Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How much air should my tube lose?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How much air should my tube lose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 09:16 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I gave the units used, not how much of each. The volume doesn't enter in to the rate of permeation, just the area and thickness, though the pressure loss that represents depends on volume.

If that were true I could just not-patch a punctured tube, rotate the tire around a bit, then inflate it. Air presses up against the tube pretty tightly but not so tightly that air molecules can't move between them.
cm^3 might even cancel out once divided by area and thickness so ok.

You'd have to get the tube to full pressure instantly for your example to be a test of this hypothesis. Air will always escape easily from an uninflated tube inside a tyre. Also it only reduces the rate, doesn’t stop it. How often do you want to re-inflate it?

Last edited by choddo; 10-13-23 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-13-23, 02:52 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
You'd have to get the tube to full pressure instantly for your example to be a test of this hypothesis. Air will always escape easily from an uninflated tube inside a tyre.
I have often inflated tubes with punctures to 100 psi. They lose all that pressure in a few hours, not 40 days, as they would through permation through the tube alone.
Old 10-13-23, 03:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
maybe you could soak the tube in a tubeless sealant bath to reduce the time to which it losses air?
Old 10-13-23, 03:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
I'm sorry to seem like an adzhole here, but, what is the point of this thread???

The OP offers a calculation whose results match his actual experience, then invites debate. About what?

He mentions that he might be wrong and wants to learn. But he argues with every response.

Later he mentions getting frequent punctures, but that has no relevance to his original question.

Please OP, spare us the runaround, what EXACTLY are you trying to figure out?

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-13-23 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-13-23, 05:25 PM
choddo

Actually, forget I said anything.

Last edited by choddo; 10-13-23 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-14-23, 12:29 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by FBinNY
what is the point of this thread???
The OP offers a calculation whose results match his actual experience, then invites debate. About what?
Whether I have made any mistakes. Someone else could have made the same calculation I did, figured out how s/he had made an error. Rarely does experience match theoretical calculations. I know my tubes have non-uniform thickness because they bulge differentially when I inflate them to search for leaks. Because thickness is in the denominator, an average doesn't capture experience. Responders had a wide variety of air loss, which was useful.

He mentions that he might be wrong and wants to learn. But he argues with every response.
It's a forum: a place for argument. Have you not read Plato? Some responses were so different from my experience I responded with argument. Can you not inflate a tube with a small puncture to 100 psi (inside a mounted tire, of course) and have it lose air much faster than permeation? Do tubes seal to tires when inflated, block movement of air out of the tube other than permeating the tire?

Later he mentions getting frequent punctures, but that has no relevance to his original question.
It related to some responses.

Please OP, spare us the runaround, what EXACTLY are you trying to figure out?
Nothing. I asked in case someone had made a similar calculation.

Originally Posted by choddo
Actually, forget I said anything.
You have to think of that first.

Originally Posted by Troul
maybe you could soak the tube in a tubeless sealant bath to reduce the time to which it losses air?
I wasn't asking how to reduce air loss, doubt this would work.
Old 10-14-23, 01:15 PM
choddo

I didn’t mean forget I said anything at all. It wasn’t some sort of admission I was wrong so your “should have thought of that first” is not the first time you’ve misinterpreted what anyone outside your own head is saying.

I meant anything which I had written in that last post, because I decided you aren’t willing to listen so I’m not going to waste any more of my time or yours so edited it out.
Old 10-14-23, 10:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
i doubt your doubts that in doubt it could be an experiment.
Old 10-21-23, 01:13 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I calculated the permeability of my tubes to air, and the numbers seem high. Do you see something wrong with my calculation? I measure my 700x28 tube to have a radius of 1 cm, a thickness of 1 mm, a toroidal radius 33 cm, thus has an area of about 1200 cm^2, a volume of about 600 cm^3. Air is permeable to butyl rubber at 2×10^-9 in units of cm, atmospheres, and seconds. (I rounded all these numbers.) I inflate my tires to 7 atmospheres. From this I calculate that it should lose about 2.5 psi/day, 18/week, which seems like a lot - though it is my experience.
Are you the tight headset guy?
Old 03-26-24, 09:59 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by ign1te
Are you the tight headset guy?
No.