Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 02:53 PM
DAbiker2023

Bikes: 1985 Bridgestone T700, 2000 Flite 300, Jamis Sputnik, 77/78 Motobecane Grand Something, Bridgestone CB1, 75 Takara 732, Austro Daimler Inter10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Lately

I finally put fenders on the Bridgestone. A real pain to put on but I think it turned out well. And found a CB-1 frame on eBay. going to be a grocery hauler.

Likes For DAbiker2023:
Old 01-04-24, 03:29 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I've been wrenching on my new-to-me Libertas mixte. I put in a Tange/IRD roller-bearing headset to replace the old Stronglight loose-ball-bearing headset. The new one has caged roller bearings for the bottom race, and caged ball bearings for the top race. First I had to file down the crown race seat on the fork, from 26.7mm to 26.4mm. No problem.

Crown race seat filed down to 26.4 mm.

Pressing in the lower cup.

Roller bearings for the bottom cup

Steerer tube goes in here...

Fits perfectly.

The top cup actually screws down on the steerer tube on this one, with the top pressed-in piece being a cone for the caged ball bearings.

Engineered to look normal!
Very nice. You don't see to many Libertas bikes on BF. Yours looks to be in great shape. Looking forward to seeing it built up. Maybe that will get me motivated to build the Libertas frame I have hanging on a hook, .
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-05-24, 01:10 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
One week later:
Give me a cheater bar large enough to fit over the wrench....

Give me a lever long enough, a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 01-05-24, 02:29 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Finished the Moho today:
beforeafter by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 01-05-24, 02:30 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
I decided to upgrade my crappy wheel truing stand. I have three sets of new Ambrosio rims on their way and until now I was getting by using a rubbish, portable and folding truing stand. It does the job, but requires extra care and extra time. Just too finicky and I needed something more solid if I'm going to be working on multiple wheelsets. I found the thing below on sale for 30 quid (with delivery). Sure, I'd rather get a Preciray, but that's not something I have budget for or could justify as I don't build wheels commercially. Not mentioning those are not exacly easy to find.
The thing below is Chinese-made, West Biking truing stand. Came flat-packed, so earlier today found a moment to assemble it.
And actually, it's quite alright. Not perfect, I can already see making sure the indicating needles are not slanted will require extra care (and a spirit level, probably). They are mounted on the arms using one bolt each, probably exactly to be able to change angle and use them as roundness indicators and I think a better solution could be found. But, other than that, and short of Preciray it's well worth that 30 quid.

It looks like the next couple of months might be quite busy, actually. Firstly, wheel building. Secondly, cleaning and polishing components for the new build. Got nearly everything, haven't decided on the final pedals and brake calipers yet (but have some I can still use). And finally, today I cheated on Motobecane (again) and got myself a Super Vitus 971 frame by Bernard Carre. What can I say? It was my size and weighs less than 2.6kg, which makes it perfect for a lightweight classic build. It might end up with an unusual componentry for Bernard Carre from the late 70's as most of the stuff I have to put on it is Japanese (SR and Suntour), but with a bit of good luck I might just get the total weight of the built bike to below 8kg.
Of course, now all searching for the Swiss-threaded bottom brackets is going to be pointless and need to find a French threaded one for a change.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 01-05-24, 07:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I have spent a few hours repainting the panto in these levers before mounting them for the Paramount, and now actually doing the tedious work of getting the bars wrapped. I have found that a first layer of Benotto tape protects the bars from a lot of adhesive build up from the tape. Smiles, MH

Levers have been repainted and new covers added.

The first layer of tape is in place and now ready for final color over this layer.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-05-24, 10:17 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts

I’ve been playing around with this Trek 970, decided to restore it back to as close to original as possible after playing around with it as a single speed.

I had some Biopace chainrings on but they didn’t play nicely with the setup. Now I’m on the hunt for suitable
replacements as the middle ring is pretty rough.
Old 01-06-24, 08:57 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Toilet Bowlnago complete...

...and rideably utilitarian.

After

Before

There will be 2 more iterations...the more permanent version of this present state (more modern components)

And the restored version Waaaayyyy down the line.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-06-24, 04:18 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 251 Posts
I spent some time with the curb find 730 Multitrack. I decided to strip it for cleaning and then rebuild it with some parts I removed from my Cannondale Quick 1 - FSA crank along 105 5700 front and rear derailleurs, and an Origin8 quill stem adapter. Please ignore the mess

Likes For Trav1s:
Old 01-06-24, 04:27 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Not wrenching but painting. Got a vail of Celeste off Ebay fully expecting a not perfect match. Needed to fix some areas on the Bianchi Giro. First coat shows the paint match close but a bit blue. So for the second coat today I added two drops of yellow to the paint to get it a bit closer. Once I overfill the chips I'll wet sand it even and then do put on a bit of clearcoat.
Old 01-06-24, 04:53 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
@Trav1s

What mess?

I see nothing!

And just my 2c, I would shine up all the HS pieces and split the two small spacers with the big one in the middle, any symmetry you can create makes a cluster more palatable IMO.

Last edited by merziac; 01-06-24 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-06-24, 07:36 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I have spent a few hours repainting the panto in these levers before mounting them for the Paramount, and now actually doing the tedious work of getting the bars wrapped. I have found that a first layer of Benotto tape protects the bars from a lot of adhesive build up from the tape. Smiles, MH

Levers have been repainted and new covers added.

The first layer of tape is in place and now ready for final color over this layer.

Dave,
Mighty glad to see that you have cleaned, catalogued and organized all of the "C" parts and pieces......Shop looks very tidy now that it's been done, I'll bet that the War Department is pleased as well.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 01-06-24, 09:29 PM
Mad Honk 

Ha! Not all of the stash ,but most of the small parts. The hubs and drive parts still need re-conditioning and then I get to ride some of the bikes here in the shop. Smiles, MH
Old 01-07-24, 03:19 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 535 Posts
Fitted these 8 speed ti shifters and 28c gumwall Veloflex tyres to my Somec....

...but after fiddling for ages to try and grt them to work properly, have discovered the shifters definitely need overhauling and have worn internals as they won't hold in gear. I've only ever taken apart and replaced internals in 10 speed Campag shifters before, so have no experience of doing so with 8 speed, and don't know if they basically operate the same, but it feels like the g-springs/ratchet needs replacing. Are parts even available for these nowadays? I suspect not. Don't suppose anyone is 3d printing Campag 8 speed internals stuff if Campag have officially washed their hands with 8 speed? Or i need to try and find an organ donor i guess.

Anyway that's definitely something to investigate longer term, so in meantime I've got to revert back to the Record shifters i had which worked fine. Annoyingly as my Somec has Delta brakes there's no chance of reusing the new cables I'd just installed and cut to length, and of course I didn't have any spares so had to wait a few days for new ones to arrive. So after much faffing over many days I've basically put back the shifters that were on before and have got new cables and tyres. Bike looks better with gumwall tyres imo, so at least that was worth it.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 01-07-24, 09:54 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by merziac
@Trav1s

What mess?

I see nothing!

And just my 2c, I would shine up all the HS pieces and split the two small spacers with the big one in the middle, any symmetry you can create makes a cluster more palatable IMO.

I guess I'll pull the fork and see what I find. Polishing parts is easy enough. #Imnottaslacker
Old 01-07-24, 10:23 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
So the bike is going back in the shed for some more work in a couple of weeks. I need a couple of very specific parts that are either out of stock for now or will take some time... and I kind of want my kitchen back.

To do:
  • New cottered axle
  • New cotter pins
  • Longer 26.6mm seatpost
  • Pedals
  • The right front tyre
  • Repainting the top tube
  • Special metal wire for the lacquered cloth chaincase, maybe a new frame for the chaincase as well.
  • Figuring out if the drag I hear in the rear wheel is because of the brand new tyre or if there is some space issue
  • Re-attach the fender shield
  • Test drive
  • Double check if the Sturmey Archer GH6 dynamo provides enough power at normal riding speed for both LED lights

Here are some shots of the bike in its current state:

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-07-24, 11:34 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Mafac Coffee Cruiser brakes

unworthy1 set me up with some o-fficial Mafac hangers. Getting those installed.
i had plans to move my Grand Comp 610s to another bike in the spring until a snapped the front brake trying to bend the straddle attachment straight….

Old 01-07-24, 01:50 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by Trav1s
I guess I'll pull the fork and see what I find. Polishing parts is easy enough. #Imnottaslacker
Found a package of new spacers and swapped 3 for 2. Installed the SKS fenders I picked up on FB marketplace for $10. Lost and found several bearing while cleaning the headset. The old grease was white and smelled like crayons. 😳

The stem and bars were borrowed from another bike. I’m not sure if they will stay or get replaced with a set I found on FB marketplace.

Old 01-07-24, 03:05 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts

The final winter form for the Trek. Summer wheels and tires are waiting. Unsure of where to take the drivetrain, the middle chainring is worn out but will do for the winter.
Likes For Tango1:
Old 01-07-24, 04:00 PM
Mad Honk 

I'm not really sure why, but I have had a hard time getting to set up the bars and tape. Maybe just because it is kinda tedious work, or maybe I'm too darned fussy. But over the last two days I finally got the bar set up for the Paramount finished. 1 single wrap of Benotto underlayment to protect the bars from adhesive residue, and then two layers of Benotto over that for the finished set up. It took a few hours to repaint the panto for the levers and a bit of wrestling to get the lever covers on the brake levers. Then a few more hours to get the tape wrapped. Now they are finished and ready for the bike. Smiles, MH

Finally finished. I use wine corks for the end plugs and I have found it is a lot easier if I grind a taper into the cork before pushing it into the bars. I like the idea of not having a plastic cap that can get snagged and pull out of the bars allowing the tape to unravel.

Last edited by Mad Honk; 01-07-24 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-07-24, 05:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
I finished truing the tubular wheelset for my Paramount last week. I used fiber Dremel wheels to remove the small amount of very old glue on them and today I mounted the new Vittoria Corsas, just in time for the first snow storm of the season to arrive this weekend.

Looks gorgeous. Do you think you'll decide you're nuts? I remember tubulars. I even have them on a track bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 01-07-24, 05:53 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I'm not really sure why, but I have had a hard time getting to set up the bars and tape. Maybe just because it is kinda tedious work, or maybe I'm too darned fussy. But over the last two days I finally got the bar set up for the Paramount finished. 1 single wrap of Benotto underlayment to protect the bars from adhesive residue, and then two layers of Benotto over that for the finished set up. It took a few hours to repaint the panto for the levers and a bit of wrestling to get the lever covers on the brake levers. Then a few more hours to get the tape wrapped. Now they are finished and ready for the bike. Smiles, MH

Finally finished. I use wine corks for the end plugs and I have found it is a lot easier if I grind a taper into the cork before pushing it into the bars. I like the idea of not having a plastic cap that can get snagged and pull out of the bars allowing the tape to unravel.
You inspired me to finally deal with the hoods on the Matsu****a. For whatever reason (probably because Superbe brake blocks and cable adjusters use brown rubber and because the tyres were going to be tan-walled ones) I decided to use brown ones and over time that started bothering me a bit too much. I didn't feel like unwrapping the tape this time though. Thankfully, these brake levers are easy to take off, which really helps with the hoods. I have slightly adjusted position of the levers, though I guess at some point I will have to unwrap the bars and adjust the levers again until I'm 100% happy with them. I might follow your example and put two layers of tape, but cotton one. Or maybe just get some natural leather this time?
For now I will ride the bicycle the way it is until I have a moment to spare. This might take a while as I have another frame on its way and that will require some work.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 01-07-24, 06:19 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Looks gorgeous. Do you think you'll decide you're nuts? I remember tubulars. I even have them on a track bike.
I’m pleased with the wheels, the aesthetics matter on this bike (yeah I know, I care about them all). Catch-22 comes to mind: if I decide I’m nuts then I must be sane, and if I think I’m sane then I must be nuts. Either way I get to keep the tubulars 😁

Likes For ascherer:
Old 01-07-24, 07:33 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Non vintage warning. Something I kind of wanted when I was working at the bike shop in the late 2000's, and finally got one
15 years later. Yeah it's a full carbon hotrod. Riding this might get me back in shape though. Since I stopped riding in 2018, I am
always sore and stiff. Maybe a 20 mile ride every weekend will help. Got a Concor Supercorsa saddle on the way. I bought
cables, but inexperienced bike shop worker gave me wrong housing for both shifters and brakes. Got those on the way too.
Should be a flyer. Not sure whatever happened to my helmet, so will have to buy another one of those. The foam is probably
all rotten wherever it is.

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-07-24 at 08:10 PM.
Likes For Bikedued:
Old 01-08-24, 07:27 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
This Domane is thinking it's a vintage bike now it's wearing fenders. Ready to strut around in the wet.
Likes For BTinNYC:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.