Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring on a Domane AL 3/misc questions as a newbie

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring on a Domane AL 3/misc questions as a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 09:09 PM
07ale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Touring on a Domane AL 3/age

I, recently, got a Trek Domane AL 3, though I have not had the chance to use it to a significant extent, with school and all keeping me quite busy. I did not originally tend to buy a bike for touring, though I am fascinated by the prospects. The listed max width of tires, at least with fenders, is 32mm. My concern is that this could be too thin.
What can I do with a bike like this? Without a proper touring bike, I would suspect it would be more challenging to go further/comfortably/less paved; some concept of limitations in what surfaces I am limited to would be much appreciated ahead of time.
How much of my concern is valid? I think I may be worrying too much that I simply can not tour comfortably/without 'credit card touring'. I don't expect to be able to do a month in the middle of nowhere, though I believe I could pull off an overnight. But how much longer could I go? Could I pull off 5-7 days, stopping for food/water?
Is there anything I'm missing? I won't post the litany of questions that I feel could be found fairly easily elsewhere; I would greatly appreciate details regarding anything concerning this bike which I may not even notice.

I'm 16, and live in America(eastern Massachusetts). My parents are in full support. The bike's the same, so are the roads. I don't see any roadblocks(aside from potentially finding a hotel) which probably means there is something I am missing.
Old 04-07-23, 09:38 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
When I was in college I toured on an entry level giant road bike that could accept a rack, the panniers had a corner cut-out so my heel wouldn't hit them. That bike could take 30c tires but I toured on 25c, seemed like a nice upgrade from the 20c tires I raced on. Had no trouble riding across multiple countries. Also did a tour on a DeRosa that would only take 25c as the widest tire possible and again, crossed several countries and only had trouble when I had to ride cobblestones. 32c was a common touring tire and should work just fine on any roads and most gravel trails or rail trails, wouldn't think they'd be a real limiting factor at all. The Domane probably has longer stays than both of them, if it can take a rack you'll do fine but test that your heels clear the panniers, get a dry sack for the sleeping bag and toss it and a tent on the top of the rack, some clothes and canmping essentials in the bags and go have fun.
You will need to stop for water, but food will depend on what and how much you want to carry. I keep some freeze dried meals which pack easy on the chance I can't find a place to eat before camping but even a dozen of those won't take much space if you want to carry food, but you should break them up with other things or they can make you sick, especially if you don't thoroughly rehydrate them. But stopping for fruit and carbs along the way as you get water is also advisable.