Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

puzzling creak trouble shooting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 06:40 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have a small Giant Rincon budget mountain bike that my sister rides when visiting. I bought it used for cheap ($10). The bottom bracket was shot. The shifters shot. Most everything in bad shape but it did brake (mechanical disc brakes) and the wheels seem fine and true. For is just a spring fork, ugly but works. So, I took used parts to rebuilt the drivetrain. When I rode it, it had a puzzling creak that would come and go when pedaling. It felt like the bottom bracket and there was evidence that the bb was at one time partially cross threaded. I did try a different bottom bracket and different crankset and it made no difference. I brought it in to our local bike coop and they retapped the bb shell and checked the frame to see if it was bent. Frame straight. Replaced the threaded bb and no change. Still creaks.

Other suggestions? It seems as if there was enough threads to hold the bb tight but it is odd to screw in, one person has to hold the axle level so it screws in straight.

If in fact it still is the bb any suggestions? Or toss the cheap frame and start all over?
Old 01-16-22, 07:07 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Be sure that your shoes are not intermittently rubbing against the crankarm

Had a customer once with a similar problem ....they brought the bicycle in 5 times with a on and off squeak

Finally I went out on a side street with him riding ....SQUEAK ....guess what ?, his shoe was rubbing against the crankarm

Told him to ride with his feet further outboard on his pedals = END OF SQUEAK !
Old 01-16-22, 07:23 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Funny, but I am sure that is not it, I've ridden with many different shoes and I've never done such a thing. I did swap out pedals in just in case but it made no difference.
Old 01-16-22, 08:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Check all the other stressed parts. Seat on post. Post in frame, Stem/bars. Spokes at the nipples and their crosses. For starters. Andy
Old 01-16-22, 09:06 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I had/have a similar issue with my road bike. I disassembled, cleaned, and regreased my BB but that wasn't it. Bunch of people here suggested to lube my seatpost inside the seat tube. Yep!

I've had to regrease it once now at 500 miles.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 01-16-22, 11:34 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Check all the other stressed parts. Seat on post. Post in frame, Stem/bars. Spokes at the nipples and their crosses. For starters. Andy
Did all but spokes. Will do. Thanks.
Old 01-18-22, 04:39 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Examine the frame closely. I have know frame cracks to make unexplained creaks and noises.
Old 01-18-22, 07:06 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Examine the frame closely. I have know frame cracks to make unexplained creaks and noises.
Good idea. Thanks.