Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rollers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 03:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
@bianchi10, @Carbonfiberboy and @UnfilteredDregs... This is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the fact that you took the time to type out your responses. It means more to me than you know.

Great feedback on the SportCrafters warranty and I did not know that the rollers could be reversed.

I'm starting to lean toward the SportCrafters but the TACX Galaxia seems nice given the price. Either way, I'm probably not going to get a bargain basement set. I'd go used first if that was the case.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-22-16 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-22-16, 03:19 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
When I was looking the Sportcrafters seemed like the best option to me too, apart from the Inside Ride ones of course.
Old 12-22-16, 04:58 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
Resistance is important. Otherwise you will be spinning a lot and workouts will not be very fruitful. My 20+ year old Performance rollers still work fine.
That is where I see trainers being used. For our purposed resistance makes things less fruitful. I specifically purchased rollers to not have much resistance. Resistance was/is done in the gym and climbing hills.

Purpose not to have resistance.
Spinning out after a workout.
Spinning out before a workout / race.
Getting cadence.
Getting rpms in your legs.
To some degree handling / smoothness.
Old 12-22-16, 05:05 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Comments regarding not needing resistance are interesting. Thanks.

Just thinking out loud, the SportCrafter and Kreitler products have options to add resistance later if needed. The trade off is price but these should last and have a lifetime warranty. SportCrafter warranty is transferable and so these can be purchased used.

Depending on mood I'm running 79 to 85 gear inches on the fixed gear bike. Swapping a cog isn't a big deal.

So what should I stay away from? Are specific designs or products dangerous? What should be avoided?

-Tim-
You need to tell us what you want them for.
That may depend on where you live and what other options you have.

I am a firm believer bike walks/low resistance is better for you than high resistance - most days. And to really get the resistance you need, rollers are not the thing. But if you don't have good riding, training gym, or trainer options and you want one device for everything, sure - get resistance. But also be in a position to turn it off and spin and relax/recover. For that reason going smaller than 3.5" just provides too much grind when you want to chill.
Old 12-22-16, 05:33 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Btw, Planet-X sells a Sportscrafters lookalike that is usually a fair bit cheaper, although once you add shipping not so much. You might want to check it out.
Old 12-22-16, 07:34 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge
That is where I see trainers being used. For our purposed resistance makes things less fruitful. I specifically purchased rollers to not have much resistance. Resistance was/is done in the gym and climbing hills.

Getting cadence.

I don't need a trainer for resistance, the cool thing about the Sportcrafters is basically below 15mph the resistance isn't engaged, it ramps from there. So...what I do before and after my workout is drop to a gear where I can spin for warm up/ cool down.

Personally I find the body core work rollers require to be a huge plus, and they pay off in spades for handling and smoothness IMO.

The only disadvantage is not being able to get out of the saddle...that's why the E-Motion are so attractive.
Old 12-22-16, 07:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts

Getting cadence.
One gears down. As I said, resistance is proportional to speed on these rigs. Even at my advanced age, I can pedal for 40' in zone 2 at over 110 rpm. I use my 39 X 27 for that. I used to pedal a steady 117 in my 42 X 23 but that was a few years ago . . . I do my recovery roller rides in zone 1 at ~90 cadence on them, though in lower gears now than I used to use. What's not to like, other than aging?
Old 12-22-16, 08:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

You need to tell us what you want them for.
That may depend on where you live and what other options you have.

I am a firm believer bike walks/low resistance is better for you than high resistance - most days. And to really get the resistance you need, rollers are not the thing. But if you don't have good riding, training gym, or trainer options and you want one device for everything, sure - get resistance. But also be in a position to turn it off and spin and relax/recover. For that reason going smaller than 3.5" just provides too much grind when you want to chill.
I understand and really appreciate this. Resistance isn't the primary function of rollers. I get it, and I do have access to an amazing gym only .5 miles from my home if I chose to take advantage of it. Atlanta is relatively mild compared to where some of you guys live and it is very hilly here.

Thinking out loud...

It is just bikes right now - no trainer, no rollers - and like everyone else, would like to get something to supplement riding during the winter months. Aerobic fitness, form, cadence, weight, health, cholesterol, etc., the basics. I'm not looking to qualify for the Olympics. Time is something I value as well and so versatility matters to me.

Time is something I value as well and so versatility matters. Is it really that far of a reach to want resistance when we are already talking about products which list for $400 and above? I don't know and that's why I'm posting here, to get feedback from guys like you to help figure it out. It means a lot to me.

Just trying to figure out where the best value is and when I look at the price of trainers I see rollers with resistance as a good value. The responses by @UnfilteredDregs and @Carbonfiberboy were very provocative in that regard and the fact that I ride fixed gear is part of the equation.

Again, really appreciate responses from everyone, especially those who challenge my assumptions.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-22-16 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-22-16, 08:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Personally I find the body core work rollers require to be a huge plus, and they pay off in spades for handling and smoothness IMO.
Just add that this is very attractive to me.

-Tim-
Old 12-22-16, 08:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
I understand and really appreciate this. Resistance isn't the primary function of rollers. I get it, and I do have access to an amazing gym only .5 miles from my home if I chose to take advantage of it. Atlanta is relatively mild compared to where some of you guys live and it is very hilly here.

Thinking out loud...

It is just bikes right now - no trainer, no rollers - and like everyone else, would like to get something to supplement riding during the winter months. Aerobic fitness, form, cadence, weight, health, cholesterol, etc., the basics. I'm not looking to qualify for the Olympics. Time is something I value as well and so versatility matters to me.

Time is something I value as well and so versatility matters. Is it really that far of a reach to want resistance when we are already talking about products which list for $400 and above? I don't know and that's why I'm posting here, to get feedback from guys like you to help figure it out. It means a lot to me.

Just trying to figure out where the best value is and when I look at the price of trainers I see rollers with resistance as a good value. The responses by @UnfilteredDregs and @Carbonfiberboy were very provocative in that regard and the fact that I ride fixed gear is part of the equation.

Again, really appreciate responses from everyone, especially those who challenge my assumptions.

-Tim-
For fixed gear, the Sportscrafters really make a lot of sense because they give you, in effect, 3 gears. You can choose the type of workout you want.
Old 12-22-16, 09:17 PM
Doge

I started riding in my kitchen about 1980. Kreitlers. I had the fan, but didn't use it. We were doing testing for things to stabilize rollers. I live in SoCal so rollers were for low resistance. At the time roller competitions were a thing - a small thing, but they existed.

I got my kid on them about age 10. I'd dump him on the side of the road before a race to warm up. At that time he couldn't dismount without help #meandad.

Portability was a nice feature too. Took the train to Wi for nationals in 2013 and he got his riding in. I've posted this numerous times. Also - not the same as the road, but you CAN stand on rollers.
Old 12-22-16, 09:53 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also - not the same as the road, but you CAN stand on rollers.

You sure can, but not in any form or method that relates to actual riding...to do so results in one shooting the bike backwards out from under them...

Although there is another brand I can't recall at the moment that purports to being able to handle out of the saddle efforts, besides the E-Motion...
Old 12-22-16, 11:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

At the time roller competitions were a thing - a small thing, but they existed.
Those video's are great!

Back in college I walked into the student union one evening to find guys riding rollers up on the tables. They had paid some fee to compete and the gig was that they had to down a shot every few minutes. Last man riding won the money. This was 1983-ish.

Sorry, no videos.

-Tim-
Old 12-23-16, 12:06 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
You sure can, but not in any form or method that relates to actual riding...to do so results in one shooting the bike backwards out from under them...

Although there is another brand I can't recall at the moment that purports to being able to handle out of the saddle efforts, besides the E-Motion...
There are no rollers that you can do max effort on unless they are strapped down. But...not the purpose of rollers.
Old 12-23-16, 12:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I've got to second Doge. Rollers are for teaching your body really good pedaling style and habits. Also improving efficiency and energy conservation (by teaching your muscles to relax at the portions of the stroke when they aren't working. You can ride years thinking you are pedaling smoothly and efficiently but your first roller ride is likely to be a big eye-opener. What is thought to be smooth on the road is often unridable on rollers.) Another plus if you race - other riders will appreciate your smoother riding style. You become more welcome in breaks. Quality riders start hanging around. Better riders around you, fewer crashes you see. It's all good.

Ben
Old 12-23-16, 12:26 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
... Wind resistance is noisy and a kludge IMO.
Not disagreeing, wind resistance on rollers is noisy and is kind of a kludge. That said, my son-in-law gave me an extra set of rollers that happened to have a wind resistance unit, and it's kind of handy. It's not so loud that I can't hear what's coming in my ear-buds and the breeze keeps the size of the puddles down to small pond size.
Old 12-23-16, 12:26 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
There are no rollers that you can do max effort on unless they are strapped down. But...not the purpose of rollers.

These guys look pretty max.

Old 12-23-16, 12:40 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Out of the saddle is what I'm talking about. I get upwards of 140rpm in the saddle.
Old 12-23-16, 12:45 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Found them...Trutrainer rollers...You can ride out of the saddle rather naturally on these:

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 12-23-16 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 12:58 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another thing on the rollers...do the slow race..3-8 mph...really gets you in tune. I'm at the point where I can take my hands off the bars for a good while. It's more in your head than anything else.
Old 12-23-16, 01:05 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Power way under max. Max power - they ride off.
Old 12-23-16, 01:18 AM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What should I look for in a set of rollers?

Just toying with the idea of rollers for now. Confessing ignorance here and so I started with the generic, open ended question above.

One specific concern is tire wear. My understanding is that larger diameter rollers are easier on tires. Is this correct? Do I need different tires for riding rollers as opposed to the road?

I've no specific brand or model in mind but have looked at products like the TACX Galaxia, Sporcrafters Overdrive Pro and Kreitler 4.5 just to gather information. I like the idea of added resistance with the Sportcrafter's resistance roller or an accessory like the Kreitler headwind fan.

Note that I'm not interested in trainers at this time. I like the idea of balance, concentration, engaging the core, etc., and am not interested in zwift. I also ride fixed gear and so would prefer rollers over a trainer at this time.

-Tim-
i just got some from performance bike today and i like them a lot it was a good one hour work out i can get me into the 175 bpm on the rollers and its decent work out. there is some resistance to them but nothing like a real ride, just enough for a work out. i use them really only to burn fat and not gain weight. and also to try to hold high efforts for longer, you wont really gain muscle or at least not like when your out really riding.

the tacx galaxia is a good one cause it allows for movement and you can sprint on them if i had the money i would have gone the tacx galaxia for the movement that it allows for a better smoother experience . but if you dont care about the movement part ant rollers will do really.

Last edited by allen254; 12-23-16 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 06:15 AM
sour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got two sets of rollers. The first was purchased in 1993 and is a plastic drum fold up performance set. They were loud and had a hop, but where effective for my needs. For as long as I have owned these, I always thought about replacing with nice (expensive) rollers. In the end, I bought a set of reduced radius aluminum Nashbar rollers 3 years ago when on sale for $100 delivered. The new rollers are smoother and quieter but do the exact same thing as the older set.

I probably average about 20 hrs/yr on the rollers. I prefer, and spend more time on, the fluid trainers over the rollers as I can read while riding. The rollers are nice for working on balance and smooth cadence and for impressing friends with stupid human tricks.
Old 12-23-16, 07:25 AM
Square Wheels
Banned.

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert Compact

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I understand Deacon. Thank you. I've no desire to become disabled or injured and my father's words, "You have a family to worry about" are ringing in my ears.

It is a concern and this is what is really holding me back right now.

Pray for me.

-Tim-
I agree, I didn't find them easy at all. I went with the "nice ones". I got thrown off a few times, banged up my knee pretty good the last time, then the rollers sat unused in my basement for over a year.

I built this and now I love riding them. My wife even rides them now.

I only hold on when I find myself not paying attention and riding hard into the side. This rarely happens.

Not sure why the image won't show, I can't upload it, only post a link.

https://ctreeves.smugmug.com/Bike/Ne...ls/i-ZHkwR7M/A

Old 12-23-16, 08:40 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Square Wheels
I agree, I didn't find them easy at all. I went with the "nice ones". I got thrown off a few times, banged up my knee pretty good the last time, then the rollers sat unused in my basement for over a year.

I built this and now I love riding them. My wife even rides them now.

I only hold on when I find myself not paying attention and riding hard into the side. This rarely happens.

Not sure why the image won't show, I can't upload it, only post a link.

https://ctreeves.smugmug.com/Bike/Ne...ls/i-ZHkwR7M/A

Ah, the InsideRide. Tell me more please.

What do you like about them? What don't you like? What options do you have?

I ask because there is a set near me on Criagslist... https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bop/5911694508.html

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-23-16 at 08:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.