Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Love New Technology: Confessions of an Early Adopter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Love New Technology: Confessions of an Early Adopter

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 09:44 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love new technology but I'm often a very very late adopter. And not because I cannot afford it but because I am fundamentally cheap and I don't generally like to replace something that still serve the purpose well. As a result I have a 7 year PC (built myself) which I am considering replacing but more for the fun factor of building a new one since the current works well and does everything I need it to do. I have a 16 year old car (97 Acura integra GSR) which also works well and does everything I need it to do and is still quick and agile enough for me. Finally I have a 32 year old steel bike which is also in general good enough for me but I am looking at getting a new bike because the current one is in need of significant upgrades to make some of the riding around here a bit easier on my old knees

I do have an iphone 5 but that's only because work pays for the plan...otherwise I'd only have a cheap phone for emergencies cause that's all I need it for...but I do like the ipad especially when we travel
Old 10-04-13, 03:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
If I thought I could jump on a Super Six (or anything else) and it would fit and feel perfect, I wouldn't mind the price so much. It's just the only way I have been able to spend a lot of time on a bike is to buy that bike, except the time I was able to demo a Rize 120.
Old 10-04-13, 04:05 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
One way to play the new bike game is to belong to a larger cycling club and be plugged into the local cycling scene which I think you are to a large extent. We have purchased bikes and equipment from trusted sources where both parties were happy with the deal. One can save a lot of money. Finding a larger frame is more difficult for sure. Also, clubs always have deals with manufacturers and bike shops. We get an across the board discount from a bike shop and I just got notice that they were moving and offered us substantially reduced prices on bikes and frames in stock. Plus we have significant discounts on team buys for lights, wheels, helmets, shoes, clothes, socks and etc. I was the sponsorship chair for our track and obtained and negotiated deals with sponsors saving racers hundreds of dollars on frames and equipment as well as getting free stuff. Even though negotiation and perseverance are not high tech, they do pay off when trying to save money. I was a deal maker / developer / financier during my business career.
That has been a godsend to me. Some of the riders in my club are real early adopters. If I see they are looking at moving to a 11 speed I start talking to them about buying their old, like maybe a year, red derailleur or cranks and save them till someone has a frame for sale. I got my Aero bars that way.
Old 10-04-13, 07:02 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
New Microsoft Operating Systems are definitely something I wait at least a year on.
True. I would take your advice a step further and note that every other Microsoft OS is fraught with problems, which are fixed in the next one. Win98 was good. ME was junk, but XP was very stable. Vista was incompatible with almost everything, then Win7 came along and finally proved to be everything Vista should have been, but wasn't. The jury is still out on Win8, but I hope to avoid it entirely and buy my next computer after Win9 has been out for awhile.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-04-13, 07:05 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Originally Posted by nuke_diver
I love new technology but I'm often a very very late adopter. And not because I cannot afford it but because I am fundamentally cheap and I don't generally like to replace something that still serve the purpose well. ... I have a 16 year old car (97 Acura integra GSR) which also works well and does everything I need it to do and is still quick and agile enough for me. Finally I have a 32 year old steel bike which is also in general good enough for me ...
My feeling exactly. I just spent $1500 fixing up my 1996 Audi A4 instead of buying a new car, and I have no plans to replace either my 1981 Bianchi or my 1998 Schwinn. I don't part with money very easily -- copper wire was invented by two Scots fighting over a penny.
Old 10-04-13, 07:56 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by John E
My feeling exactly. I just spent $1500 fixing up my 1996 Audi A4 instead of buying a new car, and I have no plans to replace either my 1981 Bianchi or my 1998 Schwinn. I don't part with money very easily -- copper wire was invented by two Scots fighting over a penny.
I just got a picture, from this post it would seem as if you might believe the Dickens gave Scrooge a bad rap in Christmas Carol? In this sub forum it would seem as if Jack Benny might be some people's idol, or at least his character.
Old 10-05-13, 02:07 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
No cell phone. No CO2. No clipless.

Bah Humbug !
Old 10-05-13, 06:25 AM
John E
feros ferio

Originally Posted by Zinger
No cell phone. No CO2. No clipless.

Bah Humbug !
No, I do have a cell phone, but yes, I also have a full size pump on every bicycle, as well as toeclips with straps. I prefer the pump, which never runs out of pressure. I want at least one bicycle set up for street shoes, which means toeclips with straps, and I do not trust myself with a mixed fleet.

As others have mentioned, such personal preferences aside, the primary reason many of us are not early adopters is the high cost of joining that club. Ebenezer Scrooge got it only 2/3 right and missed the most important 1/3 -- John Wesley said, "Earn all you can; Save all you can." However, he also said, "Give all you can."
Old 10-05-13, 04:36 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

No, I do have a cell phone, but yes, I also have a full size pump on every bicycle, as well as toeclips with straps. I prefer the pump, which never runs out of pressure. I want at least one bicycle set up for street shoes, which means toeclips with straps, and I do not trust myself with a mixed fleet.

As others have mentioned, such personal preferences aside, the primary reason many of us are not early adopters is the high cost of joining that club. Ebenezer Scrooge got it only 2/3 right and missed the most important 1/3 -- John Wesley said, "Earn all you can; Save all you can." However, he also said, "Give all you can."
Well I'm Scots too and that's probably a good part of my problem, lol.

Actually I've bought CO2 stuff but don't have the room for it in my current seatpack. On a new winter build I might hafta practice with it and carry it along with a mini backup pump.

That won't leave room for a cellphone so I guess I'll hafta spring for some dogtags with blood type and next of kin etched on them.

The clipless will hafta wait until my relatively NOS 15 year old "Performance" touring shoes wear out in about another 15 years or so.

And yeah I might have to get into the "Box o Crap" game over in C&V just to give away some of the perfectly good stuff that I've got that I'll never use.....As thanks to the Gods for setting me up with a very appreciated frame set to build up.

I'm OK with being Scots as long as Ken Buchanan doesn't wear those plaid boxing trunks into the ring with Roberto Duran anymore.

Last edited by Zinger; 10-05-13 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-05-13, 04:56 PM
Mobile 155

There is another saying I like, "its your money spend it as you like." J. G. Wentworth. And one I like even better, There are no trailers on a Hurst.

But in effect what should be said be said is we can justify spending money on equipment either by having lots of it or getting one we really want.
Old 10-05-13, 04:58 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Interesting that I just got back from walking my dog and was listening to a very unFredly Fredcast in which they were discussing Boardman bikes. Hiding the front brakes in the fork gives tangible power advantages.

Great stuff. If I were competitive and didn't have a backside larger the LaGuardia airport, I'd buy the stuff if I could afford it.

As it stands, maybe with a new aero bike I could get my average speed over 14 MPH. I'd probably pass out if I went that fast.

Old 10-05-13, 05:19 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Interesting that I just got back from walking my dog and was listening to a very unFredly Fredcast in which they were discussing Boardman bikes. Hiding the front brakes in the fork gives tangible power advantages.

Great stuff. If I were competitive and didn't have a backside larger the LaGuardia airport, I'd buy the stuff if I could afford it.

As it stands, maybe with a new aero bike I could get my average speed over 14 MPH. I'd probably pass out if I went that fast.

Now that right there was funny I don't care who you are. But what makes this thread more interesting is the honesty. It is easier to accept the reasoning behind people's choices related to cost verses wants and needs. Most of the other threads related to frame material have some romantic notion of the bike being alive or some black magic about artisans imparting soul to the machine. his is simple, people buy what they are willing to spend money on.
Old 10-05-13, 07:17 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm definitely not a early adopter of tech; still not on carbon, only 6 years on 9-speed, 10 on clipless....

As a MTB'er, I really appreciate a lot of what is going on now; the tapered headset is a real boon to the rider, so much stronger. SRAM's "Zero Loss Travel" shifting was a major leap forward for 9-speed, and while I don't KNOW, I'm guessing the 10- and 11-speed equipment is equally sharp.

It's just too bad that some quality innovations have fallen by the wayside.
Old 10-05-13, 07:45 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I've three recumbents plus a hybrid; all with 9-speed drivetrains. I bought the Novara hybrid ten years ago - I'm guessing that it's been a long time since 9-speed was cutting edge. Nope, not an early adopter.
Got my first smartphone this past July: An iPhone 4. Nope, not an early adopter, generally.
Old 10-05-13, 08:58 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I've been thinking of trying on of these, but I'm waiting until they make a full carbon version of it.

Old 10-05-13, 09:12 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I've been thinking of trying on of these, but I'm waiting until they make a full carbon version of it.

What a hoot they are. But they are the original fixie, and stopping at a light can be your own Chinese fire drill.
Old 10-05-13, 09:19 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for your service. Beta and immediate post beta testers help make the world a better place.
Old 10-06-13, 09:26 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Love new technology but, like Jppe, I'm usually not in the first wave. My engine still kind of limits the usefulness of cutting edge bike stuff for me.

CF, GPS, clipless Sidis, good lights, electronic shifting, powermeter all = YES.
new women's skinsuit technology = DEfinitely BIG YES

I'm still sulking a bit about eleven speed though, to be honest. It ruins everything.

Thanks for a good interesting thread Hermes.
Old 10-07-13, 05:06 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Love new technology but, like Jppe, I'm usually not in the first wave. My engine still kind of limits the usefulness of cutting edge bike stuff for me.

CF, GPS, clipless Sidis, good lights, electronic shifting, powermeter all = YES.

I'm still sulking a bit about eleven speed though, to be honest. It ruins everything.

Not sure I want to see you in a women's skin suit. If anyone says post pictures, please pass.
Old 10-07-13, 08:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn

Your welcome.
Old 10-07-13, 08:50 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
That is in sharp contrast to computers and other electronics where early adopters pay a significant premium to be the first owner with later buyers getting superior products at substantially reduced rates.

I thought you 508 guys were busy trying to regrow skin on your ass after all the training getting ready for the main event versus confessing to being a Luddite. Hey, that may be a great next thread - the 50+ BF confessional. I am not sure who is qualified to give absolution.
You know, that's a good point. I think there are fewer technological evolutionary dead ends with cycling equipment than other technologies, particularly sport-related (to me, the rear-entry ski boot is a classic example). All I could come up with was Shimano's "Biopace" cranks. Maybe it reflects an industry further along in it's evolution. Always thought this would be a good read:

https://www.cyclepublishing.com/cyclingbooks/dc.html

No worries on the skin regeneration, BTW ... I use this!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snake-oil.jpg (46.3 KB, 3 views)

Old 10-07-13, 09:41 AM
nuke_diver

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I just did adopt some new tech...a Cannondale CAAD10-3. ops: Not going to replace my old steel bike but I did a shakedown ride on it yesterday and it sure seems faster and definitely was easier (more gears easier to change than tube shifters). But I do plan for this one to be around 20 years from now when all the bikes are made out of adamatium
Old 10-12-13, 11:22 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
After all these years, long after I've stopped riding a motor cycle, I'm finally reading "Zen And the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I am only about a third of the way through the book but it is clear it's not about maintaining a motor cycle but about peoples attitudes about taking care of equipment. Even more, about finding language between people of different views to discuss what they might mean, whether discussing equipment or anything else. In this respect, it is an important book. Think how the rancorous stalemate currently underway Washington might proceed if the parties with different views actually knew what the other side was really talking about. In any case, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book. Maybe there is a meta meta theme involved.
Old 10-12-13, 12:27 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
After all these years, long after I've stopped riding a motor cycle, I'm finally reading "Zen And the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I am only about a third of the way through the book but it is clear it's not about maintaining a motor cycle but about peoples attitudes about taking care of equipment. Even more, about finding language between people of different views to discuss what they might mean, whether discussing equipment or anything else. In this respect, it is an important book. Think how the rancorous stalemate currently underway Washington might proceed if the parties with different views actually knew what the other side was really talking about. In any case, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book. Maybe there is a meta meta theme involved.
It was 23 years ago that I read that book. I can pin down the year because a friend brought it to me when I was on my back in the hospital with a bad case of pneumonia. It was a good read. Might be time to pick it up again.
Old 10-12-13, 03:12 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by Biker395
You know, that's a good point. I think there are fewer technological evolutionary dead ends with cycling equipment than other technologies, particularly sport-related (to me, the rear-entry ski boot is a classic example). All I could come up with was Shimano's "Biopace" cranks. Maybe it reflects an industry further along in it's evolution. Always thought this would be a good read:

https://www.cyclepublishing.com/cyclingbooks/dc.html
I used to ride with a guy who tried those weird looking chain rings and he kept losing chains when shifting to the big ring after cresting climbs. He couldn't give them away after that.

That looks like an interesting read and I did mention Suntours slant parallelogram derailleur not entirely in jest. I didn't get around to using one until a Superbe model in the early '80s but I definitely grew an addiction to using them on narrow ultra 7 freewheels. In 1984 their patent ran out and Shimano began using the slant parallelogram in their 600 EX and Dura Ace. Took awhile for Campy to come around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
suntour cyclone.jpg (18.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 10-12-13 at 03:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.