Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Peugeot PX10 !

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Peugeot PX10 !

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 01:54 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al

Here's my recently acquired 1972-ish PX-10, as-found, yes with the absurd seatpost (naturally it's .2 too thin too). Wheels are Miche/Champion clinchers, meaning a subsitution was made early in the bike's life, maybe even by the original LBS it came from. This weekend I found later Simplex derailleurs so can get away from Delrin, also cleaner Simplex shifters and cable guides and a proper sized (if not Simplex) seatpost. I had already found Mafac Racers off a donor bike, so most of the parts I needed for the bike are at hand...now it's just dealing with the rough paint and cosmetics and a bit (I hope) of alignment on the fork.

I had a whole thread about this bike so won't repeat all the details. One funny note I've found though is from the serial number on the BB. That is, there are two small holes where the rivets to hold the little SN tag should go. But no tag, instead the numbers are crudely stamped into the BB shell itself. (Which is pretty crude too--what's that ridge at the bottom?!) It turns out that balindamood has the same thing on the PX-10 he's selling in the FS thread. I figure they just ran short on the tags or that was too much work so they went to the stamps. He reports that the number on his bike is pretty illegible--one of the digits is stamped sideways!

Hopefully the seat tube isn't deformed. I just had to have mine reamed about .2mm and honed to make up for the very same mistake. Can't be too careful on those old tubes.
Old 01-18-12, 02:06 PM
qd-s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by juri
... I've got a PX10, probably from 57'58...
Hi Juri,
sounds very promising
Beyond that I agree with non-fixie (see below).

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Welcome Juri!

No no! Post pictures of your bike now! You'll get more and better advice and we love "before" and "after" pictures. Even better: start your thread with your questions (and pics!)
Old 01-18-12, 02:19 PM
qd-s

Originally Posted by dck
I've never seen a headbadge with the Lion facing to the left like on this '63. All the decals etc. I've recall seeing have the Lion facing to the right.

I am equally baffled about that detail. Neither have I seen that on another Peugeot of that period before (this emblem style was used from early 60s to early 70s).

I would be very interested to know how this came about.
In my opinion it can not be an inadvertent mirrored misprint - probably not possible in principle. And "Peugeot" lettering at the bottom of crest is usual reading, not mirrored.

But as with many other issues (e.g. early frame numbers) quite surely we will never know.

Last edited by qd-s; 07-31-13 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-23-12, 07:25 AM
juri

Bikes: MTB Caloi Supra GS 93 (BR); MTB GTS M1 Advanced 2011 (BR); Speed Role Corsa 60 (BR)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you non-fixie and qd-s!

Well... Now I have one more problem... A collector told me that this bike is a PX-10, but this weekend I was talking to a restorer, and he told me that the bike is not a PX-10... Is a french Metropole (?!)... And it's older than we thought is really is... probably 40-50's... I had never heard about this brand, and I just could not find a single pic of Metropole bikes on the net.

It's history is... My husband, when he had 14yo (today he's 51), went with his father to buy a bike...And his father bought this one, it was oldie on that time!
He used it a lot and restored it as a kid could do, and after a long time he bought a MTB... We became night bikers here in SP, and São Paulo streets are not the best for this kind of bike, so we use MTBs at night... there are a lot of holes in the asphalt. rs rs

Well, this year his mother told him that she'd throw it away. I went there, took it home and now I'm trying to discover how to recover this beautyful bike back to life...

Here are some pics...
If you say to me that it's really a PX-10 I'll be very satisfied... now I'm very confused.

First some pictures before it's first bath...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P2101120001.jpg (98.3 KB, 531 views)
P2101120002.jpg (99.1 KB, 508 views)
P2101120013.jpg (94.8 KB, 502 views)
P2101120014.jpg (90.6 KB, 498 views)
P2101120016.jpg (89.0 KB, 500 views)

Last edited by juri; 01-23-12 at 07:50 AM. Reason: word wrong written
Old 01-23-12, 07:31 AM
juri

Bikes: MTB Caloi Supra GS 93 (BR); MTB GTS M1 Advanced 2011 (BR); Speed Role Corsa 60 (BR)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
bike after bath...

And now some more pictures after its bath...
After it you can see that the bike is blue and not brown... rs rs rs
Attached Images
P2101120023.jpg (100.1 KB, 511 views)
P2101120020.jpg (100.1 KB, 502 views)
P2101120027.jpg (98.4 KB, 498 views)
P2101120018.jpg (100.1 KB, 489 views)
P2101120029.jpg (96.3 KB, 494 views)
P2101120019.jpg (96.4 KB, 491 views)
Old 01-23-12, 08:49 AM
qd-s

Hi Juri,

I don't know what it is but it's definitely not a PX10. Nearly every detail is different from PX10. Nonetheless an interesting bike from 50s or 60s (or even 40s).
Sorry for the (not really) bad news.
Indeed, best would be to start own thread. There are many knowledgeable and helpful C&V experts around who not necessarily read this Peugeot thread.
Old 01-23-12, 08:52 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Posted before - my late 70's repaint with cable guides, shifter and bottle cage bosses added. Repaint and 80's decals were put on by the prior owner who BF'er Kpug505 got it from - and then it came to me.

Old 01-23-12, 08:52 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
juri -
It is likely that your restorer friend is correct - at least it has the lugs and pump mounts that are markedly similar to the 3-speed Metropole pictured half-way down on this web page. In any case, you have a very intriguing and lovely bike there.
Old 01-23-12, 08:55 AM
juri

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you auchen!!!
Thank you qd-s! I'll do it!

Last edited by juri; 01-23-12 at 08:58 AM. Reason: include tks
Old 03-25-12, 06:44 PM
jeffberk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the original owner from back in '73 (this was a '72 model left over inthe bike shop). I upgraded the handle bars to Cinelli at the time of purchase. I also scrapped off the checker board pattern for fear of making it obvious that this was an expensive bike because there were lots of bike thefts oncampus. We were supposed to keep our bikes locked up in a common area at night.

There are numerous cosmetic flaws besides the missing checkerboard. I'm missing a cap to the Lyotard pedals and both caps on the Stronglight crank. The paint is chipped in many places and there are hardly any decals left that show the 531 anymore. The top tube has a small ding. I'm using a cheap set of clinchers because I wasn't able to afford the tubulars. I still have the tubular wheels but I don't know if I'll ever use them. I also had to replace the Simplex derailleurs (front and back)with newer ones but at least the new ones are also Simplex, just with more metal than the older ones.

A few questions while I'm at it:

1) Where can I get a replacement cap for the Lyotard pedal? Does anyone havea worn out pedal that can be parted out?

2) Are there any threads or web sites that I should go to so I can learn theins and outs of refinishing an old bike?

3) What are the best (meaning reasonably priced but not trash) source for decals?

4) I'd like to upgrade my clinchers to a newer design. I'm not sure if I should rebuild one of my wheel sets (I have two tubular wheel sets along withthe clincher set you see) or just buy a set off of e-bay or a bike shop.

Jeff
Attached Images
px10.jpg (97.6 KB, 954 views)

Last edited by jeffberk; 03-25-12 at 06:47 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 03-25-12, 09:11 PM
suncake

Bikes: '71 Peugeot PX10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love love love this thread.

Here's my '71ish (de-simplexed ) PX10 in story arc mode:
Act I: Horror

Act II: Hope

Act III: Salvation

Last edited by suncake; 03-25-12 at 09:13 PM. Reason: blerg
Old 03-25-12, 09:22 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just finished this one today, a 1973'ish one, plain lugs, with Ritchey one sided spd pedals (is that blasphemous?):

before pic:

Old 03-25-12, 09:28 PM
suncake

Bikes: '71 Peugeot PX10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anixi
Just finished this one today, a 1973'ish one, plain lugs, with Ritchey one sided spd pedals (is that blasphemous?):
Just curious--what kind of rims are those on your Normandy's? (Nice restoration, btw!)
Old 03-25-12, 09:36 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by suncake
Just curious--what kind of rims are those on your Normandy's? (Nice restoration, btw!)
They're actually Campagnolo Record hubs, with Super Champion rims. The CST 700x25 tires look great on the rims, they're pretty good tires, for Taiwanese, imo...

Thanks!
Old 03-25-12, 09:57 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BentLink
SvenMN and Bikegeek1968...I'm a bit short on high quality photo's but here's a better one. This has a 56cm frame I picked-up a year ago near Pittsburgh, PA. It had a few nicks and the forks had some oxidized chrome, but it shined-up nicely. I stuffed on a new seatpost to make it fit. It had a sticker from a shop in Florida...I'm the third owner. It's Columbus SLX tubes and the ride is fantastic!

Yeah, the re-badged brakes are Modolo's. They do alright with Koolstop salmon pads but don't have the leverage of simlar vintage Dia-Compe sets.

seeing a peugeot with columbus tubing is still so awkward to me. i know they exist but it just doesn't seem to go together in my brain, kinda like oil and water. But that is a gorgous peugeot, i would definitely not mind owning one of those
Old 03-25-12, 10:18 PM
harpon
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My '67 through the years a bit

When I quit racing in '84 I got rid of EVERYTHING- but by '87 I wanted to ride again- I bought this in Indiana for $100 in the middle of a POUNDING thunderstorm. 23"- Just my size and everything.

Got rid of the sew ups right away- sick of 'em- and narrow 700c was a Godsend sent to replace their size about just then. If it had a Brooks saddle it probably wasn't in good shape and I probably threw it out. Steel seatpost had to go- alloy with built in clamp went on.

After riding Campy sidepull brakes for 14 years, I wasn't about to ride Mafac- hated working on em in bikeshops too- not even a center groove in the middle of the hanger- tilty little pads- although I didn't spring for Campy, I got some kind of generic sidepull that worked well and are still on her.

Simplex push rod front derailleur- threw it away and replaced with alloy suntour- until recently, when I put a Campy on. The back one I considered a stepdown, but it worked surprisingly well and I knew it had the Simplex dropouts- so I stayed with that until recently when it broke, and I eventually put a Nuovo Record on.

Stronglight 93- an alright crank- but I missed the Super Record and found an Omega knockoff very cheap a year ago- so went with that- Not that concerned with strict "Vintage" here- it's a good frame with nostalgic value for me. Takers?

pictures- 1. me and my Toyota "home" for several weeks ca.'93. I really loved that Avocet gel saddle and I think it finally broke sometime.
2.Bike with cat's a$$ in my welfare boarding room about the same time
3. A couple of years ago in Memorial Park next to St John's river Jacksonville.
I put the BMX bars on because of back trouble and it REALLY helps (with Yoga), and the funky but very ridable Bell cruiser saddle from Wal Mart
4 and 5. The PX10 and me after the new crank, red tires and gold leaf painted lugs.

Oh- the "Bear Trap" blue anno pedals- some of you may laugh- The Lyotards finally wore through the cage, and I decided I didn't want clips and straps anymore- I got these- and they are reasonably priced- I found that I really like them and for non-clip use, they have what feels to be even a mechanical advantage, being so wide front to back- especially on hills it's like putting this extra long fulcrum out front on the downstroke and the MX bars too are great for climbing- you can really get up on the pedals and fall forward on them- even though this is flat Florida I rode them in hilly southern Indiana.

I really love the thumb shifters too- I can shift without my hands leaving the grips.

Attached Images
077.jpg (88.9 KB, 584 views)
856.jpg (99.6 KB, 545 views)
67 Peugeot.jpg (104.2 KB, 540 views)
DSCF2128.jpg (80.2 KB, 532 views)
Riverside2.jpg (66.6 KB, 548 views)

Last edited by harpon; 03-25-12 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-25-12, 10:39 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by jeffberk

]A few questions while I'm at it:

1) Where can I get a replacement cap for the Lyotard pedal? Does anyone havea worn out pedal that can be parted out?

2) Are there any threads or web sites that I should go to so I can learn theins and outs of refinishing an old bike?

3) What are the best (meaning reasonably priced but not trash) source for decals?

4) I'd like to upgrade my clinchers to a newer design. I'm not sure if I should rebuild one of my wheel sets (I have two tubular wheel sets along withthe clincher set you see) or just buy a set off of e-bay or a bike shop.

Jeff
Hi Jeff -

1) Finding just the caps for Lyotard pedals could be hard. More than likely you'd have to buy complete pedals and these can be pricey.

2) You will always be advised here to consider carefully before painting a bike. Paint is original just once, and it is not necessarily a bad thing for it to show a little history.

There are a lot of ways you can go with paint. Rattle canning is not advised because it it never adequately hardens. For a bike like your PX, a Professional paint job would be in order. You can go with paint (more expensive, more authentic) or powder. Whichever you choose, be absolutely sure you really vet the painter, because painting a bike takes skill, and a poor job of powder coating can destroy your bike utterly, with gobs of powder hardening like stone in places where it ought not to be. (Powder is much less forgiving than paint.)

My advice would be to leave it alone or touch it up yourself if you can. White is easy to match.

3) Cyclomondo on eBay provides good quality repro decals

https://stores.ebay.com/Cyclomondo/_i..._sid=125718029

4) Upgrading wheels pretty much depends on what you are willing to spend. My first choice in clinchers for a PX would be Normandy Competition hubs with Super Champion rims - but prices on eBay for good vintage rims are way up there, so I have lately recommended Sun M13-ii rims, in lieu of more expensive vintage items. Sun rims look pretty good and they're inexpensive.
Old 03-25-12, 10:41 PM
auchencrow

^ That looks great anixi ! Great job !

(Those pedals look a little blasphemous to me though! )
Old 03-26-12, 12:00 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
harpon: pretty orange tabby you've got there - I also have an orange tabby (female) and she loves my bikes - heck, sometimes I think she believes they're hers

Say hello to Sacha:

DD
Old 03-26-12, 10:17 AM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harpon
When I quit racing in '84 I got rid of EVERYTHING- but by '87 I wanted to ride again- I bought this in Indiana for $100 in the middle of a POUNDING thunderstorm. 23"- Just my size and everything.

Got rid of the sew ups right away- sick of 'em- and narrow 700c was a Godsend sent to replace their size about just then. If it had a Brooks saddle it probably wasn't in good shape and I probably threw it out. Steel seatpost had to go- alloy with built in clamp went on.

After riding Campy sidepull brakes for 14 years, I wasn't about to ride Mafac- hated working on em in bikeshops too- not even a center groove in the middle of the hanger- tilty little pads- although I didn't spring for Campy, I got some kind of generic sidepull that worked well and are still on her.

Simplex push rod front derailleur- threw it away and replaced with alloy suntour- until recently, when I put a Campy on. The back one I considered a stepdown, but it worked surprisingly well and I knew it had the Simplex dropouts- so I stayed with that until recently when it broke, and I eventually put a Nuovo Record on.

Stronglight 93- an alright crank- but I missed the Super Record and found an Omega knockoff very cheap a year ago- so went with that- Not that concerned with strict "Vintage" here- it's a good frame with nostalgic value for me. Takers?

pictures- 1. me and my Toyota "home" for several weeks ca.'93. I really loved that Avocet gel saddle and I think it finally broke sometime.
2.Bike with cat's a$$ in my welfare boarding room about the same time
3. A couple of years ago in Memorial Park next to St John's river Jacksonville.
I put the BMX bars on because of back trouble and it REALLY helps (with Yoga), and the funky but very ridable Bell cruiser saddle from Wal Mart
4 and 5. The PX10 and me after the new crank, red tires and gold leaf painted lugs.

Oh- the "Bear Trap" blue anno pedals- some of you may laugh- The Lyotards finally wore through the cage, and I decided I didn't want clips and straps anymore- I got these- and they are reasonably priced- I found that I really like them and for non-clip use, they have what feels to be even a mechanical advantage, being so wide front to back- especially on hills it's like putting this extra long fulcrum out front on the downstroke and the MX bars too are great for climbing- you can really get up on the pedals and fall forward on them- even though this is flat Florida I rode them in hilly southern Indiana.

I really love the thumb shifters too- I can shift without my hands leaving the grips.

I love your bike - I somehow prefer the non-whites, actually. But, if I were you, I'd put on the MAFACs. Sure, they're hard to set up 100% tuned, but once you've got them working, they're the best you can get from that era.
Old 03-27-12, 01:44 PM
Biofuel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1971 Peugeot PX 10

Likes For Biofuel:
Old 03-27-12, 01:46 PM
Phaseshift

Bikes: Univega Gran Rally

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how is the px10 compared to the UO8?
Old 03-27-12, 01:47 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
harpon: pretty orange tabby you've got there - I also have an orange tabby (female) and she loves my bikes - heck, sometimes I think she believes they're hers

Say hello to Sacha:

DD
Hello Sacha!!
Old 03-27-12, 03:11 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Biofuel
1971 Peugeot PX 10

Another beauty. In that first pic, it looks like you've been shredding spinach with that bike.
Old 03-27-12, 03:30 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Phaseshift
how is the px10 compared to the UO8?
That's like comparing an acoustic to an electric guitar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.