Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are bike paths more dangerous than roads?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are bike paths more dangerous than roads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 07:11 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RamahX
I've ridden the MUPS of Philadelphia and Delaware. Have not ridden any MUPS here in GA, but a close friend just rode a 'famous' one and reported on FB he wanted to "kill peeps" I can attest, that even though I posted in the +50 forum that I'm all somber about the recent deaths on the street, the fact that I've even been psudo attacked on the road with cagers opening their door on me, and the many calling my sexuality into question because I'm over 50 and felling spandy - I can safely say I prefer the dangers of the road to ANY MUPS. I've had to dodge rude peds, leashes of small bratty unpredictable dogs (and dodging dog mines), suicidal squirrels, gangster children, and poorly maintained paths. I even preferred and had more fun dealing with the INSANITY of downtown Philadelphia riding in traffic and LOVED IT (if your wondering why, see my profile, us old Chiefs in the Coast Guard are disaster gypsy's).

I also take issue with the carte blanche statement that any collision with a ped is the cyclist fault as a "loss of situational awareness" (as a military peep who's written way too many MISHAP REPORTS I can't STAND that phrase)... there's more and more sense of entitlement w/peds that causes erratic behavior as the above two posters stated
There are TWO parties involved in a collision, it is up to each party to do their part in avoiding said collision. Most people, even pedestrians are familiar with the rules of the road, that is keep to the right. This is ingrained into our society, my 2½ year old is going through this now, which ways to look when crossing the street. It make sense then to generally keep to the right on MUPs and most people do.

I find that what works for me, most of the time, is to use my nice loud 50g bell. 99% of the time, people will shift to the right, and I pass on the left. If they don't move or turn and look, then a better phrase then "ON THE LEFT", is to say "PLEASE KEEP RIGHT", when people hear left, they generally go left, when they hear right, they generally move right. Of course when you ring the bell you should be getting your fingers on the brakes, when you yell, you should be feathering off speed. If they are still not positioning themselves properly, then keep reducing your speed. There will be times, where the safest thing to do, is to walk your bike past the "meat pylon(s)", then get back on and go.

I would much rather be .002km/h slower and end the ride the way I planned, then crash into someone and end up on the side of the trail, bleeding with broken bones or ending up visiting the city mortuary as a patient. Hey I get it, some guys want to go really fast, Google velodromes in your city, province or state, get together with a few high speed friends, rent some track bikes and the facility for a few hours and go to town. It will be safer, and it will keep you separated from the pedestrians, dog walkers, joggers and those of us on slower bikes.

Now around here, more and more trails are being marked maximum 20km/h (12MPH) and that solves some of the issues, it's a city bylaw and where it's signed, the local police and bylaw enforcement can ticket you for exceeding it, even if you do not have a bike computer.
Old 06-18-14, 09:03 AM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
There are TWO parties involved in a collision, it is up to each party to do their part in avoiding said collision. Most people, even pedestrians are familiar with the rules of the road, that is keep to the right. This is ingrained into our society, my 2½ year old is going through this now, which ways to look when crossing the street. It make sense then to generally keep to the right on MUPs and most people do.

I find that what works for me, most of the time, is to use my nice loud 50g bell. 99% of the time, people will shift to the right, and I pass on the left. If they don't move or turn and look, then a better phrase then "ON THE LEFT", is to say "PLEASE KEEP RIGHT", when people hear left, they generally go left, when they hear right, they generally move right. Of course when you ring the bell you should be getting your fingers on the brakes, when you yell, you should be feathering off speed. If they are still not positioning themselves properly, then keep reducing your speed. There will be times, where the safest thing to do, is to walk your bike past the "meat pylon(s)", then get back on and go.

I would much rather be .002km/h slower and end the ride the way I planned, then crash into someone and end up on the side of the trail, bleeding with broken bones or ending up visiting the city mortuary as a patient. Hey I get it, some guys want to go really fast, Google velodromes in your city, province or state, get together with a few high speed friends, rent some track bikes and the facility for a few hours and go to town. It will be safer, and it will keep you separated from the pedestrians, dog walkers, joggers and those of us on slower bikes.

Now around here, more and more trails are being marked maximum 20km/h (12MPH) and that solves some of the issues, it's a city bylaw and where it's signed, the local police and bylaw enforcement can ticket you for exceeding it, even if you do not have a bike computer.
well said.
Old 06-18-14, 10:09 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm not sure I want a speeding ticket for going 15 in a 12 on a bikepath. No bragging rights in that. However, some day I want a real, genuine, bona fide speeding ticket for going too fast in town. That I will frame and hang in my shop.
Old 06-18-14, 11:19 AM
dru_

Bikes: Fuji Absolute, Cannondale CAAD10, Orbea Ordu m-30, Cannondale Jeckyl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the subject line is misleading.

Are Bike Paths more dangerous? No, but MUPS are if your intent is to ride at a speed triple that of the typical jogger.

On the roads we are concerned that at 15-20 mph we are operating at 1/3 to 1/2 the speed of much heavier vehicles that place us at risk. On a MUPS, WE are the more dangerous vehicles and we need to operate under the principles we would ask the car drivers to around us.

The typical jogger is running at a pace of 5-6 mph. A road bike at a casual pace can easily sustain 15-18mph and with not much effort most of us can push well over 20mph.

I see this ALL the time as I use MUPS quite often both as a runner and a cyclist. At the end of the day, yes, the MUPS are dangerous for a the cyclist training for speed. If you are riding a pace over 15mph, you have no business being on a MUPS that is well traveled for other uses. That said, most MUPS have times and locations that are just fine (Silver Comet in GA west of Cobb County is for the most part just fine during the week, and for much of the weekend. But again, it falls on us to make smart decisions about how we ride.
Old 06-18-14, 11:21 AM
dru_

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I'm not sure I want a speeding ticket for going 15 in a 12 on a bikepath. No bragging rights in that. However, some day I want a real, genuine, bona fide speeding ticket for going too fast in town. That I will frame and hang in my shop.
For what it's worth, I have that ticket. 43 in a 25. I deserved it, and being honest, without it, I probably would have put others at risk with that behavior had I not gotten it.
Old 06-18-14, 11:44 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dru_
I think the subject line is misleading.

Are Bike Paths more dangerous? No, but MUPS are if your intent is to ride at a speed triple that of the typical jogger.

On the roads we are concerned that at 15-20 mph we are operating at 1/3 to 1/2 the speed of much heavier vehicles that place us at risk. On a MUPS, WE are the more dangerous vehicles and we need to operate under the principles we would ask the car drivers to around us.

The typical jogger is running at a pace of 5-6 mph. A road bike at a casual pace can easily sustain 15-18mph and with not much effort most of us can push well over 20mph.

I see this ALL the time as I use MUPS quite often both as a runner and a cyclist. At the end of the day, yes, the MUPS are dangerous for a the cyclist training for speed. If you are riding a pace over 15mph, you have no business being on a MUPS that is well traveled for other uses. That said, most MUPS have times and locations that are just fine (Silver Comet in GA west of Cobb County is for the most part just fine during the week, and for much of the weekend. But again, it falls on us to make smart decisions about how we ride.
I agree excessive speed is often the most dangerous aspect of MUP riding. I see it abused every time I hop on one. It's multi-use by definition and we should respect those other uses by approaching and passing safely. And always be prepared for the users that don't reciprocate for example woman sitting in path doing "hurdler's" stretch cross traffic. On top of that her aimlessly wandering male companion walks out into the opposite lane just as I move over to pass. He never looked up from staring at the ground until I called out. Almost a no win there. Lucky for us, I think mostly him I had slowed and still have a little skill. Just when you think it's only the little ones you need to expect the unexpected from......
Old 06-18-14, 01:06 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by dru_
For what it's worth, I have that ticket. 43 in a 25. I deserved it, and being honest, without it, I probably would have put others at risk with that behavior had I not gotten it.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about.
Old 06-18-14, 05:14 PM
dachshund

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's a good solution to the lane hogs? It seems like common sense to pull into one lane when another cyclist approaches, but I'm constantly hitting the brakes or hugging the edge of 'my' lane while people are chatting away, taking up most of the path. I almost got clobbered by someone jumping out to pass a long line of cyclists. The offenders are always kitted up, so they should know better.

I yell 'single file!' out of frustration, not sure if it does any good. It seems obviously rude to me, but then people will double up out on the road, which is really dangerous.
Old 06-19-14, 11:16 AM
dru_

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dachshund
I yell 'single file!' out of frustration, not sure if it does any good. It seems obviously rude to me, but then people will double up out on the road, which is really dangerous.
And in some states, it is actually legal to double up (GA being one of them)
Old 06-19-14, 12:14 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple time/distance analysis works wonders some time. Bike moving at 15 mph or 22 fps/ps. Most folks perceive and react to a hazard in 1.6 seconds (1.6 seconds is industry standard and accounts for age and experience). Child runs into path. Bike moves 35 feet before braking (P/R distance) and then approx 25 feet to stop (depending on type of surface). Child is anywhere within the 60 feet.....child gets hit by bike/bike crashes trying to avoid or both. Now, lets say the bike is moving at 25 mph or 36 fps/ps. 57 feet to P/R and approx 35 feet to stop. If the obstruction is within 92 feet, you hit it. (braking distance estimates)
MUPS around these parts are 10-12 feet wide, some 6-8. I ride on MUPS all the time, very little time is spent on roads. My speed is determined by the activity on the MUP and I am ALWAYS prepared to stop and always thinking about avoidance as I come to an obstruction. This is under my control. When on the roadways you are at the mercy of the folks driving their cars while drinking their coffee, eating their donuts, talking/texting on the phone and in one multiple death case, putting on eyeliner. These I have no control over so I take my chances on the MUPS.
I often see cyclists, on road bikes, riding along at 20-25 mph. I often think how easily they or someone else can be injured because they are simply going to fast for the conditions and everyone else has rectal/cranial inversion.

Have to be careful and drive defensively, car, bike, motorcycle,skate board...etc.....
Old 06-19-14, 12:27 PM
VACaver

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, a MTN bike, and a road bike gathering dust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dachshund
What's a good solution to the lane hogs? It seems like common sense to pull into one lane when another cyclist approaches, but I'm constantly hitting the brakes or hugging the edge of 'my' lane while people are chatting away, taking up most of the path. I almost got clobbered by someone jumping out to pass a long line of cyclists. The offenders are always kitted up, so they should know better.

Riding the Roanoke Greenway last evening, I came upon four folks, walking abreast, heading towards me. The two that were in "my lane" looked at me as I approached and made no effort whatsoever to move over and give me room to pass them. Even as I veered into the grass to get by, they simply looked at me and didn't budge.
Old 06-19-14, 01:25 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VACaver
Riding the Roanoke Greenway last evening, I came upon four folks, walking abreast, heading towards me. The two that were in "my lane" looked at me as I approached and made no effort whatsoever to move over and give me room to pass them. Even as I veered into the grass to get by, they simply looked at me and didn't budge.
Not courteous certainly. But most likely legal.

Good reason to ride very slowly on MUP.
Old 06-19-14, 01:57 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I get the Zax treatment myself occasionally.

On my better days, I try to view it as another facet of dealing with a cross section of humanity ... some of them are clueless, selfish, or both.

Old 06-19-14, 06:56 PM
AerobaticDreams

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I increasingly simply avoid the local MUP. Too many stop signs to get a steady cadence going. Too many people of all sorts not paying attention and too many times I have been the one who was nearly the victim as a result of others actions. Of course, the second you head to a quiet country road somewhere, some idiot screams "Get off the road and go find a bike path!" at you....
Old 06-19-14, 07:11 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
I think they are at least just as dangerous..

I avoid certain parts of my local bike paths that have a lot of foot traffic.. Many times saying 'on your left' simply makes the people step to their left and right in front of you..

I've had almost as many accidents on bike paths as I have had on the road..

People don't bother reading the rules of the bike path, even though here at least, there are signs posted every so often.

Bike path dangers:
1) Clueless walkers
2) Clueless walkers with dogs
3) Clueless walkers with dogs who are not on a leash
4) A group of clueless walkers spread out and taking up the entire pathway
5) Parents who don't control or watch their children
6) Skateboarders with headphones in swerving all over the pathway..
7) Crazy freaking squirrels who want to try and jump through your spokes.

I can go on and on but you get the idea.. I really do not like taking any of the bike paths locally.. Some areas of the bike paths are further out and have less foot traffic..
Closest bike trail to me is 25 miles away and I have experienced everything you listed in the past year just riding the streets of the village I live and it only has a population of 1,000! OK, my "skateboarder" was actually an overweight 14 year old on an adult tricycle with bent wheels but he was just as annoying and more dangerous. We've also had a population explosion of squirrels so they have been a real problem, you aren't kidding about them trying to jump through the spokes either!!!!
Old 06-20-14, 07:36 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just back from a very nice walk along the river on a trail/sidewalk combo that is also designated as a bike route. There were two of us walking side by side enjoying our lattes and chatting between ourselves and others on the path.

First bike came up behind us and said "beep, beep". From the tone it was very close. We ducked just in time for a road bike and rider to come steaming past on the right. Fortunately my companion had moved left so no collision.

Second was a pair of bikes coming from behind. A distance back one rider said "like to pass on the left". Then they slowly passed us on the left waving and smiling as they did. Both were on city bikes. Absolutely safe and courteous for all four of us.

What a contrast. And it all rotated around communication and courtesy.
Old 06-20-14, 08:37 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One vote for bike paths are safer. Not without danger tape ask,times, obviously.
Old 06-20-14, 10:44 PM
AerobaticDreams

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Just back from a very nice walk along the river on a trail/sidewalk combo that is also designated as a bike route. ....

What a contrast. And it all rotated around communication and courtesy.
Not sure how you heard them to communicate with them while your iPods were jammed in your ears and turned all the way up.....
Old 06-21-14, 01:49 PM
Wogster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VACaver
That's when you want to say something that involves the liberal use of colourful metaphors.
Old 06-21-14, 02:03 PM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
That's when you want to say something that involves the liberal use of colourful metaphors.
I would simply stop in front of them and wait for them to move around me. I would hold my line stopped
Old 06-21-14, 02:21 PM
nondes 
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts

We must be riding in different parts of Toronto Wogster - the limit on the Don Valley Trail was recently lowered from 20 to 15 kph, it's 15 with speed bumps on the road - width trail on the Leslie Street Spit, and 10 kph through Mount Pleasant Cemetery. That would feel like riding backwards. These routes are all pretty quiet if you get out early in the morning - I confess to exceeding these limits most of the time and I have never been stopped. Some of our trails separate pedestrians from cyclists and that works pretty well.

When you live in the inner part of a large city it's difficult to get an enjoyable ride unless you drive your bike out to the countryside. I make use of the trails for the most part but it's not ideal.
Old 06-21-14, 10:14 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AerobaticDreams
Not sure how you heard them to communicate with them while your iPods were jammed in your ears and turned all the way up.....
Please don't mistake your reflection in the mirror as reality for anyone else.
Old 06-22-14, 05:54 AM
Wogster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nondes

We must be riding in different parts of Toronto Wogster - the limit on the Don Valley Trail was recently lowered from 20 to 15 kph, it's 15 with speed bumps on the road - width trail on the Leslie Street Spit, and 10 kph through Mount Pleasant Cemetery. That would feel like riding backwards. These routes are all pretty quiet if you get out early in the morning - I confess to exceeding these limits most of the time and I have never been stopped. Some of our trails separate pedestrians from cyclists and that works pretty well.

When you live in the inner part of a large city it's difficult to get an enjoyable ride unless you drive your bike out to the countryside. I make use of the trails for the most part but it's not ideal.
We are, I do most of my riding in the North End..... I can see the limit for the cemetery, it's intended as a quiet place for the families of the "residents", not as a roadie drag racing strip. As with most speed limits, they set it at 15km/h in the hopes that people don't go much past 20km/h. However I would like to see the city lower it's general motor vehicle speed limit to 40, and 30 in school zones. because there might be a chance that folks wouldn't be going 60 in a school zone....
Old 06-22-14, 09:03 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
YES

Today I guy crashed because someone decided to make a u turn on the path without any warning. He swerved and went over the handle bars. Luckily he wasn't hurt but his left 105 shifter was damaged.
Old 06-23-14, 03:16 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cyclist drove past the sign and under the overpass at 15 mph today. Luckily no one was coming the other direction.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0476A.jpg (95.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0478A.jpg (99.9 KB, 5 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.