Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding Deep Dish Wheels in Heavy Wind

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 04:14 PM
Kahrpistols

Bikes: Fuji Cross 2.0 LE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are there any skills I should know/learn before I ride my new deep-ish wheels in hard wind? (15+ mph steady)

Should I keep weight off the front so that twitches won't send me over the handlebars or should I put more weight on the front so that the wheels won't move laterally as easily?

I ride in NE NJ across the GWB almost every day and sometimes the wind up there can get quite hairy and the sidewalk is barely 8' wide. I don't have all that much space to buffer a gust so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to leave the deep wheels at home on windy days or if I can continue to ride them?

They are not the new Zipp 454 NSW that has the special shape supposed to help with crosswinds. Regular U shape 50 mm deep wheels.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-17, 04:23 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
led forward and maybe stay in the drops longer? The front iwll always move, it's a skill set learned on the bike rather than interwebz
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 01-06-17, 04:25 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I ride regularly with 50+ deep wheels. The secret is learning to relax and avoid sudden jerk reactions. The wind won't knock you over but overreacting will. Practice keeping your arms, hands and shoulders loose.
Old 01-06-17, 04:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
BTW please call them "deep section" wheels and not "deep dish." In wheel talk, dish refers to how the rear wheel rim is off center to compensate for the asymmetry due to the gears on the drive side.

Thank you for your cooperation in these matters, and enjoy your wheels.
Old 01-06-17, 04:39 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I ride regularly with 50+ deep wheels. The secret is learning to relax and avoid sudden jerk reactions. The wind won't knock you over but overreacting will. Practice keeping your arms, hands and shoulders loose.
This. Don't fight the bike too much.
Old 01-06-17, 04:39 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

This!

Just relax and ride, you'll be fine.

Old 01-06-17, 04:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Crosswinds aren't that much of a problem if they're steady since you'll easily adjust. But gusty crosswinds call for sharp reflexes and being in tune with your bike.

The combined action of your body and the front wheel can make for sudden changes in steering and the point of balance. I don't know that any special skill is needed, except the instinct to react correctly which will come with experience. Keep your speed down, especially on descents until you have those instincts and are comfortable with your ability to hold a line in gusty winds.

In my personal experience the only secret is trusting yourself and your bike to control the effects and staying relaxed rather than overcorrecting.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-06-17, 04:46 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
BTW please call them "deep section" wheels and not "deep dish." In wheel talk, dish refers to how the rear wheel rim is off center to compensate for the asymmetry due to the gears on the drive side.

I was thinking pizza but I'm hungry.
Old 01-06-17, 04:56 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could be 11 speed wheels. That could be deep dish compared to 6 speed wheels.
Old 01-06-17, 04:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

One other warning about cross winds on the road, regardless of the wheels.

A sudden interruption of a strong crosswind is as bad or maybe worse than a sudden gust. So be ready to react if passing trucks, or if commuting in a highly built area, for the difference between a straight shot down a cross street and the lea of buildings.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-06-17, 05:14 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As has been stated, keep your weight forward and relax your grip/body. You'll get use to it in no time. My first ride was 35mph winds with gusts. Not the way I would recommend learning, and I went from 32's to 50's.
Old 01-06-17, 05:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Actually, this is good advice for whatever type of wheels you ride.
Old 01-06-17, 05:52 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

A sudden interruption of a strong crosswind is as bad or maybe worse than a sudden gust. So be ready to react if passing trucks, or if commuting in a highly built area, for the difference between a straight shot down a cross street and the lea of buildings.
No kidding.
I've almost fallen into a transit bus when I was Northbound, leaning into a heavy wind from the West,
then the bus passed me, and suddenly the wind was gone for a few moments.
Old 01-06-17, 05:57 PM
RushFan2112

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2, Cannondale F1000 SL

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
One suggestion, which happens to be what I do, is to pick up a second set of inexpensive wheels and put them on for really windy days. I'm running 46s, and the wind will push me around to the point where it can be quite frightening. In my experience wind gusts are far more difficult/scarier than sustained winds. As others have mentioned you learn how to compensate in steady winds, but the gusts will catch you by surprise.
Old 01-06-17, 05:59 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
or you can always find a drafting buddy
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 01-06-17, 06:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I had a near miss coming down Stevens Pass when a Uhaul went by. Pay attention to what FBinNY says.
Old 01-06-17, 06:10 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I had a near miss coming down Stevens Pass when a Uhaul went by. Pay attention to what FBinNY says.
This is a lesson burnt in very deeply. Many decades back I almost went off the George Washington Bridge when riding on the bike path in a stiff crosswind. A tractor trailer passed me and I overcompensated when recovering and crashed into the guard rail. The second part of that lesson is that guard rails made for pedestrians offer limited protection to cyclists who's asses are higher than the top rail.

Old 01-06-17, 06:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You bring up something else I learned. I used to kayak a lot. I'd pay attention to tell-tales, things like flags, leaves on trees, etc, to watch the wind shift. I'd see it, then the water would change a few seconds later. When I got more serious about cycling, I'd try to do the same, anticipate gusts by paying attention to the stuff around me. It wasn't just a distraction (eyes on the road!), I'd also always over-compensate when I was waiting for it. Unlearned that habit pretty quickly. As mentioned above, you're much better off being relaxed and reacting more slowly.
Old 01-06-17, 07:37 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
When it's really windy you'd be better served with regular rims.
Old 01-06-17, 07:49 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
If the wind is smooth and you got the yaw right - go for it. They are like a sail. Otherwise they likely rob energy.
Old 01-06-17, 10:25 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
When it's really windy you'd be better served with regular rims.
Originally Posted by Doge
If the wind is smooth and you got the yaw right - go for it. They are like a sail. Otherwise they likely rob energy.
The shape of the hoop also matters greatly. I've had 32mm and 46mm V-shaped hoops that were a bear to ride in crosswinds, but my U-shaped 38mm hoops are just fine. The 38s seem as steady as the 24mm non-aero hoops that I use for hillclimb TTs.
Old 01-06-17, 11:38 PM
Kahrpistols

Bikes: Fuji Cross 2.0 LE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I thought that was what they were called but I kept reading "deep dish"... Anyway, I'll keep the deep dishes limited to pizza and refer to it as deep section.

I'm quite excited to try them out the next time it's gusty after reading everyone's response. My experience even with my current shallow 24mm rims is the same as most of y'all's - that steady winds are no problem... It's those gusts....
Old 01-06-17, 11:59 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Uh no.

Ride your bike.
Old 01-07-17, 12:01 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and what FBinNY says is spot on.

Ride your bike, don't let it ride you.
Old 01-07-17, 01:06 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
... and the lea of buildings.
Except: Lea lives in the building, not behind it. We riders have to watch for the lee of buildings, etc. (When you grow up racing sailboats, these things matter. Now, maybe we do have to watch out for Lea, but that's a totally separate issue.)

A funny story of birds encountering the lee of boats for the first time. Sailing across the Atlantic. We were often accompanied by shearwaters for hours at a time. Shearwaters are one of the great soaring birds, only they soar inches off the water surface, using the surface effect to maintain that tiny altitude over a constantly moving surface, frequently touching the surface with their wingtips. We were obviously the first sailboat they had encountered. Some discovered the updraft off our stern and would "park", sometimes for more than an hour 6' above the rearmost of the deck and just out of our reach.

Others would soar across in front of us - once! They would hit our wind shadow, momentarily lose lift, and crash! It was hilarious. They learned fast but there was an endless supply of newcomers.

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.