Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Battery Blankets or Insulated Battery Covers?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 01:34 PM
GWG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Its winter again and I still have not found an INSULATED BATTERY COVER. Here is Stanley Idaho it gets cold....Right down into the Temps that e-bike Batteries DON'T Like.. Does anyone know what would be the best cover to insulate my e-Bike Battery on my M2S All Terrain Ultra HT???
Old 12-28-21, 05:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
https://www.fahrer-berlin.de/e-bike/akkuschutz
Old 12-28-21, 06:28 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Amazon has a number of them, but looks like you could fabricate a cover with Neoprene fairly easily. FME, keep your battery inside before your ride.
Old 12-29-21, 11:39 AM
GWG

I always keep the Battery inside in a cool dry environment before riding. I think I'll try to find some Neoprene and Velcro to make my own cover. Do a lot of fairly short trip riding in the 0-32 degree F days.....I don't ride below zero F as the windy air at riding speed is just too cold....

GARY
Stanley, IDAHO
Likes For GWG:
Old 12-29-21, 12:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
if your doing short trips don't worry about it. I see a little less range on my bosch powered bike but its not huge. the spare battery on our tandem will take more of a hit.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 12-30-21, 03:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Problem with lithium batteries is not being able to charge at temps below freezing. Real advantage to having bikes with battery packs that are easily taken indoors for charging and for storage.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 12-31-21, 04:39 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
Some excellent ebike tips for winter storage & riding:
https://electrek.co/2021/12/31/ridin...experts-first/
Old 01-06-22, 09:53 AM
ever1ast15

Bikes: Brompton M6R ( Greay/Green), Trek 520 Disc, Gazelle Ultimate C380+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Question Battery Blankets or Insulated Battery Covers?

Hi all. I stumbled onto this thread and after reading it, I have a question. I just purchased an Ebike (being delivered today) and live in NJ where it gets pretty cold during winter months. I understand not charging in cold weather but rather room temperature, but should I be concerned about riding in cold weather? I assumed that the battery would do just fine. My commute will be 9 miles each way and the battery is a frame integrated battery on a Gazelle. Is there anything I should be mindful of? Do I need some sort of cover to cover frame the battery is sitting in?

Thanks in advance!

J
Old 01-06-22, 09:56 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ever1ast15
Hi all. I stumbled onto this thread and after reading it, I have a question. I just purchased an Ebike (being delivered today) and live in NJ where it gets pretty cold during winter months. I understand not charging in cold weather but rather room temperature, but should I be concerned about riding in cold weather? I assumed that the battery would do just fine. My commute will be 9 miles each way and the battery is a frame integrated battery on a Gazelle. Is there anything I should be mindful of? Do I need some sort of cover to cover frame the battery is sitting in?

Thanks in advance!

J
Nope. the only concern is slightly lowered range. 9 miles on a new battery should not be a cause to worry.
Old 01-06-22, 10:01 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
Operating in sub freezing temp is not a problem.
The cold affects battery life when it is stored at below freezing for extended amount of time (multiple days).
Store your battery at room temp (above 50 degree F) when not in use and you should be fine.
If the ebike has frame integrated battery, probably better to store the whole ebike indoors when not in use.
Old 01-06-22, 10:54 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by ever1ast15
J
The question I have on this thread is - is this question for riding, storage, or charging?

For riding, don't worry about it. if it starts off at room temperature, it will generate its own heat. I've seen cars lose 30% of their range typically, but I'm not going that far in the winter on a single charge on my bike.

For storage/charging - definitely keep it inside at a decent temperature. I've ruined some nice batteries because I let them get too cold in the winter. Expensive mistake
Likes For chas58:
Old 01-07-22, 10:20 AM
GWG

I agree with Chas58,
As long as you take proper care of the Battery and don't plan a really long trip you should be fine. I ride just a few miles each trip in Cold or below 32 degrees F and the battery seems fine. So I will forgo the Battery Blanket.

Gary
Stanley, Idaho.... where is it truly cold in winter.
Likes For GWG:
Old 01-07-22, 03:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Agree with both GWG and C58. I rode my bike on an icy day in December, 2019 and didn't worry about the battery on a 3,000', 8 mile ascent that was probably a three hour ride since we stopped to throw snowballs etc. One guy rode his bike up and was carrying cross country skis to do a little skiing at the top. Only have the luxury of snow and low temps occasionally here (none this year so far).
Old 01-09-22, 09:56 AM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
I ride my fat bike in winter at temps down to minus 20 celcius and the 17.5 AH rack battery does just fine. Some rides are done later in the day where we stop at a ski cabin to warm up. On those days the bike is parked outside for about 3 hours. Our usual singletrack is roughly 8 km's one way and I,ve never had a problem. I have in the past wrapped the top and sides with a piece of closed cell foam and slipped a chemical hand warmer under the cover.