Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Those oversized 'super cool, stylish' cycling sunglasses. dont get it

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Those oversized 'super cool, stylish' cycling sunglasses. dont get it

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-23, 07:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

It's nothing new!!
Tru dat!

Likes For seypat:
Old 08-10-23, 08:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
We need some specific examples to see what you are considering to be oversized. I use larger sunglasses for road so that the top edge doesn't block my view when I'm down on the drops. My mtb glasses are smaller and the top rim gets in the way for road use. So it's all about your position on the bike and fashion trends.
Why not just wear your road sunglasses when you MTB ride too? 2 birds 1 stone then, right? <--not critical, I assume there is a preference and just cant think of it.

I appreciate you not calling them 'sunnies' like so much of the brit cycle press does.
Old 08-10-23, 08:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
Just curious, what is it about those oversized 'stylish' cycling sunglasses a lot of people wear? mostly roadie folks. i dont get it. to me, they look ridiculous and trying to be WAY too cool. am i the only one in thinking this?
I am sure many are wearing that style because it is 'pro' and its an easy way to blend in among the group they want to be part of. Ok then, cool. That isnt motivation for me, but I can see that it would be motivation for others.
A lot of others wear them because they have less visual obstruction.

I am basing my comments above on the fact that there are so many knock-offs worn on some fast group rides Ive been on in the last couple years. Wearing $12 Aliexpress knock-offs seems to be motivation due to appearance versus substance.
Old 08-10-23, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Am I the only one who remembers this guy and his glasses?

Old 08-10-23, 09:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why not just wear your road sunglasses when you MTB ride too? 2 birds 1 stone then, right? <--not critical, I assume there is a preference and just cant think of it.

I appreciate you not calling them 'sunnies' like so much of the brit cycle press does.
It was simply because I bought the mtb glasses first. When I later tried using them for road riding I found that the top rim was too low so I then bought some road glasses. Had I bought the road glasses first I would have used them for mtb too. We live and learn!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-10-23, 09:32 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
This style:

The above model shaved his eyebrows but does not want eaglesandcycling to know, so wears a pair of Oakley Sutros.

Seriously, oversize and/or frameless sunglasses are functional because they provide unimpeded visual field. I wear these: Elicit – POC Sports

On the top right photo, see how the top edge of the lens are not beveled?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-10-23, 09:39 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I originally thought the oversized shades looked stupid, but changed my mind when a few of my hawt cycling lady friends looked great in 'em.
These would not improve my looks, tho.
Old 08-10-23, 09:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

It's nothing new!!
I don't understand the appeal of these types of glasses either. As it is, I get large coverage with frameless sunglasses (Smith Reverbs), and at the top there's maybe .5cm of clearance between helmet and tops of glasses. This photo shows wide variety of fit -- middle guy with still a lot of clearance above glasses, rightmost guy looks like his helmet hits his glasses. I've seen others wearing these types of glasses but also strap their helmets on tilted back so it works.

So what's the point of there being an actual frame with these types of sunglasses, if you just need wind blocking, but want to also see out the tops of the lenses when in a tucked position?
Old 08-10-23, 09:59 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I’d like a pair for extra eye protection but afraid I’d wreck from the sweat blinding me. I have enough troubles with my prescription glasses with less coverage.
Old 08-10-23, 10:11 AM
seypat

I'm guessing people wear them because they don't want to look like the opposite of a pro. Who wants to look like they just got out of prison?
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Why do you care what other people wear? Why do you assume it has anything to do with fashion? Are you really that insecure?
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
The master:

Anybody know where I can get those?
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 08-10-23, 10:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,300 Times in 2,948 Posts
Those 'super cool, stylish' threads about what other people choose to wear. dont get it
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-10-23, 10:16 AM
seypat

Hopefully, this is not the next fashion trend in the pipeline. Might be super aero, though.

https://www.amazon.com/EdiNoeL-Overs...85415431&psc=1
Old 08-10-23, 10:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Styles change. Did anyone notice the number of gum walls in this years Tour?

I was gifted a pair of Oakley Radar EV Path. I like them because they ride on my brows and divert sweat, support uniform peripheral view with straight view, and provide good coverage.

Outside of cycling, I prefer glass lensed Serengeti Aviators because my whole face relaxes when I put them on. The graduated shading is great for driving sunny days while supporting easy view of the dash.
Old 08-10-23, 10:41 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Seriously (even for this thread) I wear wrap around (not oversized) for the function of reducing wind on my contacts and keeping bugs out. maybe the oversized work better for that or have some aero advantage

this is what i am talking about when i say wrap around

Old 08-10-23, 10:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Seriously (even for this thread) I wear wrap around (not oversized) for the function of reducing wind on my contacts and keeping bugs out. maybe the oversized work better for that or have some aero advantage

this is what i am talking about when i say wrap around

Those are fine until you tuck down and have to look "up" to see straight ahead - that's the main aero advantage of the oversized glasses.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-10-23, 10:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Just curious, what is it about those oversized 'stylish' cycling sunglasses a lot of people wear? mostly roadie folks. i dont get it. to me, they look ridiculous and trying to be WAY too cool. am i the only one in thinking this?
Why do you care what other people choose to wear? How does it affect you? How do you know what they are trying to do? Why are your preferences more important than anyone else's?
Old 08-10-23, 11:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
First it was their saddles are too high, they do it to look cool. Now triggered by sunglasses.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...s-so-high.html
Wow, that thread had a little for everyone to enjoy!
Old 08-10-23, 11:08 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
This guy didn't need no stinking glasses.

Old 08-10-23, 11:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts

Likes For himespau:
Old 08-10-23, 11:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't understand the appeal of these types of glasses either. As it is, I get large coverage with frameless sunglasses (Smith Reverbs), and at the top there's maybe .5cm of clearance between helmet and tops of glasses. This photo shows wide variety of fit -- middle guy with still a lot of clearance above glasses, rightmost guy looks like his helmet hits his glasses. I've seen others wearing these types of glasses but also strap their helmets on tilted back so it works.

So what's the point of there being an actual frame with these types of sunglasses, if you just need wind blocking, but want to also see out the tops of the lenses when in a tucked position?
The middle guy is a youtuber with a pretty decent following... my guess, sponsorship is the reason. He is tucked in an aero position bombing down mountians all the time, probably some function to the glasses as well.

His video was the first place I saw the huge glasses, and he wears some big ones.
Old 08-10-23, 11:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Those are fine until you tuck down and have to look "up" to see straight ahead - that's the main aero advantage of the oversized glasses.
Depends where they sit on your nose. Mine sit high enough that they offer unimpeded vision down the road. Also because they're wraparound, the sun never peaks in around the edges, and I don't see the frames at all in my field of vision.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-10-23, 11:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Depends where they sit on your nose. Mine sit high enough that they offer unimpeded vision down the road. Also because they're wraparound, the sun never peaks in around the edges, and I don't see the frames at all in my field of vision.
Faces are obviously different, and one person's 'tuck' is another's chest parachute. On me, if those were high up enough to not impede forward vision at full tuck, they wouldn't have nearly enough lower coverage and wind would be swirling up and under like mad.
Old 08-10-23, 11:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Faces are obviously different, and one person's 'tuck' is another's chest parachute. On me, if those were high up enough to not impede forward vision at full tuck, they wouldn't have nearly enough lower coverage and wind would be swirling up and under like mad.
Yep, faces is different. With mine, the bottoms almost seal against my face while the tops are even with my eyebrows.

I'm looking for my next set of sunglasses, because my current Tifosis are about 5 years old - Performance bikes still had bricks-and-mortar stores then. I can't decide whether to go for the big ones or try and find another pair that fit like the current ones. IIRC that was a matter of trying on multiple pairs.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.