Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dealing with exhaust fumes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 09:19 AM
Nd4speed

Bikes: Curent: Priority Continuum Onyx. Past: Trek 7250, Look 565 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
I started part time commuting to work and ironically the safest route for me so far has me riding in the bike lane right next to traffic. How do you guys deal with exhaust fumes? I've been thinking about one of those masks that you wear around your neck and just pull up over your nose. Looking for something that doesn't impair breathing too much if possible. Thanks.
Old 06-14-23, 08:26 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Nd4speed
Hi Guys,
I started part time commuting to work and ironically the safest route for me so far has me riding in the bike lane right next to traffic. How do you guys deal with exhaust fumes? I've been thinking about one of those masks that you wear around your neck and just pull up over your nose. Looking for something that doesn't impair breathing too much if possible. Thanks.
The mask you are considering will do absolutely nothing for exhaust fumes. Try google. You will find what you are looking for, but won't want to wear it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-14-23, 08:40 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Think in practical, common sense terms, my friend.
It's not like you're sucking on everyone's exhaust pipe.
Probably .02% fumes and 99.98% breathable air. It ain't gonna kill ya!

Last edited by roadcrankr; 06-16-23 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-14-23, 09:17 PM
MagnaRota

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
No, masks are useless. (OK I won't go there...) It's not likely to be harmful, it just stinks. Consider that vehicles are going to emit the most exhaust when they're taking off from a stop so maybe try staying away from them when they're stopped at a light if you can and if it's really unpleasant. Toll collectors experience that in their booths which is why they sometimes have a sign up asking you to take off slowly.
Likes For MagnaRota:
Old 06-15-23, 12:04 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Hi Guys,
Originally Posted by phughes
The mask you are considering will do absolutely nothing for exhaust fumes. Try google. You will find what you are looking for, but won't want to wear it.
Nd4speed ,

Check out 3M's recommendation for one common chemical gas contaminant in air that you'll typically find when walking or cycling next to a busy flow of motor vehicles. phughes is correct. You're not going to like what's necessary to actually protect against the gaseous fumes that come from vehicle exhaust.
Respirator Selection @ 3M:
For carbon monoxide:
> CAS# 630-08-0
> respirator type -- SA (supplied air)

Definitions (3M Respirator Selection Guide, p.96, PDF file):
> SA Supplied Air Respirator
>SA(F) Supplied air respirator w/ full facepiece, helmet, hood or loose-fitting facepiece

The "SA" (supplied air) type respirators are, um, big and ugly. They contain their own air supplies (think SCBA tanks or the units that firemen use on the job). This is what 3M deems required to satisfactorily guard against inhaling carbon monoxide. While some other masking options will catch at least some of the small airborne particulates present near roadways, little short of a SCBA system will catch the gaseous compounds you'll find there. In short, on a bike, either carry a SCBA or accept that you're going to be inhaling some crud you cannot otherwise avoid; else, don't be there.

My solution: ride/walk elsewhere, at venues and along routes where there is a minimum of contaminants I have to worry about. Best options are in wide-open spaces, places with some wind that takes much of the pollution away from me, etc.

Urban jungles are bad news for breathing uncontaminated air. And there isn't much a person can do about it. I wish there were.

That said, exhaust fumes are deadly dangerous. In sufficient amounts, it can absolutely kill you. And it won't take that long in a confined space for the nasty effects to begin. But, to this day, in more than five decades of cycling, I have yet to be faced with anything other than minor lung irritation as a result of cycling or walking along roadways for a couple of hour. Assuming, of course, those roadways are relatively lighter on the doses of airborne crud I have to suck in.
Old 06-15-23, 06:16 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Hi Guys,
A mask with activated charcoal filter can adsorb carbon monoxide and other parts of exhaust fumes.
Old 06-15-23, 09:16 AM
MagnaRota

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by anga
A mask with activated charcoal filter can adsorb carbon monoxide and other parts of exhaust fumes.
No, activated carbon will do no good at all against carbon monoxide! The only way to get rid of carbon monoxide is to burn it, and the only way to protect yourself from it in the air is an air tank like a fireman uses.
Old 06-15-23, 09:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
A mask with activated charcoal filter can adsorb carbon monoxide…
Not according to this company

Most notably, activated carbon filters will NOT filter carbon monoxide. This very dangerous gas is not impacted by activated carbon filters and other filtration measures will be needed for protection.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-15-23, 10:05 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by MagnaRota
…Consider that vehicles are going to emit the most exhaust when they're taking off from a stop so maybe try staying away from them when they're stopped at a light if you can and if it's really unpleasant. …
We can’t tell what your context is.

I commute on stroads in suburban area and I make moves to avoid packs of cars. At a red light I often pull over to let the pack go ahead. Though my objective is a safer situation, I’m also moving away from exhaust.
Old 06-15-23, 10:09 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I just hold my breath the entire ride. Kinda stoned when I get there, but, ah... what?
Old 06-15-23, 10:33 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by flangehead
Though my objective is a safer situation, I’m also moving away from exhaust.
No, you aren’t. A vehicle is a huge battering ram when it comes to air. When they move, they punch a huge hole in the air that causes the air to flow around them and mix in their wake. When they stop, the air they have shoved out of the way catches up to them and mixes any gases they produce with other parts of the atmosphere. The extent to which this mixing occurs depends on the speed of the cars, of course, but even for a relatively slow speed road, the air mixing is going to be 10s of feet from the side of the road.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-15-23, 11:06 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
… The extent to which this mixing occurs depends on the speed of the cars, of course, but even for a relatively slow speed road, the air mixing is going to be 10s of feet from the side of the road.
Agreed. Depends very much on situation and location.

In my area, I don’t sense much in the air other than large vehicles with low exhaust pipes Ike buses and delivery vans. Semi’s usually have above-cab exhausts.
Old 06-15-23, 12:48 PM
anga

Not according to this company
Yes, according tohttps://www.google.co.in/search?q=ac...arbon+monoxide
Old 06-15-23, 04:15 PM
cyccommute 

The first filter they show is 11L volume, made of metal, and likely weighs several pounds. It is hardly something that you can wear as a filter mask. The premise of the article is somewhat wrong, as well. Carbon monoxide poisoning does not come from sources outside of buildings. If carbon monoxide levels are high enough to incapacitate or kill the residents of a building, the source of the carbon monoxide comes from some source inside the building. There is essentially no filter that could handle that kind of problem because the level of CO is high enough to overwhelm the filter or it may not even past through the filter.

They show another filter from Bauer that doesn’t use activated carbon but uses a copper/manganese catalyst. But it doesn’t seem that the filter is for home use. It’s part of some kind of industrial air scrubber system.

Old 06-15-23, 04:44 PM
Nd4speed

Bikes: Curent: Priority Continuum Onyx. Past: Trek 7250, Look 565 Carbon

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Nd4speed ,
My solution: ride/walk elsewhere, at venues and along routes where there is a minimum of contaminants I have to worry about. Best options are in wide-open spaces, places with some wind that takes much of the pollution away from me, etc.
Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to budget more time and find a longer but cleaner route. Thanks.
Old 06-15-23, 11:32 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Think in practical, common sense terms, my friend.
It's not like you're sucking on everyone's exhaust pipe.
Probably .02% fumes and 99.98% oxygen. It ain't gonna kill ya!
Air is roughly 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. Because science.
Old 06-16-23, 03:23 AM
anga

The first filter they show is 11L volume, made of metal, and likely weighs several pounds. It is hardly something that you can wear as a filter mask. The premise of the article is somewhat wrong, as well. Carbon monoxide poisoning does not come from sources outside of buildings. If carbon monoxide levels are high enough to incapacitate or kill the residents of a building, the source of the carbon monoxide comes from some source inside the building. There is essentially no filter that could handle that kind of problem because the level of CO is high enough to overwhelm the filter or it may not even past through the filter.

They show another filter from Bauer that doesn’t use activated carbon but uses a copper/manganese catalyst. But it doesn’t seem that the filter is for home use. It’s part of some kind of industrial air scrubber system.
Selective quoting.
I am done debating.
Old 06-16-23, 07:52 AM
cyccommute 

Selective quoting.
I am done debating.
As opposed to your selective quoting? Look if a simple painter’s mask or even a respirator worked against CO, would we just use them to prevent CO deaths? I provided a link from a company that makes activated carbon filter masks and they said that activated carbon has no efficacy against carbon monoxide. You provided a link from a chef. Who you gonna believe?

Old 06-16-23, 12:34 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy
Air is roughly 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. Because science.
Fixed my original blurb, mister science guy.
Old 06-16-23, 07:55 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I never have yet heard of anyone dying of CO while outdoors. Maybe in some industrial setting it could happen. In the midcentury old days at my employer they had a guy die of hypoxia due to a nitrogen purge in a big facility. There's not much anyhow because engines operate near ideal mixture to mostly make water / CO2. Then, CO is one of the things converted in the catalytic converter. Which by the way is an amazing excellent invention we should all be thankful for.

An N95 mask is the minimum to filter particles you are breathing in, which is more reasonable to argue about. There is a nonmedical version (3M 8511) that filters only in, not out so it breathes a little easier. I researched this in consideration of buying a box for when it's fire season around here, ultimately decided to just drive. But merely for car exhaust? Anything better is a respirator with filter cans like they use for auto painting and for filming Breaking Bad
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-16-23 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 08:28 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I never have yet heard of anyone dying of CO while outdoors. Maybe in some industrial setting it could happen.
CO is just slightly lighter than air so it diffuses and gets diluted. A large release might result in an open air fatality but it would have to a whole lot. CO is more of a problem in enclosed spaces. I did work on a project where we were making very high concentrations of carbon monoxide through gasification of biomass which would probably have resulted in enough of a release of CO to cause a fatality in open air but that was thousands of cubic feet of syngas at about 60% concentration. It was also quite hot…500°C (950°F)…so your lungs would be toast before they had a chance to absorb any CO. In fact, we eroded an elbow on a transfer line (10” line) and the jet ignited into a 15’ jet of flame.

There's not much anyhow because engines operate near ideal mixture to mostly make water / CO2. Then, CO is one of the things converted in the catalytic converter. Which by the way is an amazing excellent invention we should all be thankful for.
I’ve been meaning to mention this but have been looking for actual numbers. Basically, it’s next to impossible to die of CO poisoning in a closed garage anymore because there is very little CO produced by modern engines. Even a tank of gas wouldn’t do it.
​​​​​​​An N95 mask is the minimum to filter particles you are breathing in, which is more reasonable to argue about. There is a nonmedical version (3M 8511) that filters only in, not out so it breathes a little easier. I researched this in consideration of buying a box for when it's fire season around here, ultimately decided to just drive. But merely for car exhaust? Anything better is a respirator with filter cans like they use for auto painting and for filming Breaking Bad
Even respirator filters aren’t all that effective against CO. There are some canisters that can work but they are larger and heavier than normal filters. Carbon monoxide is difficult because it is a permanent gas and permanent gases are hard to absorb onto anything. There are emergency breathing systems for mines that last about 4 hours but they don’t use activated charcoal.

Old 06-19-23, 11:37 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to budget more time and find a longer but cleaner route. Thanks.
Good idea. Nothing wrong with a longer ride.

And the bickering continues, even in your absence. Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 06-20-23, 08:55 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I never have yet heard of anyone dying of CO while outdoors. Maybe in some industrial setting it could happen. In the midcentury old days at my employer they had a guy die of hypoxia due to a nitrogen purge in a big facility. There's not much anyhow because engines operate near ideal mixture to mostly make water / CO2. Then, CO is one of the things converted in the catalytic converter. Which by the way is an amazing excellent invention we should all be thankful for.

An N95 mask is the minimum to filter particles you are breathing in, which is more reasonable to argue about. There is a nonmedical version (3M 8511) that filters only in, not out so it breathes a little easier. I researched this in consideration of buying a box for when it's fire season around here, ultimately decided to just drive. But merely for car exhaust? Anything better is a respirator with filter cans like they use for auto painting and for filming Breaking Bad
^ This.

The only thing you can reasonably filter out is the carbon soot in diesel exhaust.

Most diesels these days aren’t putting out a lot of soot with their traps.
Old 06-29-23, 04:45 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
The noxious pollution are a necessary evil for commuters in urban traffic. The Respro filters are FFP3 but there's leakage from the not so optimized seal. Still better than nothing. Older trucks and cars will pollute more. FFP3/N95-99 claims to filter NOx etc, but doesn't say how much, but like I said, better than nothing and at least it keeps the PM10+ out.