Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this a stress crack?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this a stress crack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 10:48 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Is this a stress crack?

Found this scratch or crack near the crown of the carbon fork of my 2000 Bianchi Veloce. My better judgement tell me "don't ride this. Get the fork replaced". But I don't know what I am really looking at.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P4180237.jpg (49.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 04-18-15, 11:06 PM
Lonesome rider

Bikes: Olmo Sanremo, Romet Laser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks dangerous. Don't ride until you find replacement. Such crack in paint layer indicates the zone underneath it went through a huge amount of stress, the fork could have lost its integrity. You could hit a pothole and that may caused the crack to appear. By riding further continuous micro-strikes may cause the crack to progress.

Last edited by Lonesome rider; 04-18-15 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-18-15, 11:23 PM
Jamminatrix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
With the front wheel removed try and pull the fork dropouts apart manually while observing the hairline. Does the hairline expand any when doing so? Did it get longer? Does it creak or make noise? What if you manually press on the hairline itself with fingers?

I believe the fork on this model has an aluminum steerer tube, no? This would be were the carbon weave starts meeting the aluminum crown.

It could be just a paint crack, but if you are unsure, do not risk it. Any reputable shop should help point you in the right direction. Perhaps most importantly, if it seems to get bigger, do not ride it at all (really shouldn't ride it anyway if you are unsure).
Old 04-18-15, 11:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Yes, no or maybe. It is a stress crack, but it's right about where blades and crowns are joined. It isn't rare to see some flex there and a crack form in the surface layer that doesn't affect the structure itself.

I tend to be conservative where forks are concerned since the consequences of a structure failure there are about as bad as possible. But there's a very good chance it could be OK. It would take a more detailed examination to make a reasonable assessment. So either have someone competent look at it, or err to he side of safety by replacing it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-19-15, 12:16 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
It could be a crack, but without a hands on look, it's hard to tell. As some suggested, you could try and spread the fork to see if it expands. Typically, with carbon, you can tap with a small metal tool and it will have a distinctively dull sound at the spot of a crack, but that might be harder to tell at the crown of a fork that tends to be pretty thick in general.

One possibility is that a piece of debris could have gotten caught in the spokes and struck the fork at that spot, which may or may not cause a crack, but you probably would have heard such a load event. Possibly, it could just be a really deep scratch from something getting caught in the spokes and scraping across.
Old 04-19-15, 03:49 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
If I understand the gist of this problem here, we have a dilemma whether this is a scratch or a crack. Would it not be simple enough to find out by means of a very thin blade jammed into the crack - or scratch, as it may be? To me this seems like a very simple experiment to do, but I have easy access to scalpels. However, a razor blade will do just as well in a pinch. I also have a hand-held microscope with LED light which is suitable for inspection of this feature.
I should add that, were this my fork I would not hesitate to scratch away the paint from a small portion of the feature in order to ascertain whether it's a crack.
Old 04-19-15, 09:16 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll take it to have a professional look at it.
Old 04-19-15, 09:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
May be where the Aluminum fork crown core ends and the Carbon blade end begins..

Got 10+ years of use Out Of It .... buy a New Fork.
Old 04-19-15, 10:15 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The two easiest NDIs of composites are a tap test and shining a strong light on the suspected crack.

Tap with a nickle lightly and see if there is any discernible difference in the sound from the other side. Cracks go thunk, OK goes click.

If you shine a light on it, a crack will not reflect light out of the bottom of the crack. A scratch will.

Also you can flex it gently and see if it widens.

From the photo, it looks like a scratch, maybe something picked up by your wheel briefly like a small branch.