Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best route to cycle from NYC to SF :)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best route to cycle from NYC to SF :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 09:50 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did he write that? Maybe he isn’t working. My first tour started at the start of what ended up being a two-year break from the working world. Ended up taking three extended trips that totaled 10,000 miles. Then I got my former job back.

These days, I get 5 weeks of paid vacation and 11 paid holidays.
During your two-years-not-working bike tour, did you also light a fire under your ass in order to average 140km (87 miles) per day with zero rest days? That's some applaudable self-motivation, I'll admit.
Old 04-14-23, 01:02 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
In my 30s, I could regularly do 80+ miles per day - sometimes nudging a century.
Fully loaded, will all the camping gear & stuff.
30 years later, I can't do as many miles for some reason.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 04-14-23, 01:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
During your two-years-not-working bike tour, did you also light a fire under your ass in order to average 140km (87 miles) per day with zero rest days? That's some applaudable self-motivation, I'll admit.
No, but that wasn’t my point. Not even close. But I did experience touring and camping and camp cooking, which were all new to me. Took one 62 mile fully loaded day ride before the trip started and practiced pitching the tent in the living room. Carried pounds of film camera equipment and supplies that 6,000 miles. Pulled right up to my front door and had to dig down in a pannier for my key. Quite gratifying, but it wasn’t over.Five days later I participated in a two-day, 150 mile charity ride that I had done the last seven years. Despite it being supported, I carried all my gear.
Old 04-14-23, 02:55 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Despite it being supported, I carried all my gear.
Well - - for some time, now, we've suspected you were a little nutz.
But I'd do the same thing.
Old 04-14-23, 04:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I know this is not one of your 3 options but you could consider going as far north as possible (think ACA northern tier and similar routes) and taking the train at the end of the ride to get to San Francisco.
New York City to Chicago, Northern Tier to Minneapolis, Badlands/Black Hills/Devils Tower/Bighorns (Parks Peaks & Prairies) to Yellowstone (hey, Yellowstone has got to compensate for missing Yosemite!) and either Lewis&Clark or TransAm (scenery smackdown: what's your vote?) to the ocean.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...e-network-map/
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-14-23, 05:47 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Pulled right up to my front door and had to dig down in a pannier for my key.
One of the symbolic things I really like on an extended multiple month tour.

Normal life seems to accumulate a whole set of different keys, e.g. house keys, mailbox keys, office keys, vehicle keys, etc. Before going on a long tour, I've often slowly divested myself of those different keys until I only have one or two left. For example, get rid of the vehicle, turn in the office, have house sitters take the mailbox key, etc. It is symbolically nice to see that key ring shrink until I only have the one or two critical ones including say a residence key. Even that can be stored down deep in a pannier. Now while on tour, might occasionally get a key but they are more temporary, e.g. a motel room key.

I like symbolism of shedding multiple keys tied with complexities of my non-touring life as one aspect to know I really am on tour...
Likes For mev:
Old 04-14-23, 05:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I like symbolism of shedding multiple keys tied with complexities of my non-touring life as one aspect to know I really am on tour...
After I finished my third tour (Seattle to Cortez, CO) I did some car camping with my then girlfriend. The complexity of having so much stuff while camping was totally new to me. We even had a Scrabble game. It seemed like we were always searching the trunk for something we “needed” I found it burdensome.
Old 04-14-23, 05:59 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
In my 30s, I could regularly do 80+ miles per day - sometimes nudging a century.
Fully loaded, will all the camping gear & stuff.
30 years later, I can't do as many miles for some reason.
Yup. My first trip across the US was 40 days and 3610 miles so an average of 90 miles/day with 18 of those days over a century. Subtract off the few days at the end where I stopped in Boston before finishing in Maine and the 13 mile day on first evening and the core part of the trip was 3460 miles in 36 days or ~95 miles/day. I could do that at age 29 but can't do it now at double the age. The issue is less about average speed than about how many hours I enjoy riding in the saddle and how much I can repeat that day after day.

I've never been a fast rider, but at certain ages I could make repetitive long days throwing enough time at it. One does need to have the right mindset that this is actually the type of trip you are setting out to ride and expect to spend large portions of daylight hours riding.