Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

300km route from Athens

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 01:25 PM
khernik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
300km route from Athens

Im flying to Athens in a month, ill be renting a preferably trekking bike, and I want to go for a 300km route.

Right now my max is 200km, but Ive got a month to train for it.

The problem is that I have to plan an interedting route, where I can see some cities on the way, cool places, beaches, or something, ride 300km from Athens, and then go back by train or something.

Do you know any cool routes that suits this description? And whats most important, do you know how do I get back to Athens.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-15, 09:50 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Make it a loop instead of a 1-way ride and that will solve the problem of getting back.
Check route profiles. If it's more hilly/mountainous there than where you live, it can make it difficult to train for.
Is this a 1-day ride?
Old 09-22-15, 06:02 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My lady and I did some cycle touring west of Athens near Easter, followed up by a 400km brevet that looped through the Peloponnese (hilly but gorgeous). We took the train to get away from Athens (strongly recommended) and bikes are carried on long distance coaches. Contact the local randonneurs for details of routes.
Old 09-23-15, 02:42 AM
RockaRolla
vive la velorution

Bikes: Bianchi 928 SL IASP, ORBEA Onix 2008 (road), IDEAL Integrator 2007(trekking off road), IDEAL Pro-rider 2004 (MTB), Gitane GTN1500 (tandem)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The typical 300km brevet from Athens, goes from Athens to Atalanti (North - North East of Athens) and back to Athens.
The 600km brevet from Athens goes all the way to Larissa and back to Athens (again North of Athens, .... halfway to Thessaloniki).
You can get back by bus. The buses are called "KTEL" or "ΚΤΕΛ" in Greek letters. You can put the bike in the low compartment, maybe remove the frond wheel first, or whatever says the bus driver. It costs nothing (for the bike). There might be a problem ONLY if the bus is too full and all passengers carry lots of baggage. It is not frequent, but it can happen (solution = you take the next KTEL bus).

But, if I were you, I would go to Peloponnese (West - South West of Athens).
You take the old national road towards Korinthos, you pass many beautiful sights, approx. 70% of the route is just next to the sea.
In villages near Isthmos, in Korinth (and after Korinthos, everywhere) you can take a swim at the sea.

BE EXTRA CAREFUL. DO NOT go into "new" National Roads. Drivers do not pay attention to cyclists. Be extra careful at all times (I am talking about road safety - everything else is VERY safe).

You will find many places along the way to refill bottles or to eat a snack / toast / fruits / coffee etc.

If you choose the route to Korinthos etc, note that except form KTEL buses, there is also the suburban railway. Much faster, modern and clean. Also cheaper.

If it is going to be "cycling on a sunny day" beware of the sun. Use sun protection, even if it is October.
Have you checked about renting a trekking bike in Athens? Which store? What bike? What size? Ask the shop for specific details. Tell them that you are planning a 300km trip.
What about helmet, bike lights etc? Are you bringing your own?

Are you planning to make the trip (cycling) alone?

In 3 OCT 2015 there is a 200km brevet from Xylokastro in Peloponnese (ΞΥΛΟΚΑΣΤΡΟ / Ξυλόκαστρο). Check it out.

Contact the following groups / forums, for general details / information regarding cycling in Greece:

Cyclist Friends
********************??.gr | **********??? ********** **********??, ??? **********?, ??? **********!
********** ??? **********???? - https://www.filoi-podilatou.gr
blecyclingclub
Old 09-23-15, 12:16 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the detailed response
Old 09-24-15, 12:26 AM
RockaRolla
vive la velorution

Bikes: Bianchi 928 SL IASP, ORBEA Onix 2008 (road), IDEAL Integrator 2007(trekking off road), IDEAL Pro-rider 2004 (MTB), Gitane GTN1500 (tandem)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are welcome

Here is the route for the 200km Brevet in Xilokastro (Ξυλόκαστρο):
Openrunner - Planificateur de parcours de randonnée multi-activités - Calcul d'itinéraire - Calcul du dénivelé cumulé - Profil altimétrique - Export et Import Traces GPS
It is just an indication for the general area that i wrote above.
Find on the map Athens (zoom out and go EAST). Then move towards WEST: -> Elefsina -> Nea Peramos -> Megara -> Kineta -> Ag. Theodoroi -> Isthmia -> Korinth -> Lechaio -> Vrahati -> Velo etc .....

STAY AWAY from all DARK yellow marked roads (New National Road, no bicycles allowed). If you zoom in, you will see that there are white marked roads (these are smaller or Old National roads, where cyclists are safe....... ehm........safeR........... and allowed to pass).

Greeks generally "speak" English, mainly young people / students etc, (usually they are shy at first, but if you ask them with a smile, they will do their best to give you directions......).

Going solo...... well.......
.... maybe you could find some local randonneurs.....