous amount of time (for which we charged) to finish into a saleable/rideable machine.

A well designed and controlled production environment will produce product that falls within the upper and lower control limits of Quality, "Artisans" not so much.

The Columbus SL frameset that I've raced and ridden for the last 39 years: Trek 900.

-Bandera
Old 05-03-16, 06:01 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandera
Having had the "Artisanal" production of more Italian pseudo-quality framesets inflicted on me for final assembly "back when" than I care to recall fondly many were simply haphazardly made badly (un)finished product that required an enormous amount of time (for which we charged) to finish into a saleable/rideable machine.

A well designed and controlled production environment will produce product that falls within the upper and lower control limits of Quality, "Artisans" not so much.

The Columbus SL frameset that I've raced and ridden for the last 39 years: Trek 900.

-Bandera
Well certainly, if all you care about is the utilitarian functionality of the bike, then artisinal craftsmanship won't be your thing. I personally also value the aesthetics of the bike, and the craftsmanship that went into it. And frankly, my Trek and Lemond and made by Panasonic Schwinn don't match the aesthetics of my De Rosa and my Tommasini. But I will concede that the former 3 bikes are just as fast and as well-functioning as the latter two. But they are not actually faster, hence the superior aesthetics puts the Italian hand-built bikes above the other factory-built ones, on style points alone - at least to my personal taste.
Old 05-03-16, 06:19 PM
Bandera
~>~

Well certainly, if all you care about is the utilitarian functionality of the bike, then artisinal craftsmanship won't be your thing.
A properly designed, accurately mitered, carefully brazed, de-fluxed and chem treated straight and durably finished frameset with a sensible BSC bottom bracket that can/would be ridden successfully in competition was/is "My Thing." Aesthetics is a place on the podium to me.

"Artisanal craftsmanship" of Italian framesets back when I was building up race bikes was generally lacking, you went to a USA custom builder like RRB for Quality not the Italians and to Trek for a good affordable race machine.

-Bandera
Old 05-03-16, 06:26 PM
D1andonlyDman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Frankly, I would guess that FAR more folks collect bikes, and buy them for their aesthetic appeal, than who actually race them competitively. And I understand that if racing IS your thing, you view it as strictly a tool to do a job. I, however, want something much different from that from my bikes. Fortunately, you can have your Treks, and your bikes built by big Asian corporations, while I can get my Italian handbuilts without worrying about you taking any of their small production.
Old 05-03-16, 06:39 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
A few years old but this guy seems to have a list. Ugo De Rosa/Milano - Master frame builder - San Diego Italian Film FestivalSan Diego Italian Film Festival | San Diego Italian Film Festival

@D1andonlyDman, Italian bikes do look good, too bad you wasted money on those bikes that have no racing pedigree.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 05-03-16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 06:58 PM
Bandera
~>~

Frankly, I would guess that FAR more folks collect bikes, and buy them for their aesthetic appeal, than who actually race them competitively.
When I pull my old TX900, long converted to a FG, down from it's hook for a ride I can reflect that it's the tool that I used to place on road race podiums decades ago, is still perfectly serviceable and looks good enough to me.

I'm not a Collector, all of my C&V machines have become so by attrition.
Tools? Certainly not Objects of Veneration.

Back to the OP's post:
Rose tinted glasses not needed, "back when" Quality was not very great in Italian frameset construction for those of us who had to make them serviceable.
After that wresting match most rode very well, but Ital bottom bracket design did/does suck compared to BSC. Oh, and the paint fell off and they rusted internally.

Other that: thumb:

-Bandera
Old 05-03-16, 07:03 PM
D1andonlyDman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I pull my old TX900, long converted to a FG, down from it's hook for a ride I can reflect that it's the tool that I used to place on road race podiums decades ago, is still perfectly serviceable and looks good enough to me.

I'm not a Collector, all of my C&V machines have become so by attrition.
Tools? Certainly not Objects of Veneration.

Back to the OP's post:
Rose tinted glasses not needed, "back when" Quality was not very great in Italian frameset construction for those of us who had to make them serviceable.
After that wresting match most rode very well, but Ital bottom bracket design did/does suck compared to BSC. Oh, and the paint fell off and they rusted internally.

Other that: thumb:

-Bandera
I would agree that your TX900 was perfectly competent race bike, but not worthy of veneration. OTOH, my De Rosa and Tommasini ARE worthy of veneration for their aesthetics. And since they are each unique in their own way, they are different from any De Rosa or Tommasini that YOU may have experienced.
Old 05-03-16, 07:26 PM
Bandera
~>~

my De Rosa and Tommasini ARE worthy of veneration for their aesthetics.
Veneration? Really?

"Veneration
noun
The act of adoring, especially reverently:"

Veneration - definition of veneration by The Free Dictionary

Well, have at it although Moses may disagree with such idolatry I don't judge: Exodus 32:6

Moses didn't have a sprint and the Italians didn't know how to thread a 'fixed" cup.
"Let thy fixed cup unwind perpetually and let thy chrome peel while thy transfers fall unto the earth and thy paint peels from thy mis-aligned rust filled tubes."
-Amen

As always: Suit yourself and worship as you please.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 05-03-16 at 07:47 PM.
Likes For Bandera:
Old 05-03-16, 07:59 PM
D1andonlyDman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Veneration? Really?

"Veneration
noun
The act of adoring, especially reverently:"

Veneration - definition of veneration by The Free Dictionary

Well, have at it although Moses may disagree with such idolatry I don't judge: Exodus 32:6

Moses didn't have a sprint and the Italians didn't know how to thread a 'fixed" cup.
"Let thy fixed cup unwind perpetually and let thy chrome peel while thy transfers fall unto the earth and thy paint peels from thy mis-aligned rust filled tubes."
-Amen

As always: Suit yourself and worship as you please.

-Bandera
Both my Tommasini and De Rosa are about 30 years old, and neither has a speck of rust, nor a speck of lost chrome and I believe any misalignment of the tubes would have shown itself by now, and it hasn't. Sorry to hear that you've been the victim of poor quality control, but thankfully, I have not. Actually, the paint on both of my Trek bikes has not held up nearly as well.
Old 05-03-16, 08:26 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

A properly designed, accurately mitered, carefully brazed, de-fluxed and chem treated straight and durably finished frameset with a sensible BSC bottom bracket that can/would be ridden successfully in competition was/is "My Thing." Aesthetics is a place on the podium to me.

"Artisanal craftsmanship" of Italian framesets back when I was building up race bikes was generally lacking, you went to a USA custom builder like RRB for Quality not the Italians and to Trek for a good affordable race machine.

-Bandera
Yeah...those italians that created the geometry that everyone used were just junk. And of course they were all the same and can be lumped together.
Old 05-03-16, 11:10 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
My Gios ('78 or '79) rusted horribly, even after the repaint. Gios paint always had a bad reputation, but it was otherwise a nicely made frame. I appreciated that the lug points weren't shaved down, the better to stand up to repairs.

I had the opportunity to work on a Serotta 7-Eleven team replica a couple years ago. The metal work was lovely, but one look at how the seat and head lugs were "relieved" and sculpted, and it was obvious these frames wouldn't hold up on Belgian cobbles, especially under the likes of Bob Roll. Still, I'm sure it would be a nice ride on smooth US roads at moderate speeds.

My California Masi looks and feels like a workhorse, a balanced all-around tool for the amateur rider who had to buy his own equipment. That gets my respect more than pantographing and chrome.

But if a 58 cm DeRosa fell into my lap, I'd probably sell my Madone to fix it up.
Old 05-04-16, 01:23 AM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
And of course they were all the same and can be lumped together.
See Post #25 .

-Bandera
Old 05-18-16, 12:58 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,383 Times in 3,669 Posts
"quote, thomalan
No names pantographed into other companies gear for Cino. Yes, its Cinelli of course!

This!

Cinelli

Cinelli

Cinelli
Old 04-23-17, 08:44 AM
atelier onda

Bikes: Chesini x-uno, Rossin TT, Luigi Montagnier, Gazelle Formula, Mondial Record, Sartano, Pegas Strada 1, Pegas Clasic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad that you put scapin 1st
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I've only owned eight high end Italian bicycles long enough to make a valid, relative assessment. The order is as follows:

Scapin
Marinoni
Pinarello
Olmo
Colnago
Cinelli
Legnano
Bottecchia
Old 04-23-17, 08:48 AM
atelier onda

Bikes: Chesini x-uno, Rossin TT, Luigi Montagnier, Gazelle Formula, Mondial Record, Sartano, Pegas Strada 1, Pegas Clasic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This are not italian frame builders
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
peugeot
miyata
Ephgrave
ccm
trek
concorde
cilo
Puch
Old 04-23-17, 11:08 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Hmmm, I can only chime in based on my experience since I rotate several Italian rides for my daily rides. I'll try to rate them and say why....

1. Giordana XL Super - Billato Brothers built / fast, light, comfortable,does everything well.

2. Bass Gap - Basso Built / Fast and so smooth, sometimes I feel some flex but the smoothness over rough stuff is amazing.

3. Greg LeMond Maillot Jaune - Billato Brothers built / stiff and always fast yet fairly comfortable, 1st gen Campagnolo indexing RD is the only weakpoint

4. Greg LeMond Ventoux - Billato Brothers built / Built up for comfort, perfect century machine,

5. Giordana Antares - Billato Brothers built / fast, stiff, a bit heavy, just feels right when on it though

6. Bianchi Campione - Bianchi built / Beautiful bike but honestly nothing special to me

I can't find fault with the build quality of any of my Billato built machines.

*** I've got a beautiful De Rosa Nouvo Classico frame still waiting to be built. I'm betting this one will move near the top of my list when done.***

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-07-17 at 07:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.