Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DI2 Not shifting (although trying) to shift into Small Front Ring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22, 02:01 PM
nickc3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, some background - for the past month+, I noticed the FD DI2 was making an odd noise when shifting. It shifted fine from Big to Small and vice versa, but it sounded "weak". Battery fully charged. It jus sounded louder than usual, and like it was struggling, but it shifted OK, albeit maybe a little slower than normal.

Yesterday, it suddenly stopped being able to shift into Small Ring....the derailleur moves, but doesn't seem far enough, chain never shifts into small ring....and then it adjusts back to the Big Ring position. And, now and then, just doesn't even move.

I tried resetting crash mode (holding for 5 seconds). Also unplugged battery and replugged. No difference. Derailler doesn't seems to be loose. I did drop the chain and the chain got stuck and I Had to really force it out. I may have maybe jostled the derailler. HOwevr, this didn't start immediately after that - it was the next day.

Any ideas. This is a dura-ace, I believe 9070 from 2013. Maybe battery is weak? Maybe the FD is just going bad or went bad? Or maybe when I dropped chain, something got misaligned. I've tuned up Rear Gears, but never FD. No idea where to start or what to do. Of course, I can take to LBS, but any ideas before I spend time drivng there and losing my bike for a week, would like to give a few tries. The RD works fine.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or pointers....
Old 08-20-22, 02:46 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
My guess is someone has actuated the shifter a bunch of times w/ the bike stationary. This will damage or break the linkage. Of course it's impossible to say w/o seeing it.
Old 08-20-22, 06:32 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
My guess is someone has actuated the shifter a bunch of times w/ the bike stationary. This will damage or break the linkage. Of course it's impossible to say w/o seeing it.
No one has touched it...so must be something else.
Old 08-20-22, 07:58 PM
cxwrench

You could call Shimano and see what they think. The chain drop might have damaged something. It doesn't sound like something that you'd nail down by plugging it into eTube.
Old 08-22-22, 09:09 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Low battery mode is to shut down the FD first. Although your battery is charged it may not be up to snuff. No easy way
to check apart from putting a load on the battery and watching the voltage versus load. You could download the
e-tube software from Shimano and use it to assess the functioning of everything in the Di2 system but if you have
an external battery you would need a USB to Shimano plug Di2 plug cable to interface. The internal battery
systems have a USB port.
Old 08-23-22, 11:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by nickc3
No one has touched it...so must be something else.
Don't be offended by the suggestion and don't rule it out altogether. When I first got my Di2 bike I was accidentally shifting the bike when it was stationary and particularly anytime I moved it around by hand or when leaning it on something.

And if young curious children are in the picture. Don't underestimate how much they might play with things when left alone and unseen.
Old 08-29-22, 01:27 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
And if this is the case, how do you fix?
Old 08-29-22, 01:28 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I connected it to eTube software, and it says there iis an error on FD. Rear was fine. Updated the Firmware....no change. When I do an Error Fix, says it can't due to the connectin I have. I am connewcting via USB
Old 08-29-22, 01:28 PM
nickc3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do FD DI2s die? Is it a safe bet to just go ahead and spend th $200+ to get a preowned one and swap it out.?
Old 08-29-22, 04:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Since you say that etube shows a component error, I'd probably go to the bike shop and get their opinion of what it requires to fix. Or you can play a game of chance and just order random stuff in hopes you spend less doing that than paying someone that should know.

Especially since you are now telling us of a possible issue that doesn't seem as if it should be related to the first issue.
Old 08-29-22, 04:41 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by nickc3
And if this is the case, how do you fix?
You don't, you buy a new one.