Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What were some of the common 'trick' modifications to road bikes back in the 70s/80s?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What were some of the common 'trick' modifications to road bikes back in the 70s/80s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 03:29 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
*quietly removes dust caps from Campy crank on the Huffy*
You could do that. But remember, the Huffy is your superpower. If you ever find yourself transported back to the start line of a junior race in about 1978, you leave the dust caps in place. You make sure that you are wearing a Bell Biker and a plain cotton jersey.You’re playing a long game here. The bike alone will make sure that people will avoid you in any tight spots and the jersey and helmet will let you suck wheels at will, because a ( insert favorite insult here) could never be strong enough to do a decent pull. Then when you end up in the breakaway, you can wait for the sprint, because we all know Huffys are too heavy for a sprint.
Victory is yours!
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 12-23-23, 03:44 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
In the 1970s I do remember allot of teens would tilt drop bars up and back on their Ten Speeds... Ha

It was common and oddly I can't seem ta find a picture.

Last edited by zandoval; 12-23-23 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-23-23, 03:54 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
In the 1970s I do remember allot of teens would tilt drop bars up and back on their Ten Speeds... Ha
For a good while in the oughts, seemed like the riders on the streets who appeared as bums (who perhaps still had to get to the bars after a dwi) were all on bikes set up that way.

But I haven't seen many handlebars set that way in recent years, perhaps because the over-supply of old road bikes pouring into thrift stores has dried up a bit since 2002.
Or perhaps because of lax enforcement out on the roads, they're still driving?
Likes For dddd:
Old 12-23-23, 08:12 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
It started in the mid '70s and was out of favor by '88 or so. Bike Ribbon padded tape became big around then.
Maybe, but I remember a significant amount of the stuff at a local crit that likely happened not too far from '88. I will freely admit that I much prefer sponge cork whether in a garish design or not. Benotto is just wonderful for transmitting road buzz right into one's wrists. Yucko!
Old 12-23-23, 08:18 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
For a good while in the oughts, seemed like the riders on the streets who appeared as bums (who perhaps still had to get to the bars after a dwi) were all on bikes set up that way.

But I haven't seen many handlebars set that way in recent years, perhaps because the over-supply of old road bikes pouring into thrift stores has dried up a bit since 2002.
Or perhaps because of lax enforcement out on the roads, they're still driving?
Darwin collected all the tweakers.
Old 12-23-23, 08:24 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Schwinn had one like that but a segment of a nickel plated Varsity, Huret mfg derailleurs, small rotating handle on the drive side to impart the demo movement. Was useful to help show cross chaining that was high wear and drag. That one had to keep pedaling to shift. A problem was a few of the Japanese front mechs were forward to move to the big ring, not back. Could confuse some.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-23-23, 08:24 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
Some people made and drilled up their own parts:

Old 12-23-23, 08:57 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
Maybe, but I remember a significant amount of the stuff at a local crit that likely happened not too far from '88. I will freely admit that I much prefer sponge cork whether in a garish design or not. Benotto is just wonderful for transmitting road buzz right into one's wrists. Yucko!
If one wanted actual shock absorption, one installed Grab-Ons, which I did on my touring bike. Benotto is about as shock-absorbing (and grippy) as cellophane (which it seemed to resemble.) But Benotto users could look down their snobby noses at those lost souls who had (gasp) Hunt-Wilde tape on their bars. Even though they both were remarkably similar, only the Hunt-Wilde bar plugs were vastly superior.

But I knew if I had Grab-Ons on my racer in competition, that would be a bit too much for those who would forgive my use of non-Superbe Suntour componentry. "Real" racers Just Didn't Do That back then.

Knowing what I know now, I 'd probably install half-Grab-Ons under cloth tape, and them devise some convincingly-conveyed story such as "you mean you haven't heard this is the new thing they're using in the Spring Classics?" Still probably wouldn't get away with it, but at least I'd have handlebar cushiness.
Old 12-23-23, 09:06 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
If one wanted actual shock absorption, one installed Grab-Ons, which I did on my touring bike. Benotto is about as shock-absorbing (and grippy) as cellophane (which it seemed to resemble.) But Benotto users could look down their snobby noses at those lost souls who had (gasp) Hunt-Wilde tape on their bars. Even though they both were remarkably similar, only the Hunt-Wilde bar plugs were vastly superior.

But I knew if I had Grab-Ons on my racer in competition, that would be a bit too much for those who would forgive my use of non-Superbe Suntour componentry. "Real" racers Just Didn't Do That back then.

Knowing what I know now, I 'd probably install half-Grab-Ons under cloth tape, and them devise some convincingly-conveyed story such as "you mean you haven't heard this is the new thing they're using in the Spring Classics?" Still probably wouldn't get away with it, but at least I'd have handlebar cushiness.
Hunt-Wilde plugs were OEM on Masi Carlsbad bikes. By order omission they had to scramble to get them in. None came from Italy in the materials “kit”. White only.

Grab On later had a thin version, approx 3mm, maybe 2.5mm thick. Looked less bloated.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-23-23, 10:31 PM
retroshifter
too many bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
“Lightweight” rim strips

In the 1980’s some of us used packing tape in place of the rubber rim strips or Velox cloth tape to save a few grams of rotating weight. I have since switched to the thin plastic strips that are much better, but I don’t think those were widely available in the early 80s
Old 12-24-23, 12:22 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 210 Posts
Drillum, yes, Eddy Merckx started at 1969 Tour de France.

I don't know who milled and polished this seat post.

Likes For darkmoon:
Old 12-24-23, 01:51 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Schwinn had one like that but a segment of a nickel plated Varsity, Huret mfg derailleurs, small rotating handle on the drive side to impart the demo movement. Was useful to help show cross chaining that was high wear and drag. That one had to keep pedaling to shift. A problem was a few of the Japanese front mechs were forward to move to the big ring, not back. Could confuse some.
A local shop used to be a Schwinn shop back in the day, and still keeps that shifting trainer on display behind the counter. Maybe they still pull it down to help out new customers?? It was a great way to introduce folks to the mysteries of derailleurs in the 70's. I do like the carry handle with the handlebar grip on it.
I do wonder if Jon Williams was intentionally emulating the appearance of it when he created his drillium version.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-24-23, 01:59 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
For some reason, that just looks sooo wrong to me.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 12-24-23, 02:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
For some reason, that just looks sooo wrong to me.....
Yeah, it was being scrapped so I grabbed it.

Story goes it was ridden many miles but.........

don't think I ever would.

It was pretty rough and actually cleaned up well, I have considered adding an internal sleeve, but again.........
Old 12-24-23, 04:29 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Story goes it was ridden many miles but.........
don't think I ever would.
An ex-teammate of mine was badly injured when his seatpost shaft broke, and the remaining shard "ripped him a new one". I wasn't there but heard about it. He was off the bike for a long time and even quit cycling for a while (can't blame him), though I heard more recently he's back to riding.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-24-23, 09:37 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
An ex-teammate of mine was badly injured when his seatpost shaft broke, and the remaining shard "ripped him a new one". I wasn't there but heard about it. He was off the bike for a long time and even quit cycling for a while (can't blame him), though I heard more recently he's back to riding.
Was it a drillium part? Any confirmation on the post brand/material?

Old 12-24-23, 09:55 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Was it a drillium part? Any confirmation on the post brand/material?
It was cabron, not drilled
Old 12-25-23, 12:42 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by cegerer
Titanium components from Pino Morroni. I had his quick-release skewers on my Assenmacher late 70s. Interesting article here: TheRetroGrouch - Pino

What year Porsche, early 70's?
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-25-23, 07:23 AM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
What year Porsche, early 70's?
Best, Ben
Good eye 1971 911, sold a few years back. Saved one of the keys.

Likes For cegerer:
Old 12-25-23, 10:01 AM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
Sometimes they'd go too far perhaps. The other brake lever snapped on this bike:

Likes For cheffyjay:
Old 12-25-23, 11:49 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by cegerer
Good eye 1971 911, sold a few years back. Saved one of the keys.
Yes , know them well................71E

Still have it................
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-25-23, 03:16 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by cheffyjay
Sometimes they'd go too far perhaps. The other brake lever snapped on this bike
Yeah I got a Frank Spivey drilled Mafac brake lever set for pennies because one side broke in a crash. I'll probably never use it on a bike but I like having this little bit of interesting bike history.

Frank Spivey was never famous exactly but maybe well-known in some circles. He made drilling jigs that allowed him to quickly and precisely drill a series of hole in graduated sizes in things like brake levers, front derailer cages etc.

I started to write "I hate..." but that's too strong, for how I feel about amateur drillium where the holes aren't equally spaced or in a straight line. Not hate, but it ruins the part or even the whole bike, for me.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-25-23, 04:01 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by bulgie

I started to write "I hate..." but that's too strong, for how I feel about amateur drillium where the holes aren't equally spaced or in a straight line. Not hate, but it ruins the part or even the whole bike, for me.
I agree, but there are exceptions, some of the 1960’s pro’s bikes had drilling that was eyeballed, no rotary table, a certain charm that can very quickly drift to careless.
Old 12-25-23, 04:13 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

here's a treasure trove of Frank Spivey parts and drilling jig pictures, on Chuck Schmidt's Velo Retro site:
Velo-Retro: Peter Johnson
Of course the Peter Johnson frame is to die for also.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-25-23, 04:28 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Suntour Winner Ultra-7 freewheel with Aluminum body.
Fiamme Yellow label Ergal rims. I was "heavy" at 170 lbs so I only raced them on the front wheel. Most weight weenie stuff seemed too risky or expensive for little or no benefit.
Weyless Hubs. I still use the front wheel. Rear is 120 mm freewheel
Modolo plastic shifters (snapped in half)
Campy Titanium BB spindle (broke on a group ride). I never would have bought it, but it came on a bike with a damaged frame I bought to use for parts,
Aluminum toe clips (snapped off)

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-25-23 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For Homebrew01:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.