Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wife rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 04:11 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I'd go along with the wife's wishes. There's plenty of things to argue about in a marriage. Maybe just wear a looser jersey so you feel a more casual. You've mentioned these types of rides are a challenge for her, insisting on wearing casual clothing is like saying to her "jeez, this is nothing for me." And I get it is not big deal to cruise along at 12 MPH for 10 miles. But it is for her.

It also may help her feel more like your a team or at least signally you're a couple doing this together. In other words, maybe it just makes it more fun for her. And if you have an interest in growing or just maintaining her interest in cycling, the more fun you can make it for her, the better.

My and my wife's cycling is similar. I ride a lot, she not some much on an eBike. Sometime we ride together as part of the start or end of my much longer ride. But when we just do a ride together on a MUP. I still tend to wear my bibs, just becasue I find them more comfortable. But I will wear a loose fitting jersey as I feel sort of stupid in tight kit and road helmet just cruising along. I usually ride my hard tail MTB for those, so I wear the MTB helmet.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 07-27-23, 07:07 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Not to worry. Your look is "biking enthusiast", not " serious cyclist " . No snark intended, just an observation.

To clarify; at my age and level of conditioning, my look is "recreational cyclist" at best. No pic required.

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 07-27-23 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 07-27-23, 08:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
My wife absolutely shreds on ski’s. After much work and effort, I can sort of follow her down now.

When we met, we were both pretty serious climbers, over time the shoulder injuries have added up for me and not her. I can’t even pretend to be on equal footing with her anymore.

Shes an accomplished trail runner, I have a screw in my foot.

But on the bike, she’s overly cautious, and never willing to really try hard. Bikes for her are casual day off activities. I don’t complain. I think it’s healthy to have a few activities that the other person doesn’t do.

Fwiw, she makes fun of me in my road bike getup. I think she’s ok with my MTB look.
Old 07-27-23, 09:12 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Not at all. I see it the same way. But there is no way I'm going to tell her, "Sweetie, you can be a poseur if you like, but I'm going to be authentic. There is no justification for spandex at the intensity we're going to ride today." I try to encourage her and give lots of positive feedback, because that keeps her riding, which is the desired outcome. And frankly, 12 MPH for 10 or 15 miles is a pretty intense ride for her.
Just curious, has your wife ever asked you to do something that seems unreasonable to you? If so, have you ever complied?

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 07-27-23, 11:14 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
If you're going full kit, at some point in the ride you've got to "drope the hamer" and give her "the look."
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 07-27-23, 11:29 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Just curious, has your wife ever asked you to do something that seems unreasonable to you?
No, I don’t think she has.
Old 07-27-23, 11:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
My wife and I had vastly different speeds and climbing abilities on our single bikes which she found very frustrating. She always wanted us to ride together, but also didn’t want to hold me back or have me wait for her on top of a hill. Talk about a dilemma. We ended up buying a tandem, “the great equalizer” and she virtually gave up riding her single. The surprising thing is that when we rode together, she wanted to chase down every rider that had the nerve to pass. After a couple of summers riding together we knocked off a century which she wouldn’t have even dreamt of on her own. The tandem was transformative for our riding,

As for dress, I can sympathize with you. When we rode singles together, at first, I too didn’t want to look like a poser because the speeds were so low. But for me to dress down would have been insulting to her so I wore my usual kit. You are doing the right thing by swallowing your pride and dressing as she would prefer.

We still ride together but her RA won’t allow her to ride the tandem any longer, so she has an e-bike. She can absolutely kill me on steep climbs and I am putting out max watts and still falling behind. Now I know how she felt.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-28-23, 05:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Just make casual comments about how girls pinch your butt and say how nice your kit is. That will get her to back off the matchy-matchy Hallmark attitude.
Old 07-28-23, 06:08 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Image shimmage. The paradox I see here is that your wife isn't a "serious cyclist", yet whether you're riding together or you alone, she wants to have that projected, either by you as a pair or by you alone. Since your married to her, she believes she is entitled to command/demand you to always project the very image that she herself doesn't live up to. She wants you to be something she isn't. Hence the conflict, the impossibility !

This is where marriages/relationships get effed up. Looking at/to someone else to be something you're not. To be "completed" .... cringing as I say those words. A basic misrepresentation of what relationships represents. Relations, relating ... how One relates. There's nothing missing in that, no completions to be done, because there could be no relating at all in the first place if One wasn't already complete.
Old 07-28-23, 08:12 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Image shimmage. The paradox I see here is that your wife isn't a "serious cyclist", yet whether you're riding together or you alone, she wants to have that projected, either by you as a pair or by you alone. Since your married to her, she believes she is entitled to command/demand you to always project the very image that she herself doesn't live up to. She wants you to be something she isn't. Hence the conflict, the impossibility !
+2

It's like if Derek Jeter's wife makes him dress up in his Yankees uniform when he plays catch with the kids in the back yard.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-28-23, 08:42 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Count it as a blessing if your spouse will do any activity with you that you enjoy. And kudos to anyone that will give up pace or speed to do an activity you enjoy with a slower partner.

Old 07-28-23, 09:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
“Remember darling, don’t be a snook. It’s not how you feel but how you look. And you look marvelous!” Billy Crystal SNL

Old 07-28-23, 10:33 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by rsbob
“remember darling, don’t be a snook. It’s not how you feel but how you look. And you look marvelous yoo loook mahhvelous!”
fify.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-28-23, 10:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Opinions, suggestions, criticism... I'm open to all of it. I just brought it up because I thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

It does, in part because the request seems like the opposite of what many spouses would ask for. Mrs. GeneJockey, for example, says she doesn't mind my wearing cycling kit while I'm riding because nobody would recognize me. This is said in jest - I think....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 07-28-23 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-28-23, 11:02 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
My Wife willing to get on a bike and go for a ride?

Hell... I would wear anything she wanted. Including lip stick and a tutu...

Of course that would be an Austin ride... Ha
Old 07-28-23, 11:53 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I think the cyclist look is pretty ridiculous.

I try not to be an unpaid marketer.

Those who matter don’t mind, those who mind don’t matter.

I think maybe you messed up in getting your wife to think about performance. If you guys confined your cycling done together to casual cycling to your favorite nature preserve or coffee shop or whatever you’d probably have a more enjoyable cycling relationship.

The only physical competition my wife beats me at is miniature golf. So guess what? If we play a sport on a date it’s always miniature golf.
Old 07-28-23, 12:34 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Anyone else have to dress the part for the sake of your riding partner's intended image?
No. The Admiral and I have little in common when it comes to sports and physical activities, but if we did, I'm wearing what I want to wear, and if she says "so folks know we are serious cyclists" I'd just throw a "we?" in there. Our favorite equivalent right now is" This is how I know you cheat at Wordle", but we've been married since '97, and together for about another decade, so don't try this at home...
Old 07-28-23, 01:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
I am envious of you guys. By riding my wife's bike (Electra Loft 7D) on two rides (once to get it home from REI, and once with my son after having taken apart my own hybrid bike), I have already ridden it further than she has.
Old 07-28-23, 01:38 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Anyone else have to dress the part for the sake of your riding partner's intended image?
When a wife suggests that her husband should wear nicer clothes for a particular event or activity, the underlying message (often) is that he is dressed like a slob.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-28-23, 02:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Anyone who bases their decisions on what they assume other people think of them is wasting their time and energy.
Old 07-28-23, 02:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Anyone who bases their decisions on what they assume other people think of them is wasting their time and energy.
In my experience, telling my wife that her opinions are a waste of time and energy probably isn't going to go very well for me.
Old 07-28-23, 03:02 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
When a wife suggests that her husband should wear nicer clothes for a particular event or activity, the underlying message (often) is that he is dressed like a slob.
Also, if she asks, "You're wearing that?" this is always a rhetorical question, i.e., "Yes" is not an acceptable answer. The question is actually code for "You're not wearing that. Go back upstairs and change."
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-28-23, 03:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I don’t have this issue. My wife prefers to walk rather than bike. So the most common thing for us is an early morning walk with us and the dogs, if she and I both have time. If we don’t both have time, one of us will try to take them out if the weather allows it.

For the last year, I’ve actually skewed my exercise mix more toward walking and running, so that I have more exercise time with her and with the dogs and it’s been a real plus. Obviously less cycling-specific training but I’m not interested in training for an event, so that isn’t an issue for me. In fact, I prefer a broader mix during the week.

Otto
Old 07-28-23, 04:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Also, if she asks, "You're wearing that?" this is always a rhetorical question, i.e., "Yes" is not an acceptable answer. The question is actually code for "You're not wearing that. Go back upstairs and change."
Old 07-28-23, 04:50 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
In my experience, telling my wife that her opinions are a waste of time and energy probably isn't going to go very well for me.
To be clear.....my comment was not meant to be a criticism, just a statement of fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.