Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Comp GS - a “pay it forward” build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 04:59 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts

I recently acquired this nice Reynolds 531 Raleigh frameset from Mad Honk , who sent it my way for just the cost of shipping. As received (+ headset and seatpost from my pile):

I built it entirely with parts I had laying around, with the exception of saddle, bar tape and cables. Oh, and a lovely crankset scored from Sactown_Albert . The saddle and tape don’t quite match but a couple rides with dirty paws ought to take care of that.

Even found a Raleigh head badge from a trashed frame in the scrap heap:

All in all I think it came out pretty nice. The powdercoat is hard to capture but is a lovely metallic red. Weighs in at 23lbs, 1oz.
Old 12-13-23, 05:12 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
Very nice build. I like the color and the saddle - bar tape are fine . So , this is a Competition GS with Record decals? It doesn’t look like my ‘77 Comp GS that has all cable guide clamp ons.. Maybe the braze ons have been added prior to powder paint? It certainly looks more updated this way. If it anything like mine it will ride nicely. Joe
Old 12-13-23, 05:31 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Very nice build. I like the color and the saddle - bar tape are fine . So , this is a Competition GS with Record decals? It doesn’t look like my ‘77 Comp GS that has all cable guide clamp ons.. Maybe the braze ons have been added prior to powder paint? It certainly looks more updated this way. If it anything like mine it will ride nicely. Joe
According to Mad Honk, the frame was repaired years ago by Keith Anderson (who coincidentally taught a frame building class I took 13 years or so ago), I believe the cable guides were added then. Mad Honk had it powder coated and applied the decals more recently. It is a ‘77 Competition GS.
Old 12-13-23, 05:55 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts

1977 Competition GS
That makes sense. It really does look different than what I am used to seeing with chrome socks. They are really nice riding bikes ….and fairly light!

Last edited by Kabuki12; 12-13-23 at 05:58 PM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-13-23, 06:12 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
When I put the decals on it there was no history of what model it was. I just put on something that was a conservative look so the Record decal went on. Later found out it was a Comp GS but the decals had been lacquer coated and I left them on. I did a full disclosure before sending it out. Details of the work was verified by Doug Fattic, who recognized the work by Keith Anderson when they were both working in the Indianapolis area. I hope this helps. The bike looks good and will be a pretty nice replacement for Brian's broken previous ride. Brian, ride it a lot and enjoy it, I am glad you have it up and running. Good on ya! Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-13-23, 06:20 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Brian,
A tip of the hat to hazetguy who generously provided the Raleigh seat post binder bolt for the frame. Smiles, MH
Old 12-13-23, 07:40 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Dave is one of the most kind and generous people that I have ever met........always paying fprward and and only expecting a smile.
My Best to Mad Honk

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-13-23 at 07:43 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-14-23, 02:21 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
That is fantastic. Two thumbs up all the way around, to everyone involved.