Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Causes This Type Of Damage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 05:38 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I have French replacement chrome-plated CroMo fork. I'll dig it out and take a look. Offered it to a Peugeot guy years ago but he passed.
Those forks sold as replacements often had a ridiculous number of threads, trying to fit all frame sizes with one fork. Those sellers should be hung up by their thumbs!

True, they make a perfectly fine replacement for a small enough frame where the bottom of the threads happens to end up in the right place. But on the biggest frame they fit, the quill is definitely going to be tightening on the threaded part. (And the bigger rider on that bigger frame is probably heavier, stresses bike parts more.).

Imagine you're JRA when the whole stem/bars are suddenly no longer attached by anything but the brake cables. It breaks free with the top of the steerer, headset screwed race and top nut still attached. It'll probably happen when you're hitting the brakes hard on a downhill, so your weight is shifted forward, and there ain't no recovering from that. you're goin' down. If it snaps from hitting a big pot hole then at least you have some chance of riding it to a stop. Luckily the brakes still work, but the bike won't steer great with no upper headset anymore, broken end of the steerer rubbing on the inside of the head tube and flopping around <shiver>.

George Hincapie crashed when his steerer broke near the top, and he was a very experienced pro at the time. Most amateurs will be toast.
"OK we get it Mark, it's bad — enough already!" OK, I will drop it now!

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-02-23, 05:44 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Too bad you are in the states, I could give you a strong(er) period correct Gitane fork (although in peacock blue) from a tandem with intact filing where only the steerer is not like a spaghetti. Must have been hit by a CAT mining machine.
Old 03-02-23, 06:02 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts

The immortal words of the BF resident Gitane expert, one Wolfram Verktyg, instantly came to mind as I saw the graphic details - Ham-fisted Hammersmith.
Old 03-02-23, 06:03 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Maybe. But that expander/wedge should be below those threads, not completely above where they start. That silly minimum insertion line is there for that reason. Also, the bottom of the stem being there means it is too high, so a larger than intended maximum bending force (that would push back on the stem bottom when you press down on the bars hitting say a pothole). And that greater than intended bending force is resisted by a shorter lever. The force at the bottom of the stem resisting bending is in proportion to the inverse of the lever length. Say this stem was only inserted 2/3s of the way to to the min insertion line. Well, that's 1 1/2 X the bigger than designed for bending force applied at the weakest part of the steerer.

If that crack is not at the back of the steerer (your picture doesn't give any clues), I'll put on my dunce cap and go sit in the corner.
There were a bunch of decades before the CPSC minimum insertion line.
the extra threads below what the headset could use is not helping, but might well have made one fork fit multiple frame sizes.

way back it was a mechanic's judgement to prevent this or a stem failure. 55mm was the amount I typically made sure was min insertion.

on this fork 55 mm would just be beyond the threads.

assigned risk
Old 03-03-23, 06:32 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie

Those forks sold as replacements often had a ridiculous number of threads, trying to fit all frame sizes with one fork. Those sellers should be hung up by their thumbs!

True, they make a perfectly fine replacement for a small enough frame where the bottom of the threads happens to end up in the right place. But on the biggest frame they fit, the quill is definitely going to be tightening on the threaded part. (And the bigger rider on that bigger frame is probably heavier, stresses bike parts more.).

Imagine you're JRA when the whole stem/bars are suddenly no longer attached by anything but the brake cables. It breaks free with the top of the steerer, headset screwed race and top nut still attached. It'll probably happen when you're hitting the brakes hard on a downhill, so your weight is shifted forward, and there ain't no recovering from that. you're goin' down. If it snaps from hitting a big pot hole then at least you have some chance of riding it to a stop. Luckily the brakes still work, but the bike won't steer great with no upper headset anymore, broken end of the steerer rubbing on the inside of the head tube and flopping around <shiver>.

George Hincapie crashed when his steerer broke near the top, and he was a very experienced pro at the time. Most amateurs will be toast.

Mark B
That's not beating a dead horse, it's a public service announcement. You've brought up some good points for people - especially Bigfoot's descendants - who may be running an at-risk fork.

Thankfully, I've had the opportunity to put eyeballs on the fork steerer tubes of every bike I own and operate. They all look good, so I've peace of mind in that regard. Overcompensating, yee-hawin' man-boys in lifted trucks, on the other hand, will likely be the death of me if I stay in AZ much longer!

Seriously, I hate those guys.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-03-23, 03:56 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I was a seller then, or a rep for one, and this was the sole French fork we had, Tange with about 1/3 of the steerer threaded. Cheap generic replacements were much worse in this respect, but with French you don't have many choices.

Likes For thumpism:
Old 03-03-23, 04:03 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

I was a seller then, or a rep for one, and this was the sole French fork we had, Tange with about 1/3 of the steerer threaded.
Those are very high quality forks, would be awesome for whatever frame size results in all but about 20 mm of threads cut off!

At the max size, with all those threads intact, well let's just say you don't need to worry about your Death Stem, the steerer will kill you before the stem can.

OK I'm deliberately over-stating the likelihood of it breaking. Not all do, but the stakes are very high when one does.
Old 03-03-23, 06:42 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
As others have pointed out, the split is from the stem being installed with too little insertion. French steerers are thinner than BSC or Italian by 0.1 mm which doesn't sound like much, but it's already a thin, threaded part. Most of the French forks I have seen only have the flat near the top, but they seemed to have gotten carried away at the Gitane factory that day. Still, it would not have been a problem if the stem had been correctly installed. Practically speaking, this is not a highly stressed area under normal use, as the stem provides significant reinforcement. I would not do this for a customer, but if it were mine I would insert a French stem, tap the bulge out with a hammer, put it together with the stem inserted properly, and ride it without any fear. Even in the unlikely event that a crack would propagate around the thread, which I believe is highly unlikely, a failure would not cause the loss of control one would get should the steerer separate below the stem. Replacing a steerer takes a lot of heat, or a mill and some expensive time. It is not a trivial task.
Old 03-03-23, 06:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Those are very high quality forks, would be awesome for whatever frame size results in all but about 20 mm of threads cut off!

At the max size, with all those threads intact, well let's just say you don't need to worry about your Death Stem, the steerer will kill you before the stem can.

OK I'm deliberately over-stating the likelihood of it breaking. Not all do, but the stakes are very high when one does.
A steerer crying for one of my stems, ridden as I used to ride them - slammed with a dent in the throat. Puts the nut so far down the bending force is very low and little torque on the bolt is needed. I raced in the '70s. It wasn't 'till the mid '90s I realized how much I could benefit from stems far longer than stock. Still have a few 130s with the scars from the strangler.
Old 03-04-23, 09:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts

Mark B
Mark, I wish this could be shouted at every aftermarket bike parts importer on this earth.

Those overthreaded "replacement" forks are worthy of being on the top five list for irresponsible parts sold on the bike aftermarket today.

At this point, if I have to replace a fork with a long enough steerer tube, I'll just get the threadless equivalent, slice it to length, and cut the appropriate amount of threads into it.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-04-23, 09:37 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by cudak888
Mark, I wish this could be shouted at every aftermarket bike parts importer on this earth.

Those overthreaded "replacement" forks are worthy of being on the top five list for irresponsible parts sold on the bike aftermarket today.

At this point, if I have to replace a fork with a long enough steerer tube, I'll just get the threadless equivalent, slice it to length, and cut the appropriate amount of threads into it.

-Kurt
Classic! I saved that to my Hall of Shame folder of broken bikes'n'parts, it's a keeper.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-04-23, 09:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Classic! I saved that to my Hall of Shame folder of broken bikes'n'parts, it's a keeper.
I believe I sliced off the damaged bit and abused a tap straight into the chrome to make a shorter, but still usable fork out of it. Wasn't a total loss, just a dose of reality about something that, at the time, I hadn't thought about before it happened. ("That, kids, is the value of experience. And mistakes.")

-Kurt

Old 03-05-23, 04:30 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 610 Posts
This had me concerned as I'm replacing a fork with one very similar to this with about as much threading. Prior to reading this thread it's not something I had given any thought to as the steerer is not slotted and I was under the misguided thinking that positioning the wedge in the slotted portion was the only issue. I'll be trimming some off the OAL but not that much. Then I remembered the threadless stem adapter I was using goes half way down the steerer tube where I have it set so even with the excessive threading the wedge will be well below the threads. It's one of those extra long ones that was on another bike I took in trade and they were using it to raise the handlebars.

Old 03-05-23, 04:54 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
This had me concerned as I'm replacing a fork with one very similar to this with about as much threading. Prior to reading this thread it's not something I had given any thought to as the steerer is not slotted and I was under the misguided thinking that positioning the wedge in the slotted portion was the only issue. I'll be trimming some off the OAL but not that much. Then I remembered the threadless stem adapter I was using goes half way down the steerer tube where I have it set so even with the excessive threading the wedge will be well below the threads. It's one of those extra long ones that was on another bike I took in trade and they were using it to raise the handlebars.
Yes that's a good solution. A bit of extra weight but better than a cracked steerer.
Old 03-05-23, 06:43 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 610 Posts
Yes that's a good solution. A bit of extra weight but better than a cracked steerer.
If weight was a concern then I'd have some skinny guy ride it for me.
Old 03-05-23, 07:39 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

If they're going to cut that much thread, do us all a favor and forgo the keyway/flat for the anti-rotation washer. It's not strictly necessary if you use two wrenches when adjusting the headset, and would eliminate the weak spot where these splits occur.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-05-23, 09:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If they're going to cut that much thread, do us all a favor and forgo the keyway/flat for the anti-rotation washer. It's not strictly necessary if you use two wrenches when adjusting the headset, and would eliminate the weak spot where these splits occur.
Provided the washer is neither keyed or expecting French-style flatted threads, both of which will split anyway.

Not so sure I trust a wedge on threads either.

-Kurt

Old 03-05-23, 10:02 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
What?? Wait!! What is that? I'm agreeing with @panzerwagen that this split is from the stem expander, however, it looks like there are no threads in just that area but are around the rest of the steerer tube. That area also looks to be painted rather than bare metal.

Was this section of the steerer tube indented, which would be why it didn't get threaded and then got painted? Then being indented, cracked when the stem expander was tightened?

Can we get a few more pictures from different angles. This sure is odd.
Maybe the split stuck out, rubbing inside the head tube. So sombody filed down the bulge and sprayed on a bit of paint.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html