Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

UMCA announces a new record category: highest annual mileage

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

UMCA announces a new record category: highest annual mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 06:49 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dual650c
What surprises me is that UCMA is charging $300 just to attempt this record.
I'm not sure why that is considered appropriate for any reason.
Stuff like that is why I rarely race any more and why I am a big fan of the "no entry fee, no prizes" self supported races like the Tour Divide and Trans Am.
Old 12-01-14, 07:10 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
What surprises me is that UCMA is charging $300 just to attempt this record.
I'm not sure why that is considered appropriate for any reason.
That makes perfect sense to me. First off, if you're spending a year of your life cycling 200 miles a day, then $300 is the merest pittance in your expenses. Then just having to wade through the files and paperwork to have some confidence that it's accurate would be an exceedingly time-consuming task, so you'd like to eliminate people like myself that might enter if there's no cost, but have zero chance of winning, either.

On the Ken Webb issue- I suspect Guinness got some reasonably good reason to doubt the achievement, but didn't want to open themselves to a libel claim by going into details, so they just quietly shoved it aside.

I don't know the individual at all- but anybody riding 200 miles a day AND working seems very highly questionable to me. Of course, I can't fathom who in their right mind would go ride miles on a bike so their friend could get a record, either.

I remember hearing the story about a guy that was trying to beat the Strava record on a certain climb and finally figured out the person he was trying to beat was just going up the hill in a car or motorcycle. I'm not sure what's to prevent that happening here.
Old 12-01-14, 07:38 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I remember hearing the story about a guy that was trying to beat the Strava record on a certain climb and finally figured out the person he was trying to beat was just going up the hill in a car or motorcycle. I'm not sure what's to prevent that happening here.
This happens every once in a while at Strava (someone forgets to stop the timer on the GPS after a ride, shoves the bike into the trunk of the car, drives home, does the upload and becomes a proud owner of any number of KOMs, many of them far beyond reasonable speed). It's usually not hard to tell that the KOM is spurious.
UMCA requires all GPS uploads for the challenge to include either power, heart rate, or both. That would prevent you from racking up miles in a car (at least without having to commit further fraud by doctoring GPS data files).
Old 12-02-14, 01:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
strava detects a gps riding in a car and repeated offenders can be banned. They also allow flagging. So what I do is pick out someone who is, say, third on a segment and ride my electric bike a rate just faster than theirs. Drives 'em nuts
Old 12-03-14, 02:07 PM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This response may lead to topic drift - respond/ignore it as you will.

Originally Posted by StephenH
That makes perfect sense to me. First off, if you're spending a year of your life cycling 200 miles a day, then $300 is the merest pittance in your expenses. Then just having to wade through the files and paperwork to have some confidence that it's accurate would be an exceedingly time-consuming task, so you'd like to eliminate people like myself that might enter if there's no cost, but have zero chance of winning, either.
I'm glad you think it's sensible. UCMA may find someone else beside you to give them $300 for no pertinent reason.

I say "no pertinent reason" because it's my understanding that UCMA is a non-profit. Any fees it charges are theoretically directly used to finance the organization's expenses. Record verification in this case actually costs nothing - just a person's (volunteer?) time. Publishing the result costs some minimal amount additional to its current publishing expenses. So the $300 is either going to compensate that person for his/her time or be overkill in terms of publishing the result online/somewhere.

As far as it being time-consuming to wade thru the data, shrug. So what? An intermediately skilled coder/Excel user can write a verification program for the GPS submission data in very little time, I'm sure. [I'd probably be able to do it myself and I'm certainly no expert.] Once developed, the program/process can be used repeatedly - oh, btw, the UCMA says they get to approve what on-bike recording methods/devices are okay ahead of time. UCMA thus will have major control over the verification process and could thereby limit the need for manual/non-automated verification and minimize any costs.

Volunteers in similar organizations are rarely compensated for their time, so why a $300 entry fee just to attempt the record? (I assume nothing will be refunded if the attempt is stopped prior to the year's end. Ex., Day 2 - car accident; end of attempt; no refund. $300 down the tube. Cost to the person attempting being "a pittance" has nothing to do with my point; $300 profit for UCMA.)

Sorry. I just can't find any real justification for a $300 fee just to begin an attempt to break a record. I've never heard of other records requiring a similar "attempt" fee - other than a truly minor fee (under $25) and then only upon submission of the record attempt results. I have heard of this fee explained as an "application/verification" fee, but again, that's post-attempt.

Perhaps I'm uninformed. Then again, to me, $300 isn't "trivial" even in my 6th decade.
YMMV

Last edited by dual650c; 12-03-14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 03:01 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They charge $65 for attempts to break other solo records (e.g. 24-hour road record, which currently stands at 521.98 miles). But that money includes the cost of dispatching an official to observe the attempt.

A 365-day record attempt may involve an official being sent out multiple times to do random checks, explaining a higher cost.

BTW, if someone on the West Coast wants a record that is relatively easy-pickings, there is currently NO standing record on north-south crossing of California in any men's categories, and no record on either of the two west-east crossings in men's 18-49 category. (They have a number of west-east recorded attempts in the past, but the route was redefined in 2008 to avoid traffic and there were apparently no attempts since.) Southern west-east crossing is Ventura-Palmdale-Victorville-Twentynine Palms-Parker. Northern west-east crossing is Point Arena to Lake Tahoe. Either one is ~320 miles.
Old 12-03-14, 03:03 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm glad you think it's sensible. UCMA may find someone else beside you to give them $300 for no pertinent reason.

I say "no pertinent reason" because it's my understanding that UCMA is a non-profit. Any fees it charges are theoretically directly used to finance the organization's expenses. Record verification in this case actually costs nothing - just a person's (volunteer?) time. Publishing the result costs some minimal amount additional to its current publishing expenses. So the $300 is either going to compensate that person for his/her time or be overkill in terms of publishing the result online/somewhere.

As far as it being time-consuming to wade thru the data, shrug. So what? An intermediately skilled coder/Excel user can write a verification program for the GPS submission data in very little time, I'm sure. [I'd probably be able to do it myself and I'm certainly no expert.] Once developed, the program/process can be used repeatedly - oh, btw, the UCMA says they get to approve what on-bike recording methods/devices are okay ahead of time. UCMA thus will have major control over the verification process and could thereby limit the need for manual/non-automated verification and minimize any costs.

Volunteers in similar organizations are rarely compensated for their time, so why a $300 entry fee just to attempt the record? (I assume nothing will be refunded if the attempt is stopped prior to the year's end. Ex., Day 2 - car accident; end of attempt; no refund. $300 down the tube. Cost to the person attempting being "a pittance" has nothing to do with my point; $300 profit for UCMA.)

Sorry. I just can't find any real justification for a $300 fee just to begin an attempt to break a record. I've never heard of other records requiring a similar "attempt" fee - other than a truly minor fee (under $25) and then only upon submission of the record attempt results. I have heard of this fee explained as an "application/verification" fee, but again, that's post-attempt.

Perhaps I'm uninformed. Then again, to me, $300 isn't "trivial" even in my 6th decade.
YMMV
I won't give a dime to the UMCA (again, I did at one time) - but I'm on the Board of Directors of a national non profit. Our members pay dues, and certain programs cost money.

Yes, the 'non profit' part is so that individuals can't profit from the work of the organization. It doesn't mean that the organization can't charge money for services or events, sell ads in its newsletter, run an online store, etc. etc... so long as the $$ coming in relates to the mission of the organization.

As to the suitability of this $300 fee, I could care less, about as little as I do about someone trying to ride their bike this much for some sort of record.
Old 12-03-14, 04:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
there are one-day events that cost less than that
Old 12-03-14, 07:03 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

I say "no pertinent reason" because ...
YMMV
If you are seriously interested in going for that record, have a year free, have the money for all the supplies and bike upkeep and don't need to work, etc., I would suggest contacting UMCA and see if they'll waive that fee for you. Heck, take up a collection here.

I was thinking RAAM costs something like $3,000, typical long-distance races cost varying amounts, so that $300 doesn't sound like much to me, considering the nature of the event. I'm planning to ride a 200k brevet in late January, and I'll spend more than that riding it. Riding the 75,000 miles or whatever would probably rack up about $5,000 of chains and tires.
Old 12-03-14, 07:55 PM
dual650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are seriously interested in going for that record...
You misunderstood my comment apparently. I have no interest in such a record. However, I am gobsmacked that UCMA would charge that much for an "attempt fee". That's all.

I may have misread YOUR response to be that you would pay the fee without a second thought were you to make such an attempt.

Hope I've made myself clear now.
(No interest in myself riding like that - it would turn riding into a job.)
Old 12-06-14, 01:48 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by c.miller64
I don't do Faceache. Any other places that he is letting people know what he is doing?
Old 12-06-14, 09:54 AM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LWaB
I don't do Faceache. Any other places that he is letting people know what he is doing?
His web page is Racing Across America For Methodist Childrens Home, but at the moment it's only showing info from his last RAAM.
Old 12-06-14, 05:01 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for that. I'm impressed that several people are tackling the record on multiple continents next year. It harks back to the 1930s when people were simultaneously competing for the record around the globe. I'm looking forward to watching how they are going through the year.

Does anybody know the vaguely rumoured second USAian fellow targeting this record?
Old 12-07-14, 07:43 AM
c.miller64

Does anybody know the vaguely rumoured second USAian fellow targeting this record?
William "Ironox" Pruett.
Old 12-08-14, 11:21 AM
LWaB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by c.miller64
William "Ironox" Pruett.
Thanks for that.

It is interesting that Steve will be starting his attempt on Jan 1st while Kurt starts a couple of day afterwards. Like having somebody sitting on your wheel for a year then trying to sprint past when the finish line comes into view.
Old 12-08-14, 04:27 PM
c.miller64

It is interesting that Steve will be starting his attempt on Jan 1st while Kurt starts a couple of day afterwards. Like having somebody sitting on your wheel for a year then trying to sprint past when the finish line comes into view.
It's going to be a lot of fun to follow, and knowing Kurt, I'm sure he's going to come out of the gate fast and rack up some very big miles in the first month or two.

I'll have a chance to ride along for some of them as he's going to be spending most of Jan and Feb riding here in Florida.
Old 12-09-14, 12:25 AM
LWaB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No doubt Kurt will take an early lead. Steve has already posted a couple of mileage schedules on his website, taking account of expected conditions.
Old 12-09-14, 12:46 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'll be interested to see what results from this. Didn't Guinness decide to stop recognizing the highest mileage after Tommy Godwin's run because they figured it was too dangerous?
Godwin lost the ability to walk after he set the record.
Old 12-09-14, 01:04 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
$300 for an "attempt" seems cheap enough. Consider it at less than $1 per day for riding.

You could probably do the attempt without UMCA. Get a sponsor like Bicycling magazine to track and verify your mileage.

Anyway, I'd object if they were charging in excess of $3000.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding Ken Webb. Hopefully the new system has adequate biometric monitoring to prevent fraud.
Old 01-01-15, 04:34 PM
dual650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CNN article - Cycling's marathon man attempts year-long endurance record
Cycling's marathon man attempts 75,000 miles in a year - CNN.com

Mentions both the Brit and American men starting their attempts.
Old 01-04-15, 03:12 AM
madmax8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
Being able to avoid hills is key. Accumulating sleep deficit is not an option, so he essentially needs to ride one 14-hour double century a day. Even if the guy is really strong VO2max wise, doing this on a course that's more than ~50'/mile is next to impossible.

Since the ideal route is flat, the challenge is biased in favor of recumbents. Faired recumbents are explicitly banned by the rules, but an unfaired recumbent should still have an advantage over an upright road bike.

Relative flatness of England is probably an advantage. Which is why both Tommy Godwin and the guy above are UK-based. The web site about Tommy Godwin describes one of the routes (Winchester to Canterbury), 120 miles which he managed at 20 mph average. Plotting it in RWGPS gives me 49'/mile, but I think it's an overestimate (most "hills" along the route are 20-40 foot high bumps at a gentle grade.)
You also have to factor in the weather conditions. Steve set out today in -2, foggy, icy conditions. Not sure how much weather is going to affect the two Americans. I'd also bet the road conditions are far better wherever the Americans cycle, UK roads are very poor, full of potholes.
Old 01-04-15, 11:40 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Abraham's been an interesting follow on Strava so far.

If I had to choose UK vs. US, I would choose the US based purely on its size. Seems like you could get in more variety and you could have decent weather for a whole year. Start off somewhere like Florida, then move on in the spring as the weather improves across the country. I would definitely need a change of scenery from time to time. I live in a beautiful place with great riding and even I get tired of the same old stuff. My maximum mileage per year has only been in the 12,000s, so I can't even imagine what it would be like doing more than 6x as many miles.

Then again, there's no reason he couldn't start off in Spain or something if he wanted to. I'm sure he has his own reasons for staying in the UK.
Old 01-04-15, 12:28 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax8
You also have to factor in the weather conditions. Steve set out today in -2, foggy, icy conditions. Not sure how much weather is going to affect the two Americans. I'd also bet the road conditions are far better wherever the Americans cycle, UK roads are very poor, full of potholes.
Eek. Not fun, not fun at all. But his first three rides back up my point. His hilliest ride yet was 36'/mile with overall pace just under 15 hours per 200 miles (13.6 mph including stops). Unless he picks up the pace when the weather improves or he finds even flatter routes, it may be tight.

The Arkansas guy mentioned in the CNN article is arguably going to have it even worse. In winter, Arkansas is as cold as central England, but it is considerably wetter. In summer, England is mild, Arkansas gets quite nasty (hot and humid, average July high +34 C, average low +23 C, average monthly precipitation 83 mm vs. London's 44 mm). If I were him, I'd ride nights and sleep through midday all summer.

Originally Posted by DXchulo
If I had to choose UK vs. US, I would choose the US based purely on its size. Seems like you could get in more variety and you could have decent weather for a whole year. Start off somewhere like Florida, then move on in the spring as the weather improves across the country. I would definitely need a change of scenery from time to time. I live in a beautiful place with great riding and even I get tired of the same old stuff. My maximum mileage per year has only been in the 12,000s, so I can't even imagine what it would be like doing more than 6x as many miles.

Then again, there's no reason he couldn't start off in Spain or something if he wanted to. I'm sure he has his own reasons for staying in the UK.
Reasons are probably mainly logistics. It's a big enough obstacle that you can't work for a year. To do what you describe, you need to have someone move your stuff from place to place for you, rent apartments / hotel rooms in different places, etc.
Old 01-04-15, 02:30 PM
c.miller64

Originally Posted by hamster
The Arkansas guy mentioned in the CNN article is arguably going to have it even worse. In winter, Arkansas is as cold as central England, but it is considerably wetter. In summer, England is mild, Arkansas gets quite nasty (hot and humid, average July high +34 C, average low +23 C, average monthly precipitation 83 mm vs. London's 44 mm). If I were him, I'd ride nights and sleep through midday all summer.
Kurt will be starting in Florida, not Arkansas.
Old 01-04-15, 06:44 PM
LWaB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have a look at Steve's schedules on his website, drawn from both Tommy's ride and from Steve's experience of riding 40,500km of 200+km brevets in the 2007 season. Steve expects to speed up as conditions improve and to slow down when they deteriorate. Kurt's published schedule mirrors Steve's.

It wouldn't be surprising if Kurt went fast from the ***. So did a couple of competitors during Tommy's record. They got beaten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.