Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pannier for WET gear?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pannier for WET gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 07:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier65

I suppose I could just buy a dirt cheap front pannier bag and poke tons of holes in it...
Buy a cheap, dirt pannier bag instead. Poke holes in it and the water will drain right out.

I hear an accordion playing. I’m out.​​​​​​.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-01-23, 08:21 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Xavier, you seem to be complicating things more than you need to. Strapping or bungeeing damp rain gear to top of rack works well, and if the sun comes out, they dry pretty quickly.

I'll repeat, what has always worked for me is keeping my rain gear in a front pannier with my cooking kit, so putting damp rain gear into a plastic bag in this pannier isn't a big deal.
And strapping stuff onto the rear rack dries fairly quickly. Open then up and hang on the bike in the sun when you take a break, et voila.
Bonne chance avec ton dileme.
Old 05-02-23, 09:38 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
Cotton duck panniers, sturdy and water resistant, doesn't trap water inside.

https://carradice.co.uk/shop/pannier...v=7516fd43adaa
Old 05-02-23, 10:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
Xavier, you seem to be complicating things more than you need to. Strapping or bungeeing damp rain gear to top of rack works well, and if the sun comes out, they dry pretty quickly.

I'll repeat, what has always worked for me is keeping my rain gear in a front pannier with my cooking kit, so putting damp rain gear into a plastic bag in this pannier isn't a big deal.
And strapping stuff onto the rear rack dries fairly quickly. Open then up and hang on the bike in the sun when you take a break, et voila.
Bonne chance avec ton dileme.
I don’t think he wants to learn from the experience here. Iggy list has been updated.
Old 05-02-23, 11:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
After getting drenched and if the sun comes out, I like to take my shoes and socks off and rest in the sun. I put the insoles, socks and shoes on the pavement in direct sunlight. In many climates, that does not take long. At a minimum, the wrinkles in my feet "dissipate". I seem to recall stopping in places for food and alcohol when my junk dried or at least when I used to imbibe. Best to have lots of alternatives.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-02-23, 11:38 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
After getting drenched and if the sun comes out, I like to take my shoes and socks off and rest in the sun. I put the insoles, socks and shoes on the pavement in direct sunlight. In many climates, that does not take long. At a minimum, the wrinkles in my feet "dissipate". I seem to recall stopping in places for food and alcohol when my junk dried or at least when I used to imbibe. Best to have lots of alternatives.
One time, my rain pants and “junk” were still so wet when I stopped for a burger that I brought my towel into the restaurant to sit on.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-02-23, 04:16 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I did previously reply to say thanks to everyone, but I must have missed the warning about 5 messages per day, so it didn't get posted.
Old 05-02-23, 11:03 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
A rain jacket that does not wet out is another helpful thing.
Yeah I am sold on the virtues of Shakedry. Even after a pretty persistent shower you can literally can just shake it off, roll it back into its pouch, and put it away.
Likes For ericoseveins:
Old 05-03-23, 05:25 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by ericoseveins
Yeah I am sold on the virtues of Shakedry. Even after a pretty persistent shower you can literally can just shake it off, roll it back into its pouch, and put it away.
I understand shakedry might be hard to find soon, Gore is discontinuing due to ESG problems or something like that (PFC?). I got mine about 5-6 years ago on sale for $180 and is probably the best piece of kit I have even owned but I use it infrequently to protect. My ancient ShowersPass gets stuck into the bag for daily use.
Old 05-03-23, 05:32 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by indyfabz
One time, my rain pants and “junk” were still so wet when I stopped for a burger that I brought my towel into the restaurant to sit on.
I went into a WaWa convenience store recently and stripped down in the stall, Wrung my clothes out over the toilet and wiped myself dry with paper towels. If one's derriere is up to it, padless cycling shorts have some virtue in their ability to dry quickly. I usually wash my one spare cycling shorts and bungie them to the rear inside out with the pad facing the Sun.

SOme years ago, I was touring in Colorado and a late season snow storm got me. I stopped at a roadside mom and pop restaurant. I feared my wet and snow encrusted corpse would be turned away. She immediately said, "you poor thing, lets get you to the fire. They got me wool blanket and the fire was awesome and IIRC, they fed me right there. Usually I am pretty timid going into a decent place when wet. WaWa or Sheetz or the such? No problemo.
Old 05-03-23, 08:58 AM
indyfabz

I went into a WaWa convenience store recently and stripped down in the stall, Wrung my clothes out over the toilet and wiped myself dry with paper towels. If one's derriere is up to it, padless cycling shorts have some virtue in their ability to dry quickly. I usually wash my one spare cycling shorts and bungie them to the rear inside out with the pad facing the Sun.

SOme years ago, I was touring in Colorado and a late season snow storm got me. I stopped at a roadside mom and pop restaurant. I feared my wet and snow encrusted corpse would be turned away. She immediately said, "you poor thing, lets get you to the fire. They got me wool blanket and the fire was awesome and IIRC, they fed me right there. Usually I am pretty timid going into a decent place when wet. WaWa or Sheetz or the such? No problemo.
Perfect example of why I try to avoid stalls at Wawa.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-23, 09:13 AM
djb

Perfect example of why I try to avoid stalls at Wawa.
No clue what a Wawa restaurant is, but I can tell you that there is a town named Wawa, Ontario (a province in Canada, kind of like a state)
Old 05-03-23, 09:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
No clue what a Wawa restaurant is, but I can tell you that there is a town named Wawa, Ontario (a province in Canada, kind of like a state)
It’s a very popular chain of convenience stores mostly located in mid-Atlantic states. It originated in Wawa, PA. When I drive 16 miles from my house to my NJ office I pass 3. They are actually very good cycling stops. Free ice and water. A huge variety of snacks and drinks as well as pre-made and made-to-order food, such as hoagies. They even have fresh fruit. They also have PNC Bank ATMs. PNC Bank is big in PA and NJ, among other places.

Wawa is a place where people hold the door for you then nearly run you over in the parking lot.

I have a friend who recently left our company to become a senior paralegal in their corporate headquarters. Good place to work, and they have Wawa food in the cafeteria.
Old 05-03-23, 09:43 AM
djb

Funny, Wawa, Pennsylvania and Wawa, Ontario.
perhaps it's a town name in Poland or something.
Thanks
Old 05-03-23, 10:24 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
very complicated question, since the market offers 1000 different 100% waterproofed panniers.

but there is a easy answer: Ortlieb, not only for their waterproof system, also for their how you fix their panniers system!

all other people are "artists" compared to Ortlieb.
Old 05-03-23, 10:52 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I did a tour where it rained five of the seven days. Our bikes looked like rolling clothes lines.
Old 05-03-23, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
Funny, Wawa, Pennsylvania and Wawa, Ontario.
perhaps it's a town name in Poland or something.
Thanks
Actually, Wawa is Ojibwa for wild goose. The store chain has a goose in its logo.

You’re not familiar with this in North Ontario?:

https://northernontario.travel/algom...ous-wawa-goose

Neil Young’s “Helpless” mentions the giant geese in North Ontario, where he is from. “Big birds flying across the sky. They were throwing shadows on our eyes.”

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-03-23 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-03-23, 11:36 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My Ortlieb Frontloader panniers have a strap that goes over the top. I use that strap to stow my rain gear on top of my front panniers, both before and after the rain.

But almost nobody else does that.
That's what I do with my Backroller Classics as well as my Axiom trunk bag! And, since I frequently forget to bring rain gear even on local rides, and find myself wet, it happens a lot.
Old 05-03-23, 03:22 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

The Grocery Bag Pannier, with optional mesh hood, seems to be close to the sort of thing I was expecting:

https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP
Old 05-03-23, 03:30 PM
djb

Actually, Wawa is Ojibwa for wild goose. The store chain has a goose in its logo.
You’re not familiar with this in North Ontario?:
https://northernontario.travel/algom...ous-wawa-goose

Neil Young’s “Helpless” mentions the giant geese in North Ontario, where he is from. “Big birds flying across the sky. They were throwing shadows on our eyes.”
I have a vague feeling that this has come up here before, but I have forgotten.
Yes, I have driven through Wawa and somewhere have a photo of the giant goose, from nearly 30 yrs ago.

and that N Young song is one of the best Canadian songs, in fact I am now going to listen to it, havent heard it in ages.
Old 05-03-23, 04:01 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb

and that N Young song is one of the best Canadian songs, in fact I am now going to listen to it, havent heard it in ages.
He sang it in The Lat Waltz, which is a great concert film about The Band’s lat performance. (Joni Mitchell accompanies him.) During a closeup near the end of the song you can clearly see a small chunk of cocaine is some of his nose hairs.
Old 05-03-23, 06:17 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Another solution to the wet clothing issue could be to procure a rolling clothes cart and rig it up to your bike like a trailer, so you can air dry your duds by letting them flap in the breeze.

Old 05-04-23, 12:44 AM
Xavier65

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Another solution to the wet clothing issue could be to procure a rolling clothes cart and rig it up to your bike like a trailer, so you can air dry your duds by letting them flap in the breeze.
I think it needs bigger wheels, but I like your thinking.