Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sora or Claris, Beginner Road Build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-23, 11:04 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

Hey all. Accepting all opinions: I'm building out a "first" road bike for my 16 year old son. He likes biking and has a basic entry road bike with the old lever gears. But he isn't gung-ho about it. His interest is growing, though. I obtained a like-new Fuji aluminum frame with carbon fork for $110. I'm blown away by how nice it's made and how light it is. I now have to fit a groupset to it. I had been planning on a Sora groupo. We live in a desert with no hills. Essentially all flat. I run a 105 on my bike and find that I never use more than 4 gears. But the 105 is super smooth and the brakes are great (rim.) I can get the Sora for about $430 new and complete. But I just found a new Claris set for all-in at $275. I don;'t want to be cheap and can afford the Sora, but I like to watch my pennies. With this info, will the Claris be fine for his uses; allow him to do all the things he may want to do? He's not going to race. I just want a solid ride for him to get into. Or should I just jump for the Sora right now? I have it on one of my bikes and it's a nice set-up. One thing I found are opinions that the Claris rim brakes are actually a bit better than the Sora brakes. So that's a plus in the "safety" department (if accurate.) Thanks for your input everyone!
Old 10-20-23, 02:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
My oldest, now 19, has had a Claris rim brake road bike for 4 years now. In the first 3 years she rode it over 5000mi, did 7 or 8 centuries thru those years, and trained for an Ironman with it. The drivetrain is perfectly fine, its dead simple to set up and maintain. The only downside is its heavier and uses some steel where higher levels use aluminum or composite. Basically, there is some spot rusting on bolts or a couple sections of the derailleurs. It doesnt impact reliability or performance at all.

We have a bike with Sora- its fine. Same things- dead easy to maintain and is heavier than more expensive groups.
We also have a road bike with older 105 9 speed and one with older Tiagra 9 speed- the Sora bike shifts just as fine and has lasted years without issue.

I would use any of the groups for a kid that isnt racing and not think twice. Whichever you buy, just get some quality cables and housing plus quality brake pads. Those things can be felt.
Old 10-20-23, 04:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Personally, I would go with whichever is cheapest since there's a good chance he will want to upgrade if he really gets into it, and probably won't care if he doesn't really get into it.
Old 10-20-23, 05:03 PM
ArgoMan

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm reminded of something I read online. The poster said something like, "today's cheap groupsets are better than the sets that the pros were using in the Tour de France 20 years ago." In that regard, I saw a really decent looking used Ultegra set on sale at Ebay for less than $200. But it's over 20 years old! Looks good though. So, I'm thinking the Claris is the way to go, especially since he probably won't be using more than a few gears on our totally flat roads. The only challenge I didn't consider is that I got him nice used Dura Ace rims. A bit older, but in great shape. The rear has a 10 speed hub. New Claris has an 8 speed cassette. I'm assuming it will work. Any advice in that regard will be appreciated.
Old 10-20-23, 09:41 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
If you look hard enough I am positive you could find 105 rim brake for less than 500.00. Hell I bought one last year new for 650.00 and that was before 105 Di2 was released.
Old 10-20-23, 09:51 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Old 10-21-23, 01:46 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Thanks guys. I'm reminded of something I read online. The poster said something like, "today's cheap groupsets are better than the sets that the pros were using in the Tour de France 20 years ago." In that regard, I saw a really decent looking used Ultegra set on sale at Ebay for less than $200. But it's over 20 years old! Looks good though. So, I'm thinking the Claris is the way to go, especially since he probably won't be using more than a few gears on our totally flat roads. The only challenge I didn't consider is that I got him nice used Dura Ace rims. A bit older, but in great shape. The rear has a 10 speed hub. New Claris has an 8 speed cassette. I'm assuming it will work. Any advice in that regard will be appreciated.
Aside from the bargain 105 group above, yeah 8,9 and 10speed freehubs are all the same length.
Old 10-21-23, 05:52 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
The only challenge I didn't consider is that I got him nice used Dura Ace rims. A bit older, but in great shape. The rear has a 10 speed hub. New Claris has an 8 speed cassette. I'm assuming it will work. Any advice in that regard will be appreciated.
A few years ago, some Dura Ace wheels had alloy freehubs with deeper splines. If your wheels are those, 8 and 9 speed cassettes won't fit
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-21-23, 08:35 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I’d argue to actually throw in the extra bit for 105, rather than the other direction. $450 for Sora seems high, and as bampilot points out, 105 can be had for under $500. The benefits:
- if he’s into it, he’ll have no reason aside from vanity to upgrade
- You’ll have a bike with parts that are completely cross-compatible. Need a wheel or any drivetrain component? Borrow it from the other bike, no worries about 8, 9, 11 speeds and chains

I think one of the upsides of Claris over anything higher up the chain is that fewer cables are hidden, which makes maintenance just a little easier.
Old 10-21-23, 09:02 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I’d argue to actually throw in the extra bit for 105, rather than the other direction. $450 for Sora seems high, and as bampilot points out, 105 can be had for under $500. The benefits:
- if he’s into it, he’ll have no reason aside from vanity to upgrade
- You’ll have a bike with parts that are completely cross-compatible. Need a wheel or any drivetrain component? Borrow it from the other bike, no worries about 8, 9, 11 speeds and chains

I think one of the upsides of Claris over anything higher up the chain is that fewer cables are hidden, which makes maintenance just a little easier.
Another benefit - resale value will be higher.
Old 10-21-23, 09:34 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you have to get the STIs separately, then get Microshift STIs. You won't have to whack the brake lever to shift ever again.
Old 10-21-23, 03:41 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
The Duraace freehub/wheelset with the unusual splines were in the 78?? series. The body has taller splines and was only compatible with some 10 speed cassettes. Easy to ID, it had a 'step' in the spline as below:

Other DA Hyperglide splined cassettes should all be 8/9 speed compatible.

The R2000 & R3000 series of components are very similar in many ways, many of the parts are the same. No way to really know if the build/material quality is different.

For the shifters, they both have under the bartape cable routing for both brake & shift housing.

You mentioned brake differences, they are identical.
Old 10-21-23, 04:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Of course he/you will do fine with whatever you choose. I was recently in LA and rented a bike with 8 speed Claris drivetrain. It was a pleasant surprise to ride, the shifting and responsiveness was quite good.
Old 10-22-23, 10:18 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Seems like you could get a 105 grouspet for the price you want to pay. That's what I would do. Long term wise, it's better. Groupset of the people for the win.
Old 10-22-23, 11:09 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Seems like you could get a 105 grouspet for the price you want to pay. That's what I would do. Long term wise, it's better. Groupset of the people for the win.
And there's the rub. Going up from 105 to Ultegra means nearly double the outlay (by part, I haven't priced group sets); and the same is true from Ultegra to DuraAce.

Going down from 105 to Tiagra, down to Sora and Claris... you don't get that big of a gap. Truth be told, Claris and Sora are really designed for manufacturers to realize savings at-scale. They're not bad components, by any means - but by the time an individual tries to buy a groupset from an LBS or even an online store, the costs of warehousing, labor just to pack the pieces, shipping, not to mention an reasonable profit margin - will quickly eat into the savings, as those costs are going to be pretty much the same, regardless of the groupset level.
Old 10-22-23, 12:44 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Both are reliable, but I think Sora shifts noticeably nicer. I'd go with Sora.
Likes For BikingViking793:
Old 10-22-23, 12:47 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
For the OP the issue with using 105 that is 11 speed is that the cassette that is included would probably be the standard 11 speed version, and would need a 11 speed compatible freehub/wheelset. He says that he has wheels already that are 10 speed.

So, a compatible cassette would need to be added, or a freehub body swapped. Duraace freehubs/wheelset are usually not easy/cheap to do a freehub body swap on, if even possible.
Old 10-23-23, 11:11 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
I think so too. I had one of each for awhile and buying the Sora bike made me feel like I'd found the best bike in the world. But the Claris bike was certainly a decent bike and I put a ton of miles on it with no issues.
Old 10-23-23, 08:20 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Too much focus on groupset is a newbie tell. Treeing up the wrong bark.
Old 10-23-23, 10:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
The last bike I had for a kid with claris I could never get it to stay shifting well for any length of time, really have no good feelings towards the set. When I checked yesterday ribble.com had 7000 series 11 speed really cheap for the shifters, front der and brakes, sub in the non-series 510 crankset. Get an 11-34 11sp mtb cassette to fit your 10sp wheels and you'll have to find a rear der but the shifters, crank, brakes and der were only a little over 200.
Old 10-24-23, 05:44 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
True. I've never understood the need for a complete matching groupset. Some things have to match, but not all. I'd check the Bay/CL/local FB market place first and see what I could get there. A lot of people are unloading slightly used components/groups there because of upgradeitis.
Old 10-24-23, 06:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
It does. Sora is an upgrade from Claris in the entry level range.

Originally Posted by seypat
True. I've never understood the need for a complete matching groupset. Some things have to match, but not all. I'd check the Bay/CL/local FB market place first and see what I could get there. A lot of people are unloading slightly used components/groups there because of upgradeitis.
Call me OCD if you want, but I would never own a bike that's not fully built with the same groupset components just like I wouldn't use 2 different tires. I'm not saying it's better, I'm just saying I prefer having matching components.
Old 10-24-23, 08:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
The OP needs a shifting setup for a frame and asked if there is a noticeable difference that makes the higher price worthwhile.
Thats hardly too much focus or a newbie tell. It's just someone who doesn't have experience with entry level stuff asking how different tow options are.
Old 10-25-23, 02:25 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
With respect to the statement "modern entry level > vintage top level", it makes some intuitive sense but all my bikes are still on SRAM 10 speed and I've never felt compelled to replace them with modern Claris or Sora. I've always built my frames up with lightly used parts because that's what I can afford, but I do get that there's a certain sense of satisfaction building a frame up with all new components. Before I converted to SRAM 10 speed I've ridden Shimano Tiagra and Ultegra. The only time I rode a Sora was on a rental about 14 years ago and it was just fine.