Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Good safe paved climbs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 01:50 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
I try to do the Reecer climb a couple of times per year. Man it's a ball-buster!

I've ridden up to Lion Rock from Blewett Pass on my Mountain Bike. The road was so bad in places I had to get off and push a Mountain Bike! Very nice ride in the fall, the larches are amazing.
That's awesome. I've not done Reecer in a few years.

I've not done the road on a bike past the end of pavement on Reecer but have spent literally weeks driving all those roads hunting and exploring over the years. I have ridden a loop from Ellensburg up the Teanaway and over the north end of Redtop coming back to 97 right above Mineral Springs and then back home. Named that one "The Epic" on Strava when I did it 7-8 years ago. The climb out of the Teanaway was brutal. A few years later tried it again and turned back short of the the top by less than a half mile. I could only take so much 10%+ on that day on gravel. Funny thing is the ride became more elevation than the loop. Life happened between those two rides with changing from an office job back to driving truck. Now that I am back in an office job I have more time for cycling and slowly am working back to my previous fitness.

I plan to attempt Chinook to Sunrise and back on Aug. 4th since it's National Park Day and fees are waived. With my current fitness and weight that will be pretty epic.