Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Total knee replacement

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Total knee replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 10:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by abicyclebum
I have heared horror stories, so I am afraid to get a replacement.
What kind of horror stories? I just had my replacement two weeks ago. But you know…they’ve really got this procedure refined now. Mine was done robotically, and I was out of the OR in less than two hours. Sure…the recovery hasn’t been the most fun thing I’ve gone through…but it’s going normally, and I hope to be back on the bike (outside, on the road) within a month or so. And, have a “closer-to-normal” functioned knee. I’m already allowed/able to get on the stationary bike. I was able to ride prior to the surgery…but anything else just resented a general pain/discomfort.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-07-23, 03:17 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Just back from PT - 115 degrees!!! Ditched the crutches, that's 1 week and a day.
Likes For laxpatrick:
Old 11-07-23, 06:34 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by abicyclebum
I am 74 and my right knee barely bends enough to ride a bike. It sucks. I have heared horror stories, so I am afraid to get a replacement. Good luck-
Even though I had complications with a revision on the second knee, I don't regret it. The knees themselves are doing great...even though I haven't been able to ride for almost a year now, it hasn't been because of the knees.
Old 11-07-23, 08:01 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Had mine done September 20th

I rode my bike gently last week for 6 miles, and this week 5 miles. It's worth mentioning I'm no longer a "roadie", I ride a cruiser 15 miles at most.

I had my right one done 12 years ago, the one just done was my left. I was discharged the next day with a nerve block. I was only given 2 weeks worth of pain meds this time, the last one I had meds for a couple months, although much reduced after the first couple months.

The actual knee pain didn't seem as bad this time, but I had horrible nerve pain at night, even my back hurt. Gabapentin helped a lot but nights were horrible until just recently. I'm weaning myself off the gabapentin now.

I only ride my bike around the familiar neighborhood because I don't want to risk a spill, getting on and off is the trickiest.

I'm 66 and retired this time, so I don't have to concern myself with work thank goodness. The biggest issue at this point, less than 2 months out, are stiffness and tendons snapping. If I concentrate on my gait this is lessened.

The present to myself for all this suffering is a folding bike! I've ordered a dahon vybe. I'm pretty excited about that.

Also, it's my understanding that revisions are far worse than replacements and I have no desire to go through this again so my riding is going to remain gentle and practical. I ride in ways that I used to consider beneath me, Also no more heavy squats, I think the weightlifting was more of a factor in the demise of my knees than the cycling I used to do.

Good luck to all who are going through this and Godspeed.
Likes For margoC:
Old 11-14-23, 07:25 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
hi guys, operation got postponed until jan 2, still in pain and can't wait, hoping for success and quick healing
Old 11-15-23, 06:16 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rob214
hi guys, operation got postponed until jan 2, still in pain and can't wait, hoping for success and quick healing
hang in there, I feel your pain. I’m scheduled for Feb 1 for the first surgery, on a cancellation list so hoping I can get this done sooner. Second one for late April. 🤞
Old 01-17-24, 08:55 PM
rob214

update, day 15 post op, doing well, using a cane, range of motion is pretty good. the first three days were painful but now I'm doing PT and making progress, no talk of going on the bike yet. my whole body needs to rebuild. I can see it going slow and steady to build confidence and my knee was so bad that I'm having to relearn how to properly walk.
Likes For rob214:
Old 01-18-24, 12:57 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
RTKR yesterday going well so far. Taking pain meds as prescrbed. First at home PT tomorrow and delivery of a ROM bike that aids rehab. Prescribed for three weeks of daily cycling rehab starting tomorrow!
Old 01-22-24, 04:35 PM
laxpatrick

Remarkable surgery. I think they had the tourniquet on for like 40 minutes? Robotic, super QUICK. I was off work for a week - I work in technology, remote and mostly Zooms.

Biggest challenge I had through the first 6-8 weeks was getting good sleep sans narcotics. I've had other surgeries with pain meds, but this one's a long haul - so while I've never had issues dropping the meds, this time was non-trivial. Got into a behavior cycle where I started to look forward to sleepytime with the meds. Bad situation.

Once I got cleared for NSAIDs, I switched to Ibuprofen and still use the Advil PM on about half of nights.

From here, PT - commit to it. It's gonna hurt but the progress should be satisfying. I'll be at 3 months Jan 30 - it's not been easy by any stretch and still not past the "wish I hadn't done this" hump but I feel like I'm getting close. Have patellar pain on effort, rebuilding your quad is the biggest challenge - it takes MONTHS. First century on May 4 - think I'm gonna make it...

Went back to "full" volunteer Fire and EMS on New Year's Eve. I mostly drive the truck, pump and tell other people what to do...

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-22-24, 08:19 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
How about 4*F and rode outside running errands?

Old 01-24-24, 09:15 AM
rob214

at PT yesterday I got on the stationary bike, I could only do half circles, I have little over 90 degree of bend and not totally straight. I still have lots of pain and pt really hurts but I'm working through it. did stretches and squats along with a bunch of other exercises. painful is the key word at this point. I'm not sleeping all night because of discomfort. I'm told I'm doing well and all is normal, a guy in pt with me is just a couple of weeks farther along and he tells me I'm doing about as well as he is, I know I shouldn't compare as we're all different.
Old 01-24-24, 10:19 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 67 Posts
I thought it was time for me to give s update as it will be two years in a few weeks. I had pain in my entire leg for two years before my knee replacement. That is all gone and i have no pain in leg or knee. I had a bad crack in one bone after surgery and could not walk on that leg for two weeks and i had sciatic pain at night so bad I did not sleep for months. I got no pt as walking was almost impossible. Yet at one month i forced my self to get on bike and ride. I found bike riding to be easy as it took weight off my leg. Doctor did not believe I was riding bike untill I showed him video on my phone. He said most bike riders do well after knee surgery. The knee was fine in a few weeks but muscles around it were sore for a long time ,maybe a year.. the one thing that changed a lot for the worse is my balance. It got much worse after surgery and it took over a year to get back getting on bike the old way. I had to lean against something to get on bike but that is no longer needed.
There seems to me to be two types of people. Some can work with pain and some who seem to be in pain all he time. I have always been able to put the pain to some place and hide it. I never let pain stop me from doing things that i wanted to do.
EddyR
Likes For EddyR:
Old 01-31-24, 06:18 AM
Jtmav

My turn

Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning starting with the left knee and the right is scheduled for April 25. I will keep you posted as my journey unfolds and I’m sure will have a few questions to the lucky few who are well passed the recovery. I figured with a couple of new knees I gifted myself with a full tune up of my bike at my LBS Just picked her up yesterday and can’t wait to get back out there. Hopefully my recovery and the weather here in Southern New England will overlap nicely. Prayers accepted.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 01-31-24, 07:02 AM
Drissel56

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I need to follow this thread, as I am scheduled for replacement on the right knee on March 4,. I thought about postponing it as I am losing weight and the knee doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not getting younger and sooner or later I will need it. so I guess I'll go ahead and get it done, I've been on a waiting list for 9 months, so who knows what it would be like if I postpone it. So I will be nervous and worried about recovery but my wife and daughter will help me out.
Old 02-01-24, 10:07 AM
laxpatrick

One observation having gone thru this. Before surgery, do EVERYTHING you can to strengthen the off leg. You will be relying on it for essential mobility for much longer than you may think. I'm three months out and still finding it challenging to rebuild the TKR leg - primarily quad weakness with patellar pain.
Old 02-02-24, 07:48 AM
Jtmav

Surgery went well yesterday, home the same day. Nerve block has worn off and the pain is manageable with meds, ice and elevation. Using crutches, instead of a walker. In home PT is visiting today. Sleep was fleeting, maybe 2 hours. Best to all.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 02-05-24, 06:28 AM
Jtmav

Quick update

It’s been 4 days since the surgery. I’ve been pretty much icing, resting and elevating my leg since I came home. Been taking my meds regularly and the pain relief every 4 hours. Have a bath chair so showered, which wasn’t bad at all. So far while it’s only been a few days the pain has been manageable, they prescribed a weeks worth of 5 mg of Oxycodone which I will finish on Wednesday and see how I do after that. PT is coming today as well.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 02-05-24, 06:59 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtmav
It’s been 4 days since the surgery. I’ve been pretty much icing, resting and elevating my leg since I came home. Been taking my meds regularly and the pain relief every 4 hours. Have a bath chair so showered, which wasn’t bad at all. So far while it’s only been a few days the pain has been manageable, they prescribed a weeks worth of 5 mg of Oxycodone which I will finish on Wednesday and see how I do after that. PT is coming today as well.
If you have a stationary bike, pedaling is good therapy. Minimal resistance at first, you're just working on range-of-motion. However, you'll find you can handle increased resistance sooner than you think. Don't be afraid to exercise, within reason.
Old 02-05-24, 07:38 AM
Jtmav

Don’t have one here and it maybe a bit premature. After next week I’ll be able to get back to OutPatient PT. They have a stationary bike there and my gym is close by as well. They have a good assortment of different stationary bikes I can use as well. Keep you posted as things unfold.
Old 02-05-24, 09:03 AM
Jtmav

Just had my first session with a new PT. 28 years old and we started talking about cycling. At 23 he cycled across the country for charity, Virginia to Oregon about 3 months. Did around 70miles a day and had a van full of support to help him. I guess I lucked out with this guy!
Old 02-06-24, 11:21 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
I'm a retired surgical tech.Done up to 5 in a day. Had both my knees replaced. PT is critical. Early motion makes a huge difference. There are studies that show nothing more then cycling, stationary and and road are better for rehab! SO, ride what you can. It'll be hard. But, that's what'll make it work. The one's that fail are usually because they won't work it in PT. Ya gotta move it to avoid adhesion's......
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 02-07-24, 06:10 AM
Jtmav

Seems like a common piece of advice I keep getting. I have in house PT for another 10 days and then outpatient. My outpatient has a stationary bike I can use. My gym is only 10 mins away and they have all types of bikes I can use and that is my plan to get on one and work towards a good result. I have a second one scheduled for April 25 so this is the year of the knee for me. Hope by summer I will be back out on my bike and working towards recovery. I really appreciate you sharing this, very helpful for me.
Old 02-14-24, 09:17 AM
rob214

update, day 41 post op, walking really well, my right knee is showing me why I need it to be repalced also. I must have slept weird as I woke up with pain. pt going well, -1 - 4 depending on the day for straightening and 114 on bending. after 4 days on the stationary bike I was able to exert enough pressure to actually register watts and cadence. previously I was just barely getting the cranks to spin. there are good days and tough days at pt and the gym. sometimes swelling sometimes not. walking is going good I'm up to a mile which I could not walk nearly that far pre op. there are times where there is no pain but move the wrong way and it lets you know you still have work to do. strength is coming slowly but I'm told range of motion is more important right now. I'm going to fit some flat pedals to my bike to prepare for actually riding on the road soon, hopefully.
Likes For rob214:
Old 02-14-24, 09:25 AM
Jtmav

Day 12 post op for me. Had my last in home PT session this morning and have been discharged to outpatient starting Friday. After 2 weeks I can say for the first time I am feeling a bit better, the first couple of weeks have been tough. My ROM was 99 degrees this morning and my PT thought that was very good. Getting out of the house for the first time Friday I’m sure will have a psychological effect and the real rehabbing can get underway. Optimistic about this, hope to be on a stationary bike soon.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 02-27-24, 05:44 AM
Jtmav

A little over 3 and a 1/2 weeks since surgery. Walking without any crutch or cane and been going to PT twice a week. My ROM is at 100 and got on the stationary bike at PT yesterday and rode for 10 mins, no resistance. While it started out uncomfortable after awhile things seem to loosen up a bit. She cleared me for 10-20 mins on the stationary bike starting tomorrow. Probably the worse part of this is forcing the knee to bend by the PT. It seems there are 2 schools of thought in this, traditional is you have a 6 week window to get as much ROM as you can before the scar tissue starts to really harden. The other is that forcing the knee will cause more damage and set back the ROM. To be honest I am a bit confused by some of this. I can see the need to work the knee and surrounding muscles but only after the soft tissue damage can heal. I am going to accept the more traditional model as I am seeing early results and will just accept the pain of forcing the knee seems to be necessary. I have learned that there is a difference between rehabbing surgical trauma and muscle rebuild. Anyone else here have thoughts about this?
Likes For Jtmav:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.