Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Odd vintage cross idea!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Odd vintage cross idea!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Odd vintage cross idea!

So I am considering turning an old steel Peugot MTB frame into a cross bike with some drop bars I have lying around. However here is where it gets odd I want to do it as a 1X5 friction shift using either Shimano Crane or Titilist and Gevenalle - Cyclocross Audax shifters. Does anyone see any major problems with this functionally?

It won't be for any racing or competition just for fun. There is a customer at the shop I work at who has an old bike running Titilist and I just want something running that vintage of parts. I looked on the electronicBay and found I can get the derailuers and shifters pretty cheap so and the frame is free so I figure now is the time!
Old 01-02-15, 09:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
The Crane and Titlist derailleurs are almost identical; the Titlist has a steel pulley cage where the Crane is aluminum, so a slight weight penalty but perhaps more appropriate for cyclocross. I'm not familiar with the Audax shifters, but they appear to be friction levers, which should work fine with either the Crane or Titlist derailleur.
Old 01-03-15, 05:51 AM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Genevalle levers look like the Retroshifters from a few years ago. Indexed with a friction option, so would work fine.