Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Not my usual ride

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Not my usual ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 08:34 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 3,764 Times in 1,843 Posts
Not my usual ride

I am not near my normal fleet of bikes, still have the urge to get out and ride. Have this bike, which is not my usual ride:
2012 SE PK Ripper Crooks & Castles colab

I have done close to 200 miles on this, 5-10 miles at a time. mostly in town riding, with some skate park trails thrown in for good measure. Surprisingly comfortable and I appreciate the (ridiculous looking) saddle swap someone did, it originally had the hard plastic one that was the stock model. Surprised to find single speed seems to work out on the local terrain, tackles the small hills and offroad just fine. Enjoying riding some different terrain.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 04-11-23, 10:48 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
When I was a kid I loved the original PK Ripper. It seemed so exotic compared to my steel Mongoose.
Kinda surprised that has caliper brakes instead of cantilevers or v-brakes.
Old 04-11-23, 11:11 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Nothing holds their value better than a PK Ripper.
Old 04-11-23, 11:14 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
When I was a kid I loved the original PK Ripper. It seemed so exotic compared to my steel Mongoose.
It is an overgrown BMX bikes in many ways. The brake caliper is just one of those way. Not that there's anything wrong with overgrown BMX bikes. I wouldn't mind giving one a whirl.
Old 04-11-23, 01:36 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Originally Posted by RustyJames
There was 1 kid in my town with a PK ripper when I was a kid. I had a comically heavy Ross and was super jealous. There were maybe 2 GT Pro Perfomers and one Quad Angle, all were well outside accessible for my parents wallet. I finally got a second hand Schwinn Predator from a buddy (for next to nothing) because his parents bought him another new bike, the new Haro freestyle, I believe.
Old 04-11-23, 01:42 PM
SoCaled 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
It is an overgrown BMX bikes in many ways. The brake caliper is just one of those way. Not that there's anything wrong with overgrown BMX bikes. I wouldn't mind giving one a whirl.

When these started to get popular, I thought "that might be fun to cruise around on" but the sticker shock was a bit much for what it offered, especially during the pandemic when they were selling for 30 or 40% Over retail. I had a friend buy this for me (off craigslist at a steal) from 3,000 miles away 2 years ago, it is just now I finally came here and got to ride it. It would be sweet to have in SoCal but I am not going to pay for shipping, so it will live in Upstate NY. Do wish I also had a road/touring bike here, plenty in CA.
Old 04-11-23, 06:25 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Sweet! Here’s my C&V version. The 1940s Bendix coaster brake is nearly pristine inside. Just some shoe wear. It is a blast to ride and was fun to build.

Post war Schwinn Ace (Landing Gear appropriate)