Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Slowest Cannondale build thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 09:00 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts

Learned Friends:

The thread title is not a boast or a a challenge, it's more of a warning.. it has taken me a couple weeks to get this bike on the road, and it will take most of the winter to turn it into something righteous

On the other hand, I owe the BF brotherhood [no offense bianchigirl ] some progress notes, since I had the frame sent to me by the peerless Mad Honk after he acquired it in a trade from jdawginsc ...so it's kind of a community adoption thing.

Along the way, I picked up another bike for parts, which was a bit of a time sink...anyway, I thought I'd create a build thread for people who enjoy that sort of thing.

Let's start with this picture. @Mad Honk posted it over on the "ISO & Trade" thread.

See post #4333

I'm only a hair over 6', having shrunk a bit over the last few years, and I wasn't sure I could ride it. However, my winter beater is a large Cannondale H400, which is nearly as tall, so after some measuring in the garage, I went for it. The frame arrived promptly and extremely well packaged. So much so that I preserved everything in case I'd have to pass the frame on for fit reasons.

A couple days later, on the Enabler thread -- otherwise known as 'eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II' -- @cb400bill kindly posted a link to a Trek touring bike from the 80s that had lived a hard life in a wet basement. I wound up picking it up for parts and posted some pictures [[url]https://www.bikeforums.net/22283570-post64391.html] and briefly had some delusions about turning it into an IGH bike, because it turned out to be a nice 84 620 that someone had clearly loved and upgraded over time. Alas, I was no match for the stuck Phil bottom bracket, and before I damaged anything, I decided to send it off to an undisclosed member for further TLC -- so that shipping box comes in right handy... C&V-ers take note: NEVER throw anything away .
The Phil Wood BB tool I used got good and warped while the BB did not move a micron.

BTW here's a picture from my haul at the co-op a couple weeks back... I really couldn't do much with the centerpull brakes, there are some small parts missing -- no surprise -- and some fit issues with the fat aluminum stays and bridges. It was a useful exercise, and inexpensive, in any event. Not shown is a NOS 600 hub that apparently was never laced up but has grip marks on the body... makes me think someone tried to unscrew the freehub, which must have been an interesting exercise. It feels alright, and I'm looking forward to turning it into a wheel. Of course there'll be another two-week wait for the spokes, but once the white stuff starts flying, who cares?
Oh yeah: The bottom bracket shown is a Suntour in really good shape, but the spindle I picked up is Dura Ace of the proper width, but they do not play well together. If anyone has an idea where I can find a suitable ~113 mm Suntour spindle in 2021, I'm all ears.

Back to the Cannondale -- it's a 1987 ST600, and when I showed BF photo to my wife, she was convinced it was some amateur paint job, but no: they came from the factory that way, and this very paint job, squiggles and all, is in the '87 catalog [see vintagecannondale.com].

I put in an origin8 headset -- I wanted a chromed Tange but they're backordered, of course -- using a janky homemade installation tool a friend of mine had put together from a 5/8" threaded rod and some nuts & washers. This worked great. I finally got to ride the bike today, when the temperatures headed over 60 and the sun came out. Good work if you can get it in Michigan in November. The parts are all over the place -- wheels from a 97 R200, 32 mm tires, and as Dr. C pointed out elsewhere, that is all that will fit, at least with fenders. The seatpost and B17 saddle are borrowed from my T400 touring bike, the crank is from the Trek I just bought, as is the handlebar and the Dura Ace levers. The rear derailer is an RX100 from who-knows-where, the pedals are MKS copies of an old Lyotard model; the brakes are Tektro 559 and they just barely fit -- on the short side. They do work well, though.

This bike is clearly on the SPORTS end of Sport Tourer. I am now having indecent thoughts about 650B wheels, since I wanted to keep this at my folks' house for all sorts of riding, including dirt trails in the woods and vineyards, which aren't too gnarly, so 32 mm might be OK, but I had been hoping for something like 38 mm Paselas. I have a backordered A32 OC in 700c and a Dyad in 650B coming from Velocity in Grand Rapids... It's well and good to measure, but sometimes you need to see things in the flesh.

Here are some pictures from earlier today, riding with a couple of friends. I can't decide if I'm embarrassed or proud of the twine ersatz cable holder, but it'll do for now. It's been many years since I've ridden a 42 cm bar, and this bike needs a 46 or 48 cm Nitto Noodle, probably on a short Technomic stem. Overall, I had a blast, and am looking forward to building this bike up properly in the coming weeks. Thanks to the BF community for all the help!
cheers -mathias

There is something wrong with the perspective in this photo... I am straddling the bike, not standing next to it, and I'm NOT eight feet tall.
Old 11-08-21, 05:13 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Nice color on your Cannondale. I always liked the graphics on that era, too.

Old 11-08-21, 05:50 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
Jdawg is a happy enabler! I was hoping someone would build it up.

As I shared in some other place, you are only the second rider of that bicycle (exclusion of me since I rode it around the block to see if I could ride it.)

Happy trails!

PS: Sally Hansen had a shade of nail polish that was a near perfect match...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 11-08-21, 06:12 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Nice job improvising with what parts you had available! Question: are you not going to hook up a front derailleur? I mean you do already have a double crank.

if this thread is about the slowest Cannondale build, I’d like to add my Silk Tour 800 build to this, I’m so busy mulching leaves, working, cooking and trying to exercise in what precious little time I have left that - well, fun vintage builds like this stay conceptual for prolonged periods.

I would have preferred a “medium” frame for a more lively ride with my 5’11” self but this “large is going to have to do. I did spec a used Cannondale 1.56” oversized “FutureShok” 90mm stem so that the reach from the saddle will be about the same as my road bike. Also the drops on the used carbon bars are too short for my liking so I have fitted Control Tech bar extenders to the ends to gain an extra 20mm for when I’m in the drops.

I really was hoping to get this Cannondale Hollowgram crank fitted with KCNC triple gold ano spider ring set onto the Silk Tour. To make it work I need a BSA 30 threaded bottom bracket and the correct spacers to establish the correct chain line and non-binding bearings. So far it is a no-go. Maybe my Cannondale dealer could make this a reality for me, crossing my fingers here.

BTW: The wheels on this should ride pretty sweet. They are tubeless ready HED Belgium Plus rims (28f/32r) laced to WTB Momentum Grease Guard hubs (correct 135 spacing for rear) with an IRD Shimano spec 10 speed 12/25 cassette which would give me all the gears I could possibly want when paired with the 26/36/48 KCNC triple I hope to run.

BTW: the wheels in the photo are the original Mavic/Cannondale heavy touring wheels. I’ll reserve these for some other project. Also, like you I had a stuck bottom bracket. I had to purchase PB Blaster and spray in a generous amount from the non-drive side and let it soak over night then I used this breaker bar and the Shimano tool to finally get the square taper cartridge BB out:

My first attempts were such that the splined lock ring totally did not budge. But that PB Blaster stuff worked when regular WD-40 did not.

Last edited by masi61; 11-08-21 at 06:25 AM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-08-21, 06:58 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Both projects are supremo!

I've been trying to find time to rebuild my '93 R600 with 10 speed microShift gear for the past three years. Hopefully my recent retirement will finally enable this to occur--- but not before next summer when I return to NH (where the bike and boxed parts remain for now).

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 11-08-21, 06:58 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
I'll be interested to see if you can make the 650b wheels work. My research on the subject indicated a 650b conversion on a Cannondale was a no-go (and on my '97 T900 the chain-stay shape is such that it looks like a wheel smaller than 700c would actually have less clearance width-wise... and then there's the position of the canti posts). The geometry from the 80s to the 90s must have changed (more tour, less sport-tour?)- I can just manage to fit 38c tires and fenders on mine, but it's veeeery tight.
Old 11-08-21, 10:12 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I like winter build ups too ! -- Ive got one i just started -- interestingly enough, the donor bike for mine is a Cannondale that i may list the frame cheap when all is said and done.

I think the paint from those era's was very interesting -- I had a blue Criterium model with white and yellow squiggles on the top tube -- the randomness was super cool and made them unique 00 and your twine technique is something to be embraces !
Old 11-11-21, 09:21 PM
steine13

While we wait for parts to come in, here's what happens when a Phil bottom bracket gets corroded and does not wish to leave the frame.

Likes For steine13:
Old 11-12-21, 07:33 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Whoa!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-12-21, 09:02 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Both projects are supremo!

I've been trying to find time to rebuild my '93 R600 with 10 speed microShift gear for the past three years. Hopefully my recent retirement will finally enable this to occur--- but not before next summer when I return to NH (where the bike and boxed parts remain for now).
I have an extra 93 around if waiting becomes too much...haha.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 11-12-21, 09:04 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
While we wait for parts to come in, here's what happens when a Phil bottom bracket gets corroded and does not wish to leave the frame.

Did you get the Phil lock rings out?
Old 11-12-21, 10:22 AM
Jorenby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hand-painted custom graphics, available on many models, enliven our frames with bold colors and striking designs.
So funky -- love it. Nice work getting her in shape to ride!
Old 11-12-21, 04:57 PM
DMC707

Ugly --- My project bike at the moment had bottom bracket woes as well ---- fixed cup would not budge --- there is no corrosion present either, -- so i thought

"Oh well, -- just gonna have to clean and service with the fixed cup in place" as i dont want to damage the paint further on mine -- then i was threading the adjustable cup back in , it went in halfway then stopped --- I dont have a thread chasing tool that large so off to the shop it went. Thankfully they discovered a burr in there that was slowing things down and averted disaster

ITs Friday and i have no female accompaniment at the moment , so i may get some more work done to it tonight though
Old 11-12-21, 08:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Here are the tools for my attack plan when that recalcitrant Phil BB arrives.

I thought you were bending one of the long arm Phil tools, not the little compact "travel" tool. That's pretty impressive.
Old 11-13-21, 08:22 PM
steine13

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I'll be interested to see if you can make the 650b wheels work. My research on the subject indicated a 650b conversion on a Cannondale was a no-go [..]
This question has been discussed before, of course.. over on the "Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale" thread, there was this post about an ST bike:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21697712-post1166.html

Another thing I've read is that it may differ from bike to bike, since there was a lot of hand-fitting on these. Given how tight the stays are, that may well be true.

Regarding the bottom bracket on the Trek 620: that's good and stuck still.

Last edited by steine13; 11-13-21 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-13-21, 08:57 PM
steine13

Learned Friends:

I had referenced "inbound parts".. today, finally, with two days of shipping delay, I got my 650B touring wheel set form Velomine. At first blush, these seem to be very solidly built, they spin true, and I could not have built them from parts for the price. Being "touring" in nature, the rear hub will need some massaging, but I installed a "38 mm" Panaracer Col de la Vie tire (40-584) on the front wheel and used different skewers front and rear for a test fit. The results are encouraging.

Recall that the Tektro 559 brakes had to have the pads moved all the way up for 700C. For 650B, they have to come all the way down, but then they reach fine, both front and rear. Here is the front wheel, and I'd say there is a little too much headroom at the fork crown. But we're about riding, not looks (right..?) so I say this is OK.

Here is the same wheel 'installed' in place of a proper rear wheel. This is a better fit, if a little tight against the chain stays. Were this a steel frame, I'd be dimpling the stays. I slipped a rear fender around the tire, and it will look fine with a little care to get the fender line right.

As far as the clearance at the chain stays, keep in mind that this is a front wheel with a too-long skewer, so it could move laterally. Best I could measure, there is a space of 3 mm on either side of the tire. Which measures 34 mm wide when pumped up to 50 PSI. In other words, without drastic measures, this is as fat a tire as will fit, even with the smaller wheel size. Which is ironically the largest size that will fit -- with fenders -- on my '95 T400 tourer with 135 mm spacing and cantilever brakes set up for 700c. That has always struck me as a great tire size for all-around riding.

Here is a picture of the tire fit.

With a little work, I should be able to cannibalize the NOS Shimano 600 hub I scored at the co-op a few weeks back and get both wheels installed for commuting. It's supposed to be cold and dry Monday and Tuesday, and that would be a worthwhile exercise.

As far as pedal strike, I should be OK. Using this setup in place of a 27" wheel with 1" tires lowers the bottom bracket by 10 mm. Since I ride 170 mm cranks, that will not be an issue so long as I stay away from extra fat pedals.

cheers -mathias

Last edited by steine13; 11-13-21 at 09:31 PM.
Likes For steine13:
Old 11-14-21, 08:12 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Wow! Love the creativity in this one!

Old 11-14-21, 09:21 AM
steine13

It looks like there's a bit of a snag. All y'alls probably saw it coming but I sure didn't:
The freehub body from one of the co-op donor hubs does not fit.
Shimano went from ten splines to fifteen because, why not?
So... re-lace the wheel with my 600 hub..? Minor problem, 36 spokes vs. 32.

For giggles, I might re-space the wheel and ride it with a lot of dish to see what it feels like but man....

On the other hand snow today, snow tonight, and yes, Viriginia, there is accumulation -- the longest four-letter word we've got. So there's no hurry.

sigh -mathias

Why can't anything ever be straighforward?
Old 11-14-21, 06:22 PM
steine13

Alright. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Seeing as how my carefully pilfered 7sp freehub bodies would do no good, I went ahead and swapped the NDS spacer on the velomine hub with the narrower one of a new 105 hub I bought last summer when on sale -- that one had 130 mm spacing, of course. So now I have another 130 mm wheel.

Then I re-dished the wheel, and since it was only two millimeters -- I try to err on the side of LESS drive side tension, not more -- it actually wasn't a big deal.
If we had decent weather, I could ride to work tomorrow. As it stands, maybe not, cuz I won't get fenders mounted in time.

Still, this is starting to look useful. Bottom bracket height is 25.5 cm, which means take care in corners. Like I pedal through those LOL.

Respectfully submitted,
-mathias

Last edited by steine13; 11-14-21 at 06:37 PM. Reason: wasn't finished...
Likes For steine13:
Old 11-14-21, 07:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Said it differently many times: nothing is ever simple.
Old 11-14-21, 08:32 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by thumpism
Here are the tools for my attack plan when that recalcitrant Phil BB arrives.

I thought you were bending one of the long arm Phil tools, not the little compact "travel" tool. That's pretty impressive.

Ouch -- seeing a pic of a 1/2" impact in a bike build thread has me cringing
Old 11-14-21, 11:28 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
That's promising news regarding the 650b conversion. My friend has a 48cm ST400 which has 27" wheels — it looks ridiculous. I was planning to test a set of 650b wheels I have on their bike. This is making me more confident it'll work!
Old 11-15-21, 09:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Getting a bike to work is simple if you buy it new and don't change it. But where's the fun in that?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-15-21, 07:33 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by DMC707
Ouch -- seeing a pic of a 1/2" impact in a bike build thread has me cringing
Cringe not, the impact wrench is for a bike take-apart thread.
Old 11-16-21, 10:37 AM
steine13

First commute on the new wheels. New bike syndrome maybe, but I really like the way these col de la vies ride at 45 lbs. It was minus 2 degrees socialist this morning at seven.

Not a fan of this stem and bar setup. Part of working out the kinks.
Likes For steine13:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.