Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

German cottered bottom bracket overhaul

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 05:23 PM
SandwichBear

Bikes: 1991 Bridgestone CB-1, 1970 Phillips 3spd, 1994 Giant Nutra, KHS Professional, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to this type of bottom bracket. I got the cotter pins out, but got stuck trying to figure out how to remove these cups. They don't just thread out, so I'm at a loss. There is play in the spindle, and I thought it would be nice to actually overhaul the BB since I already bothered to remove the cranks.

Ideas?

Old 02-08-11, 08:15 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Does speculation count?

Haven`t seen this particular model before but the design has some similarities with others.

The inner bearing cups are pressed into the bb and the outer cups sit on the axle. The drive side obviously threads on and normally the non-drive side is used for servicing.

Looks like you`ve already removed a spacer and locknut from the non-drive side and the outside race on that side looks like it just slides on a keyway. I suspect you`re already there. Try tapping the axle on the non-drive side - I expect it`ll exit the drive side with the drive side bearing cup attaached and the non-drive side cup will just slide back on that keyway.

Don`t force it - I may be being overly optimistic!

Last edited by Burton; 02-08-11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 08:45 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
burton is right. tap the nds with a rubber mallet and the ds cone should push the center section of the ds out.
Old 02-08-11, 10:40 PM
SandwichBear

Bikes: 1991 Bridgestone CB-1, 1970 Phillips 3spd, 1994 Giant Nutra, KHS Professional, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Shopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - that makes perfect sense. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.
Old 02-09-11, 08:25 AM
larry_llama

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks like a thompson BB. I have a service document for these I think. I will check later today.
Old 02-10-11, 01:43 PM
SandwichBear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smacked the spindle pretty hard with a mallet from the non-drive side. No luck. Hit it harder? Wouldn't mind seeing that service document... that would be great.
Old 02-10-11, 02:25 PM
larry_llama

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i thought what i had was more in depth but hopefully this helps

also hopefully your bearing surfaces are ok because finding a replacement spindle is going to be .... difficult
Attached Images
File Type: gif
thompson crank.gif (67.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-10-11, 07:21 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
LOL The truth is out there!

Originally Posted by SandwichBear
Smacked the spindle pretty hard with a mallet from the non-drive side. No luck. Hit it harder? Wouldn't mind seeing that service document... that would be great.
That non-drive side has to be the key. That axle is threaded but the bearing cup on that side has a keyway to prevent it from turning so its not threaded on.

There are indentations that indicate a profiled tool was used to aid the assembly but they`re so shallow that obviously no large amount of force was used.

Can you rotate the non-drive bearing cup and see it move and strike both sides of the keyway or is it an exact fit? Is there sufficient movement in the axle that you suspect the bearing cage has collapsed?

Keep us posted please! At this point I`m curious. Besides - happy endings are nice!