Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bought a used bike and arghhhh!!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 12:06 PM
dbrown71467

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I bought a used bike, and am new to mountain biking. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm not sure I will enjoy frequently. Anyhow, the shifting is totally screwed up. It's a Ghost Crow and is a 21 speed. I have 3x7 shifters. The low shifter will only shift through 5 gears and then it's too had to push the trigger. The high shifter can only shift one gear. The derailleur's both front and rear are unmarked so I am unsure of the brands. The derailleur hanger seems to be fine. I'm thinking the only way to get the bike up and going properly is to replace the shifters and front and rear derailleur. My question is this, can I buy the shifters SHIMANO TOURNEY TY - EZ FIRE, the rear Derailleur SHIMANO TOURNEY RD-TY200-GS and the SHIMANO TOURNEY FD-TY710-TS6 and have everything work? The previous parts are all part of the same series line-up and are suppose to work with 3x7 gearing. Will the existing hanger work with the new rear derailleur? The rear derailleur says (Combination of front triple with rear 14-28T only) how do I figure this out? Sorry for the drawn out question, but like I said, I am new to this but would like to do it myself instead of going to bike shops.
Old 01-17-22, 12:28 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 64 Posts
If you have mechanical aptitude you can adjust the high and low limit screws. This will tell you a lot for the next step.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...s6e_CmhqhrnMYh
Old 01-17-22, 12:44 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Never heard of Ghost Crow before but quick internet search tells me that even their entry level model should be able to be set up to work without major issues. Take it to a reputable local bike shop and have it checked over and properly adjusted. I wouldn’t even think about replacing components unless the LBS isn’t able to setup things right!
Likes For sovende:
Old 01-17-22, 12:49 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Ditto the Park Tool videos. They're good. Be methodical and don't skip any steps.

Old shifters often get gummed up too. You can check by them freeing the cables from the derailleurs and counting clicks--two for front, six for the rear. If they don't click cleanly and repeatedly on up and down shifts, flush them out with WD-40. Use a dish or rag to catch the dirty oil. It may take some soaking.

When the cables are loose, check the condition of the cables and each section of housing. Slide the housings and look for corrosion or damage. Replace or clean with steel wool and lubricate.

Unless you can see physical damage to the derailleurs and shifters, they probably don't need to be replaced.
Old 01-17-22, 12:51 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Index shifting is really cool when its set up right, and brifters are great. For me Friction Shifters are preferred because of thier simplicity. On new bikes it can be a real learning curve to get things tuned up right. Doing it yourself is the best but it can be a real bugger and many experienced tinker'ers have been humbled by index shifting...
Old 01-17-22, 01:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
not sure of OP's location, but many areas have Bike co-ops, Bike kitchens and the like that can help with tools and advise for DIY.

+1 for park tool repair help videos

as noted a quick cheap fix can be thumb shifters, this is often a good choice with twist grip shifters die. https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10...40701881&psc=1

Old 01-17-22, 02:02 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by dbrown71467
The low shifter will only shift through 5 gears and then it's too had to push the trigger. The high shifter can only shift one gear.
The most likely problem is old rusty cables and gunked up shifters - a good clean and lube is your first step - or cable replacement if it's really bad. Then you can start dinking with derailleur stops and such.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-17-22, 11:06 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
As per Diabloscott, but also possibly frayed cables in shifters or housing. First loosen the RD/FD limit screws maximally
so there is no limiting from the screw. If no change then pull on cable where exposed on down tube (like pulling on guitar
string), if no change then pull cables out of shifter and housing and examine (and replace along with housings). Wash out
shifters repeatedly with mineral spirits and lube with any oil and if no change then go with new components.
Old 01-17-22, 11:26 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
First, assure that the inner wires slide smoothly within the cable housing
Old 01-31-22, 12:21 PM
JohnFord

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbrown71467
So I bought a used bike, and am new to mountain biking. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm not sure I will enjoy frequently. Anyhow, the shifting is totally screwed up. It's a Ghost Crow and is a 21 speed. I have 3x7 shifters. The low shifter will only shift through 5 gears and then it's too had to push the trigger. The high shifter can only shift one gear. The derailleur's both front and rear are unmarked so I am unsure of the brands. The derailleur hanger seems to be fine. I'm thinking the only way to get the bike up and going properly is to replace the shifters and front and rear derailleur. My question is this, can I buy the shifters SHIMANO TOURNEY TY - EZ FIRE, the rear Derailleur SHIMANO TOURNEY RD-TY200-GS and the SHIMANO TOURNEY FD-TY710-TS6 and have everything work? Or do I still need to set aside a large amount of money for more expensive parts? I know a site that I can go now and get a list of places where you can get a cash loan in your state. But I thought that it would be possible to solve this issue taking into account investmentsThe previous parts are all part of the same series line-up and are suppose to work with 3x7 gearing. Will the existing hanger work with the new rear derailleur? The rear derailleur says (Combination of front triple with rear 14-28T only) how do I figure this out? Sorry for the drawn out question, but like I said, I am new to this but would like to do it myself instead of going to bike shops.
Never spare money on parts for your bike if you want a long life from it.

Last edited by JohnFord; 01-31-22 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 04:39 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Just wanted to add that this was a good move on your part. I'd been wanting to try out mountain biking for years and never been able to afford to do it. In the end, I got a used Giant XTC 4 off a friend and really haven't looked back. I've lavished a bit of TLC on the Giant without spending too much money and it's served me well. I'm now about to go well up market (Sonder Dial XT) safe in the knowledge that the new bike will get a decent amount of use.