Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 04:36 PM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my Giant, I carry a Blackburn with a swing out handle.
Small enough, light enough and it puts out some useful air.
I've actually used it and it works well.

On my Jamis, I carry a Road Mini-Morph.
I like it's a design and I just can't say enough about my Joe Blow Pro.
I like it enough to justify the Mini.
Never used the Mini, though, so I can't really say.

But, in any event, they're both just insurance because my CO2 is my first line of defense.
I carry it, loaded, and a spare cartridge.
Old 01-19-09, 04:57 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Never used the Mini, though, so I can't really say.
Don't you want to test it to make sure it works?
Old 01-19-09, 05:14 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Functionally, I prefer the Topeak Road Morph, but it just doesn't look as classically "right" as a full frame pump peg mounted under a horizontal top tube like the Zefal HP-X.
Agreed, however, when it comes to pumps, I'll go for function. The thing about the Morph is that it is a mini floor pump and you can get much more leverage against the groud than with a frame pump held in mid air.

I've pumped a friend's tubs up to 140psi with mine. No sweat.
Old 01-19-09, 05:15 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwbnyc
Topeak Road Morph G
I had a forget the brand mini-pump. Pretty useless. I then started carrying that and CO2 cartridges. Both useless. Someone suggested the Topeak pump. It's like the heavens parted and the angels sang... the pump is awesome. It's not all that big, and is well worth the weight. It will pump your tires to their desired PSI. I have 2 - the road and mountain - I use camelbaks for both road and mountain biking and the pumps easily fit in the pack (most Camelbak have a "pump port").

PS: So Rick I take it you know the Topeak guy? p

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 01-19-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 05:21 PM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Besides my frame pump, I sometimes carry a CO2 cartridge when in long group rides and use it to save time. That's the only plus I see personally with using CO2s.
Agreed, but I learned the hard way...
Last fall I shelved the Topeak road morph for CO2 and got a flat 20 miles in on a long ride to visit my daughter at college. (parents day.)
I'm blaming it on a cold drizzly day and my fingers were numb changing the flat - I pinch flatted the spare! Nothing worse than that dreaded sound of PSHHHHHH.... on your last cartridge.
So I sat there in the grass on a semi-desolate road, waiting for the cavalry to arrive, telling numerous motorists, "yeah... I'm fine" feeling like an idiot.....
Ever since then I've been inclined to prepare for the brain fart and skip the CO2 and pack the trusty morph...
Old 01-19-09, 06:01 PM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't like the look of frame pumps at all, nor a mini strapped on, just fugly. On my road bike I carry co2 but rarely get a flat as I watch my air pressure and thorns/debris are not a big problem for me, if it were I might put my Zefal HPX back on. I can always call a cab I figure on most of my road rides (longer out of the way rides I tend to carry my hydration pack anyways).

On the mountain bike I carry the mini in my hydration pack, and always wear the pack.

I do wonder if carrying a pump in a pack is better than constant exposure to the elements for the seals and such? I suppose regular maintenance of the pump would fix that like someone mentioned...
Old 01-19-09, 06:55 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Agreed, but I learned the hard way...
Last fall I shelved the Topeak road morph for CO2 and got a flat 20 miles in on a long ride to visit my daughter at college. (parents day.)
I'm blaming it on a cold drizzly day and my fingers were numb changing the flat - I pinch flatted the spare! Nothing worse than that dreaded sound of PSHHHHHH.... on your last cartridge.
I'm so sorry for you. I've got to tell you, however, that I can't remember the last time that I used a pump on the road. I think that it was 6 or 7 years ago. To me, inflating a tire on a cold drizzly day is exactly the experience that makes me prefer the speed and convenience of CO2. I carried a Zefal HPX along with CO2 on my tandem for about 10 years and decided to give it up this year because I'd never used it, even once, in all that time.

I still, however, carry an HPX on my retro-grouch Bridgestone. CO2 just doesn't seem right.
Old 01-19-09, 06:56 PM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Having used both, I have to say that the Topeak Road Morph is several orders of magnitude better than the Zefal HP series - and don't get me started on mini "pumps"....

SP
Bend, OR
Old 01-19-09, 07:26 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Road Morph Mini is not bad either. It's significantly smaller, if you just can't bring yourself to carry the regular Road Morph G, But the larger (though still handy) Road Morph is sooo good.
Old 01-19-09, 07:27 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I have 3 Zefal HP's and 2 HPX's. No mini pumps. No CO2.
Old 01-19-09, 07:34 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have two mini pumps, the infamous Wrench Force referred to in the opening thread and a HP Hurricane marketed by Performance. Both perform reasonably well within the limitations of hand held pumps. The Wrench Force has a drawback, it is built for Schrader valves and requires an adaptor to use it on presta valves. When I've tested the pump it works fine, but I have had the rubber gasket in the adaptor fail. That said, I had occaision last year to use the pump when my freind had a flat and his trusty CO2 system failed. The pump performed well except, as has been noted above, getting 110 PSI into a tire with a mini-pump requires a build like the one on D-Gee's avatar. The best my athletic freind could accomplish was around 80-90 PSI. That was enough to nurse our way to the end of the ride. Not being of Hurculean build, I doubt I could get more than 70 PSI into a tire. I'm leaning toward carrying a CO2 system next year. If I do, you can be sure I will test it before I ride with it.
Old 01-19-09, 08:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
With Topeak making mini-pumps, how can all those other mini-pump makers stay in business? Topeaks are that good.
Old 01-19-09, 08:14 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You lot had better know what you're talking about because I've rung my lbs and ordered a Topeak Road Morph. Suffering, as I do, under the enlightened Australian bicycle industry, it won't be here until next week at least. The owner of my lbs is a Brit and having worked with both the British and the Australian industries, he's more scathing of the Aussie version than I am ... and I'm generally considered 'harsh'.

When repairing the tube (do you repair tubes or do you have a huge stack of them 'awaiting repair'?), I found two holes. What's more, looking closely, I don't reckon either came from something penetrating the tube - they looked more torn or pinched. Thing is, that tube's just done nearly 600km since the last time I touched it so it's unlikely to be a simple pinch on installation. At that time, I fitted tyre liners and I'm wondering if they aren't in someway associated with the holes, both holes being near the edge of where the tyre liner would be in the tyre. Maybe the tube was just twisted slightly and it's taken this long for the holes to develop, though getting two about a foot apart at the same time is stretching coincidence a bit. There's no sign of damage to the tyre and with the slick surface of the Detonator tyres, it should be easy enough to see cuts (though I know you don't always).

Incidentally, when testing my tube repair, I tried to pump up the tube with that rotten mini pump - it could get the tube (alone, not encased in a tyre) almost up to hot dog fatness but that's it, couldn't even stretch the rubber. Sheesh, no wonder it did nothing on the side of the road.

Richard
Old 01-19-09, 08:15 PM
rankinesoccer
Banned

Bikes: 2007 red Trek Fuel EX 6, c. 1990 Diamondback Centurion Master TG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a big pump.
Old 01-19-09, 10:19 PM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
You lot had better know what you're talking about because I've rung my lbs and ordered a Topeak Road Morph. Suffering, as I do, under the enlightened Australian bicycle industry, it won't be here until next week at least. The owner of my lbs is a Brit and having worked with both the British and the Australian industries, he's more scathing of the Aussie version than I am ... and I'm generally considered 'harsh'.

When repairing the tube (do you repair tubes or do you have a huge stack of them 'awaiting repair'?), I found two holes. What's more, looking closely, I don't reckon either came from something penetrating the tube - they looked more torn or pinched. Thing is, that tube's just done nearly 600km since the last time I touched it so it's unlikely to be a simple pinch on installation. At that time, I fitted tyre liners and I'm wondering if they aren't in someway associated with the holes, both holes being near the edge of where the tyre liner would be in the tyre. Maybe the tube was just twisted slightly and it's taken this long for the holes to develop, though getting two about a foot apart at the same time is stretching coincidence a bit. There's no sign of damage to the tyre and with the slick surface of the Detonator tyres, it should be easy enough to see cuts (though I know you don't always).

Incidentally, when testing my tube repair, I tried to pump up the tube with that rotten mini pump - it could get the tube (alone, not encased in a tyre) almost up to hot dog fatness but that's it, couldn't even stretch the rubber. Sheesh, no wonder it did nothing on the side of the road.

Richard
I remember seeing reports of problems with the tire liners causing flats rather than preventing them...might be your culprit.
Old 01-19-09, 10:50 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinfool
I remember seeing reports of problems with the tire liners causing flats rather than preventing them...might be your culprit.
That's what I was wondering, it fits the available evidence

Richard
Old 01-19-09, 10:53 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
Agreed, however, when it comes to pumps, I'll go for function. The thing about the Morph is that it is a mini floor pump and you can get much more leverage against the groud than with a frame pump held in mid air.

I've pumped a friend's tubs up to 140psi with mine. No sweat.
If the function of the HP-X was a problem, I would switch, but the only slight shortcoming of the frame pump is that you have to be a little careful not to carelessly tear off the stem. I don't mind applying a little skill. No problem ever getting 100 psi, which is all I need. But this is on the Bridgestone and the old Fuji where the frame pump has a clear advantage in looks and convenience of storage. On a MTB or if I had a compact road frame, there would be no such advantage and I would go with the Morph. In fact, I do just that on my rigid steel MTB. The plastic mount fits nicely under the top tube.
Old 01-20-09, 12:31 AM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Two words: Topeak Road Morph G. Nearly everyone in my group uses one. Someone gets to use his about once a week. Never failed. Works quickly.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 01-20-09, 07:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Tire liners can cause flats -- but if they do it'll be a cut in the tube, not a snakebite. Snakebites are from hitting something and bottoming out the tire against the rim.
Old 01-20-09, 10:23 AM
roadfix
hello

Frame fit pumps are not for everyone. You need some upper body/arm strength and steadiness to use one of these effectively. If I couldn't use one effectively, my choice pump would be a Road Morph as I've used one of these as well.

Last edited by roadfix; 01-20-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 12:08 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5473 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Get a Topeak Road Morph G. I had the Wrench Force mini pump. My arms aren't strong enough to use that thing effectively. It got me home a few times but that's about it. I gave it to my neighbor.
Old 01-20-09, 12:41 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
CO2 and STFU.
Old 01-20-09, 12:44 PM
roadfix
hello

Originally Posted by patentcad
CO2 and STFU.
Old 01-20-09, 12:48 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Most high end bikes made in the last several yaers don't accomodate a frame pump. Plus frame pumps are from a previous era. If you ride an older bike and like that look, a frame pump is the closest you can get to a floor pump.

A mini-pump can fit into a jersey pocket. I can get 100 lbs in five minutes into a tire. If that isn't fast enough, I also carry CO2.
Old 01-20-09, 12:52 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
A mini-pump can fit into a jersey pocket. I can get 100 lbs in five minutes into a tire. If that isn't fast enough, I also carry CO2.
It takes you five minutes to put 100lbs in a tyre? You need a Road Morph!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.