Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant TCR Pro Disk 1 - which accessories?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 02:37 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Hi all!

New to forum and getting back into cycling. (More of a runner, but dealing with injury. Used to cycle back in my early 20s, now 37.)

Just bought the above bike and awaiting delivery. Few questions re. accessories…

1) Do people still use cycling computers? Ie. “dashboard” mounted. Or is it mostly watches these days?

2) This bike comes with a power output monitor. Will it be compatible with only specific cycling computers/watches? I’ll likely upgrade my Garmin235 to something more cycling appropriate, but still Garmin.

3) Will it just be best to stick to Giant accessories or will most brands work?

4) What, if anything, would you suggest carrying in way of a repair kit? I understand tubeless tyres are less likely to puncture, but not infallible. What are the essentials?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-21, 06:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yes, people use computers. If you're comfortable with, and already within the Garmin ecosystem, I'd look at an Edge 530 or the 830, which is very similar to the 530 but adds a touchscreen.

Your power meter likely broadcasts in both ANT+ and BT - it'll be compatible with the above computers.

My tubeless flat kit is the same as my tubed flat kit, I just don't have to use it nearly as often: spare tube, a couple patches, a pump (some prefer CO2), and tire lever. The only additions are a few plugs ("bacon strips" in my case) and a tool to insert them.

I can't think of any reasons to stick within Giant accessories except for anything that'll go over the steerer tube, like a new stem or possibly a computer mount; Giant uses an oversized steerer that's larger than the industry standard.
Old 09-03-21, 08:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Let your experiences cycling in the areas you want to ride tell you what you need.
Old 09-04-21, 07:56 AM
Cramic

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes, people use computers. If you're comfortable with, and already within the Garmin ecosystem, I'd look at an Edge 530 or the 830, which is very similar to the 530 but adds a touchscreen.

Your power meter likely broadcasts in both ANT+ and BT - it'll be compatible with the above computers.

My tubeless flat kit is the same as my tubed flat kit, I just don't have to use it nearly as often: spare tube, a couple patches, a pump (some prefer CO2), and tire lever. The only additions are a few plugs ("bacon strips" in my case) and a tool to insert them.

I can't think of any reasons to stick within Giant accessories except for anything that'll go over the steerer tube, like a new stem or possibly a computer mount; Giant uses an oversized steerer that's larger than the industry standard.

Thanks! Great points, very informative.
Old 09-04-21, 07:58 AM
Cramic

Sage advice I think. Been thinking similarly, e.g. not rushing out to buy accessories. For example, going into summer here and don't suspect I'll need lights for a little while. Also probably won't be riding long enough to need hydration so will forego a bottle for the moment.
Old 09-04-21, 08:46 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Sage advice I think. Been thinking similarly, e.g. not rushing out to buy accessories. For example, going into summer here and don't suspect I'll need lights for a little while. Also probably won't be riding long enough to need hydration so will forego a bottle for the moment.
If summer is coming you need a bottle and a cage to hold it. This need not be expensive, but it is essential
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-04-21, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Also probably won't be riding long enough to need hydration so will forego a bottle for the moment.
IMO, if you ride more than 20 minutes you need to be drinking some fluid. Even in the cold of winter and especially on any warm to hot day.

I drink not quite a liter every hour I ride.
Likes For Iride01: