Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying Bianchi(?)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 06:49 AM
kani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Hi, I have this frame with Bianchi decals that I am struggling to identify. I have looked through all Bianchi catalogs from the 80s and 90s that I could find, but I have not yet found an exact match. The only models I have found that have internal brake cable routing that both enters and exists at the top of the top tube are high end models with Bianchi engravings, but this frame has none. When I got it it had a groupset consisting of Shimano RX100 and Exage. Stem was 3TTT Record and handlebar was 3TTT Competition. Seatpost was Selcof. Could very well be something else than a Bianchi. I don’t mind, I just want to know what it is😅 Any help would be appreciated🙏

Old 03-24-24, 08:33 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

dropout adjusters indicate a respray

would expect a Bianchi of this era to exhibit a Bianchi symbol somewhere such as fork crown

head transfer an odd one, wonder if a made up design

one clue might be pattern of relieving the shell

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-24-24, 09:02 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
juvela I agree.

I'm leaning towards not being a BIanchi, but lets investigate a bit more. Can you actually read anything on the dropouts? Bottom bracket threading? What country are you and the bike in, and are you looking at the correct catalogs?

IN the US market internal cable routing didn't show up until the early '90s, and mostly on higher models as you mention, but most of those had vertical dropouts, unicrown forks, and chrome.

Welcome to the "looks like anice frame, but I have no idea" club!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-24-24, 09:55 AM
juvela

-----

wondering if it could be a Technotrat product...

...wylde speculation...

-----
Old 03-24-24, 10:05 AM
kani

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
juvela I agree.

Can you actually read anything on the dropouts? Bottom bracket threading? What country are you and the bike in, and are you looking at the correct catalogs?
There is no text on the dropouts whatsoever. Haven’t looked closely at the bottom bracket threading yet (I placed the bike a bit inconveniently behind some other bikes🙈 but I’ll have a look next time I have the bike available). I bought the bike from Italy (admittedly because I needed the stem and handlebar for another project&#128517. I’m not sure what market the catalogs I have been looking at are, though (or which markets exist for that matter&#128517.

I also kind of struggle to understand why anyone would make a fake non-celeste Bianchi. I initially assumed someone happened to have a blue frame with no decals on it and then applied Bianchi-decals to make it easier to sell, but when I feel the decals with my hand I cannot feel the edge of any decals, so if it’s fake someone must at least have made the effort to clear coat it, and made a good enough effort to not get any paint run or orange peel🤔
Likes For kani:
Old 03-24-24, 10:13 AM
juvela

-----

our @MauriceMoss may be able to shed some of his considerable illumination here...

please add images of shell when convenient; that should be of help to the frame experts...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-24-24 at 10:21 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-24-24, 11:18 AM
kani

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

wondering if it could be a Technotrat product...

...wylde speculation...

-----
While there aren’t a lot of images of Tecnotrat frames on the internet, what I can find looks promising. Most of the examples that I can find seem to tick all the boxes except for the cable routing. However, I found a catalog image on Pinterest of some Tecnotrat frames which appear to have internal cable routing. The red one in particular could potentially tick all the boxes:
Old 03-24-24, 11:21 AM
juvela

-----

most of the examples which have come up here on the forum have been otherwise badged; renders searching more difficult...

recall there were some badged as Detto Pietro

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-24-24 at 11:34 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-24-24, 11:28 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Weird. Lug cutouts definitely not Bianchi-styled. Usually a B and Bianchi on the stay caps. Also cable routing through the top. Very nice frame, but not seemingly a Bianchi I’d think?

I am certainly not expert by any stretch...unless a foreign build for a different market?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super