Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Enter the Unidentified Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Enter the Unidentified Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 08:47 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Thanks guys, very interesting. Oh well, I had figured identification would be a long shot and for now I'll let that go. Maybe at some point someone will walk up and say "Hey that's a...." Great if so, but regardless of origins it is unique and will hopefully be a decent ride. Component-wise this thread has been helpful and I know where I'm going with that, won't be perfect but it should look right. Paint? Chrome? Still something I need to work out between now and restoration time.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 01-18-22 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-18-22, 01:37 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
This frame was in my eBay watchlist for a while, glad to see it go to a fellow CV member.

I think the rear dropouts are the same as used on the ‘46 Gillott pictured here:

Gillott

To be clear, I don’t think the frame is a Gillott (serial number format is wrong for starters) just that the dropouts may be helpful for identification. I pored over many pictures of British lightweights on CR and elsewhere trying to find a match for them and that was the only one.
Old 01-18-22, 02:21 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
C9H13N , thanks. I watched it for a week or so myself before I finally decided to make an offer to the seller. I'd done previous business with him and he's usually easy to work with, mostly offers items needing some work but given his pricing I'm fine with that. I had also done some searching on the rear dropouts and saw several similar-but-not-the-same examples. Until I get a firm ID (if I ever do) it will be the "Res Ignota". I may make up some decals to that effect after I finish it if I get really bored one weekend.