Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Flats and stupid mini-pumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 05:12 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
I've used this medium-sized pump successfully:

https://probiketool.com/products/min...ump-with-gauge
Old 11-30-23, 07:20 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Agreed, however, when it comes to pumps, I'll go for function. The thing about the Morph is that it is a mini floor pump and you can get much more leverage against the groud than with a frame pump held in mid air.

I use a Nashbar knockoff of the Blackburn frame pump. I just find a curb, rock, stick or tree root to lie the wheel down with the pump head against it, and then it is just like using a (one handed) floor pump. Easy to get to 120 psi. I have saved a few others who blew through their 2 CO2 cartridges.
Old 11-30-23, 07:26 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I got a flat when this thread was started. Started using my mini pump. I'm nearly finished.
Old 11-30-23, 09:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I got a flat when this thread was started. Started using my mini pump. I'm nearly finished.
Keep going, you'll get there.
Old 11-30-23, 09:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Report back if you get it inflated by Jan 1 (you pick the year).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-01-23, 09:27 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by jkretsch
Got a spare mount for the Hurricane Air Scepter you'd like to sell?
Sure, call my home phone: KLondike-5-3058.
Old 12-01-23, 10:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I have always had good luck with today's full-size frame-fit pumps. I have a Blackburn which fits between the downtube pegs on the UO-8 and Zefal HP-Xs along the seat tubes of the Bianchi and Capo #1. I have a Mt. Zefal frame fit pump on the peg on the back of the Schwinn's seat tube, taking advantage of all the tire clearance.
Yup, Full size frame pumps. I've stuck with the Zephal HPX pumps; having been completely sold by the earlier HPs. For more than a decade, I did not own a car, I rode sewups on all my bikes and every bike had its HP. I had and used no other pumps. Pumps only got replaced when lost or run over by a car. (This was before the invented that stuff, Velcro.) Except in winter when I needed snow and ice traction, my tire pressures were 105 psi plus.

The challenge now is carrying those pumps on a modern frame. (Kinda bugs me because the need for tire pressure is just as high now as it was 100 years ago and the physics of pumps never changed. (Skinny to keep required arm effort down, long to get volume up and number of strokes down. Those Zephals, both the old HPs and the HPXs pump most tires to the full pressure you want to ride in under 100 strokes. I don't know their max pressure but 120 psi is not hard to do.)

Figure out a secure way to carry the HPX. Problem (at least of getting the air in) solved. (I'm not bad mouthing any of the other good full frame pumps. I've just never used them. The Zephals have been, quite simply, so good, that why?

Edit: And those Zephals don't use hoses. I know that in the 2020s, hoses are good; they don't cause valve failures. I learned to hold the pump head and tire together with my left hand and pump into that resisting hand, not the valve 50 years ago. I don't trash valve stem/tube interfaces (at least not pumping; tires sliding on very hard braking descents and my spaciness mounting tires can be an issue). Not having to mess with a hose is, at least in my opinion, a real plus. Also, the contents of a hose has to be pumped up to full pressure, then discarded when you take it off the valve stem. Not a whole lot of air, but still ... No hose - simply faster. And isn't that better, even if it takes a little additional skill?

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-01-23 at 10:19 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-01-23, 03:26 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Since it has been so long since I have posted to this thread Ifigured I'd mention that I have become partial to Lezyne pumps. The Lezyne Small Grip Drive HV is on my mountain bike and I was impressed how well it worked even on big MTB tires, but I only tried it in testing since my tubeless system is pretty reliable. The max pressure on this one is 90 psi, but there are other models for higher pressure tires. I won't bother to dig up the model of the higher pressure lezyne that I used for road bike tires since I don't think it is a currently available model, but the Lezyne models in general are good stuff. Just pick one that suits your needs.
Old 12-01-23, 07:48 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Since it has been so long since I have posted to this thread Ifigured I'd mention that I have become partial to Lezyne pumps. The Lezyne Small Grip Drive HV is on my mountain bike and I was impressed how well it worked even on big MTB tires, but I only tried it in testing since my tubeless system is pretty reliable. The max pressure on this one is 90 psi, but there are other models for higher pressure tires. I won't bother to dig up the model of the higher pressure lezyne that I used for road bike tires since I don't think it is a currently available model, but the Lezyne models in general are good stuff. Just pick one that suits your needs.
Hmmm. Lezyne makes a pump that was quite popular with friends, but many had problems with the screw on pump head screwing OFF the valve assembly when removed. I have a Lezyne floor pump I bought long ago and hardly used, as it just didn’t work well.

Maybe I’ll give them another try.

I’ve used a Topeak micro blaster for years. It takes a zillion pumps to get to pressure, but it’s reliable and will pump to high pressure. I don’t get so many flats that it’s been an issue.

Old 12-01-23, 07:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
I carry two CO2 cartridges in my underseat bag and a mini pump in my jersey pocket for top-offs. Have not had the ‘pleasure’ yet.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-02-23, 10:56 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
As Crocodile Dundee would have said, "That's not a pump. THIS is a pump!"
I agree with this Get yourself a real pump (e.g. Zefal hpx). Most minipumps are close to useless IMHO and save so little weight as to be pointless.
Likes For davester:
Old 12-03-23, 04:59 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
Topeak Road Morph w/ gauge. What else is there?
This is the king of pumps, I’ve used this pump and its predecessor for more than 20 years now. Though the Road Morph is a “mini pump,” I have used mine as pretty much my only pump for years, and after years of daily use, it never misses a beat.
Old 12-03-23, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I agree with this Get yourself a real pump (e.g. Zefal hpx). Most minipumps are close to useless IMHO and save so little weight as to be pointless.
I’ve got 3 different mini-pumps that all work well and can be carried in a pocket or on a bottle cage mount.

1. Lifeline micro pump - tiny, cheap little thing that slips unnoticed into a jersey pocket. Great for local rides, although I wouldn’t trust it for epic rides far from home.

2. Topeak Race Rocket MT - Only slightly longer, but higher volume for mtb use. Can also carry in a pocket, but it is slightly more bulky.

3. Silca Tattico - A top quality mini road pump, but slightly longer and heavier than the above. It will still go in a jersey pocket, but I carry this one on a bottle cage mount.

It’s not the weight saving over a full length frame pump that really matters, it’s the much smaller form factor. Frame pumps made sense on vintage steel triangle frames and still do today, but not on a modern aero road bike or mtb.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-03-23, 07:14 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s not the weight saving over a full length frame pump that really matters, it’s the much smaller form factor. Frame pumps made sense on vintage steel triangle frames and still do today, but not on a modern aero road bike or mtb.
Yet another argument in favor of vintage steel triangle frames with horizontal top tubes, the only kind of road bike I own or ride.

My Schwinn mountain bike has a pump peg behind the seat tube, and seems designed for the Mt. Zefal pump I use with it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-03-23, 07:34 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Probably where I should go too. I think any system can fail, be it a pump or CO2, and having one of each is best. CO2 for the primary, small mini pump as a backup.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-03-23, 09:30 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’ve got 3 different mini-pumps that all work well and can be carried in a pocket or on a bottle cage mount.

1. Lifeline micro pump - tiny, cheap little thing that slips unnoticed into a jersey pocket. Great for local rides, although I wouldn’t trust it for epic rides far from home.

2. Topeak Race Rocket MT - Only slightly longer, but higher volume for mtb use. Can also carry in a pocket, but it is slightly more bulky.

3. Silca Tattico - A top quality mini road pump, but slightly longer and heavier than the above. It will still go in a jersey pocket, but I carry this one on a bottle cage mount.

I sure love mine. I am amazed how fast it pumps up a tire. I have not counted the strokes but it will pump a rat trap pass up to 50psi in about a minute and a 700x32 to 80psi in about the same. First time I tried it I figured I was going to be there a while and to my surprise that was not the case....I think I have fixed at least 6 flats with it this year maybe one or two more....too many flats....heck one ride I flatted on the rear and a mile later the front went flat....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-03-23, 01:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I've had two flats since this thread started - on consecutive days no less. Both times used my Topeak Dual mini pump. Both times checked the pressure afterwards and found I'd stopped at 70psi. Good enough to get me home with relatively low risk of pinch flatting. Confident I could have gotten it to 90psi, had I been in a long ride. Not easily, but possible.

Road Morph on the rando bike is solid; reliable when 100 miles from the finish and 1000+ miles from home.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-03-23, 02:53 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by John E
Yet another argument in favor of vintage steel triangle frames with horizontal top tubes, the only kind of road bike I own or ride.
Ah, but if you run modern wider tubeless tyres then you only need about half the pressure and you rarely get flats anyway
Old 12-04-23, 07:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I've had two flats since this thread started - on consecutive days no less. Both times used my Topeak Dual mini pump. Both times checked the pressure afterwards and found I'd stopped at 70psi. Good enough to get me home with relatively low risk of pinch flatting. Confident I could have gotten it to 90psi, had I been in a long ride. Not easily, but possible.

Road Morph on the rando bike is solid; reliable when 100 miles from the finish and 1000+ miles from home.
I'm not superstitions; things don't actually happen in threes. Purely meaningless that today's flat was the third in eight days.
Old 12-05-23, 04:51 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm not superstitions; things don't actually happen in threes. Purely meaningless that today's flat was the third in eight days.
You just need to get a 4th flat to prove it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-09-24, 08:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I carry and use CO2 cartridges. I do carry a mini pump as a back up. But a several have said mini pumps are a pain in the shorts.
Old 03-09-24, 11:25 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Topeak Road Morph G is the Only Pump. Once you've borrowed one, you're gonna get your own. Only problem with it is that it doesn't come with a water bottle cage compatible mount. But either you have one in your spares box or pick up one at a bike shop. Don't be stuck pumping endlessly while your buds vanish into the distance, never to be seen again.
Old 03-09-24, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Topeak Road Morph G is the Only Pump. Once you've borrowed one, you're gonna get your own.
I discovered it during my cross country tour back in 1999. Three of the 12 participants in the group had them. The rest of us were constantly borrowing them. Bought my own after I got home. It’s the only pump I’ll tour with.
Old 03-09-24, 12:25 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Hard to believe this thread's been going for 15 years.

No, it isn't. It's still relevant.
Old 03-09-24, 01:03 PM
robobike316 

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
I use only the old aluminum Zefals HP and HPX and the full size Silcas with a Campy head of course. I've messed around with all sorts of others over the years but these just work and the Zefals are very tough even surviving falling off the bike and being run over by other bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.