Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drilling Rims for Schrader valves

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 06:32 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

I have 26" Velocity AeroHeat rims that I am preparing to drill out to fit Schrader valves. I contacted Velocity to get their input/caution and they said "no problem" to do this.
Would like to know what the best procedure is to drill and the "finish" the hole. Reaming?
The reason for the change is these wheels are on our touring bikes and I want to have options for both Presta & Schrader.
Thanks!
Old 12-04-13, 06:41 PM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Done that before, use a 10 mm drill bit and slowly ease the drill bit into the valve hole. After use a small round file to remove any burrs or sharp edges.
Old 12-04-13, 06:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I use a tapered reamer for doing that.
Old 12-04-13, 07:04 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

When using a reamer do you use it by hand or with a drill?
Old 12-04-13, 07:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
When using a reamer do you use it by hand or with a drill?
The tool of choice is a T-handled tapered reamer. As the T-handle implies it's a hand tool, not a power tool.

If you prefer drilling, the size is a letter N drill, or the closest size bigger, which is 5/16". This is the right size for SV that are threaded all the way down. For those with a conical rubber base (most common these days) you want to go a bit bigger, maybe 9mm or so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-04-13, 07:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
21/64".

You could get a Schraeder/Presta adaptoer.
I keep one on my key chain.
Old 12-04-13, 09:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I wouldn't use a power drill, it can snag on the rim. Better to use a hand reamer or even a large round file, then some sandpaper to soften sharp edges.
Old 12-05-13, 11:43 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I've always used a chainsaw file. That said, I've always had chainsaw files on hand. Doesn't take much time or effort on an aluminum rim.

Old 12-05-13, 05:41 PM
RandomTroll
Banned.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I drill it out with drill bits held in my hand using the smallest that won't fit then the next 1/64th larger, etc. I think this is the gentlest and least likely to leave a nick or burr.

I have been stuck in the middle of nowhere (Vidal, Colorado, to be specific) on a multi-month trip. Prestas used to be (still are?) hard to find.
Old 12-05-13, 05:50 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

With a schrader sized hole, you can use either type of tube. I was one stuck in the middle of nowhere due to my own stupidity. Took along a schrader valved tube for a presta only rim. and trashed my initial tube.

Old 12-05-13, 05:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

One thing that people rarely consider is the clearance inside the tire at the bead. Narrow tires, combined with tires that are a bit wide at the bead line, means very limited clearance at the bead line. While there's rarely a problem drilling rims out, folks using very narrow rims may find that they cannot mount tires when using Shrader valves.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 12-07-13, 08:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
On the other hand you could just stay with presta tubes.
Old 12-07-13, 09:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
On the other hand you could just stay with presta tubes.
The problem, as detailed above, is that you can't always find them. Typically, Presta tubes are available only at bike shops and a lot of small towns won't have anyplace that sells them. Your advice is good if you can plan where and when you have your flats.
Old 12-07-13, 09:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The problem, as detailed above, is that you can't always find them. Typically, Presta tubes are available only at bike shops and a lot of small towns won't have anyplace that sells them. Your advice is good if you can plan where and when you have your flats.
If you are anywhere near a Walmart, you are near a source of Presta tubes. And, since you are almost always near a Walmart in the US, you are near a source of Presta tubes. YMMV in other countries but not in the US.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-08-13, 02:45 PM
Tandem Tom

I started this thread and did this project this afternoon. I posted in the Touring Forum.
Thanks for all you replies!
Old 12-08-13, 08:16 PM
konabunny

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you are anywhere near a Walmart, you are near a source of Presta tubes. And, since you are almost always near a Walmart in the US, you are near a source of Presta tubes. YMMV in other countries but not in the US.
Maybe in the US Walmarts, but the here in Quebec the Wally worlds only cater to the mass market " bike as a toy" crowd. Don't ever hope to find a Presta valve tube here!
Old 12-08-13, 08:23 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by konabunny
Maybe in the US Walmarts, but the here in Quebec the Wally worlds only cater to the mass market " bike as a toy" crowd. Don't ever hope to find a Presta valve tube here!
But, T-handled tpaered reamers are pretty ubiquitous, either at tool/home super stores, or local hardware stores. So you can cross the convert to Shrader valve bridge if/when you come to it.

Anyway tubes are easily patched, so if you start out with 2 spares, the odds of running out are fairly low. When you're down to only one spare tube, plan on picking up the replacement at the next opportunity.

Old 12-08-13, 09:14 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1......
Old 12-08-13, 09:20 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 1,770 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
21/64".

You could get a Schraeder/Presta adaptoer.
I keep one on my key chain.
+ Valve adapters cost about a $1 at nearly any bike shop and a tube costs $4.00 so you dont realy need to go to the extreme of drilling a rim. Just buy an extra tube or two and keep them with you on long rides. Most serious C&V Guys keep at least one new tube with them when riding any serious distance.

Last edited by zukahn1; 12-08-13 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 09:41 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
With a schrader sized hole, you can use either type of tube. I was one stuck in the middle of nowhere due to my own stupidity. Took along a schrader valved tube for a presta only rim. and trashed my initial tube.
SB - Although most of we riders have had a "lessons learned" event at one time or another, I can't say that many would draw the immediate conclusion that the right response is to start drilling out the holes in otherwise good rims. Maybe a better answer would be to be more diligent in planning your kit for the next ride... and checking it twice (couldn't resist that given the time of year). Imho, schraeder tubes have one good use; That being to make bungie cords out of them. Adapters to convert wheels to Presta are readily available and cheap...so just chuck the automotive tubes???
Old 12-10-13, 09:59 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by ksisler
SB - Although most of we riders have had a "lessons learned" event at one time or another, I can't say that many would draw the immediate conclusion that the right response is to start drilling out the holes in otherwise good rims. Maybe a better answer would be to be more diligent in planning your kit for the next ride... and checking it twice (couldn't resist that given the time of year). Imho, schraeder tubes have one good use; That being to make bungie cords out of them. Adapters to convert wheels to Presta are readily available and cheap...so just chuck the automotive tubes???
Yes to all of the above, as long as you live in the developed world. Schrader valves are the dominant valve here, and it's easier to buy 28" tires(true 28s) than to buy 700C. That's changing some now, but it takes time. Recently my favorite lbs began offering 700C tires in wider, knobbier sizes; unfortunately they offer neither tubes nor rims/wheels to go along with them. I can buy a normal 700 x 25, or a 700 x 2.1; nothing in between. The tires are 700 x 40. Freewheels are more common than cassettes, rod brakes are common, and on and on.

Old 12-10-13, 10:37 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Imho, schraeder tubes have one good use; That being to make bungie cords out of them. Adapters to convert wheels to Presta are readily available and cheap...so just chuck the automotive tubes???
What's wrong with Schrader valves? Hundreds of millions of cars use them, and how many failures do you hear about? The cores are replaceable (not always the case with Presta) and the presta to Schrader adapters suck. IME the adapters barely work, if at all. Why convert when you can have the better valve to start with?

Properly manufactured, presta tubes are fine. The problem is all the cheap ones that are out now, that will either fail where the valve meets the tube, or the valve itself will stick to the point that air can neither be added or removed from the tube, rendering it useless. IME Schrader valves are completely immune to this nonsense.

The only reasons to use presta instead of Schrader is if the rim is too narrow to have a Schrader sized hole, or you have a deep road rim that needs a long valve stem.
Old 12-12-13, 01:55 PM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all due respect, I live in the US and Walmart has a limited selection of Presta inner tube sizes, so Walmart isn’t the remedy for everyone’s various tire sizes. For instance, I’ve never been able to locate a Presta inner tube at a Walmart store that fits the 26” x 2.0 street tires I use on my long distance rides. At the Walmarts in my area, all of their inner tubes for 26” tires have had Schrader valves only. This is likely attributable to the fact that all of the mountain bikes they sell with 26” tires are equipped with Schrader valves.
Old 12-13-13, 09:14 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[Partial QUOTE=FastJake;16320027] What's wrong with Schrader valves? Hundreds of millions of cars use them, and how many failures do you hear about? The cores are replaceable (not always the case with Presta) and the presta to Schrader adapters suck. IME the adapters barely work, if at all. Why convert when you can have the better valve to start with?
[/QUOTE]

FJ; Agreed that millions of cars use schraeder valves. However the principle reason that one hears of few relative failures is this:

1) Under reporting and generalized naming. When folks get a flat for any reason, they call it a flat tire and they put on the spare. Which ever shop fixes the flat makes it go. If the cause was a popped valve, it doesn't matter one way or the other. They just put it right, charge you and you drive away to finish whatever you originally planned to do;

2) About 90%+ of the auto tire shops require that the tire valves be replaced when new tires are installed or they will not warrantee the new tires. Period.

Depend on how tight the price competition is locally, the shop may or may not make a point of itemizing the valve replacement ($4-5 per wheel) on the invoice, but almost all of them replace the valves. They know that valves fail regularly and if they don't force a valve replacement then percentage wise many more tires will end up going flat and being returned to them, which damages the shops reputation and wastes time. Flatted car/truck tires are often ruined when they flat and the shop will have to eat most or all of the cost of the replacement tire even if the OEM had a 100% Road Hazard package, etc.

Besides being a 45 year bike nut, I am also a car nut, a old car restorer, a hot rod builder, and a previous auto shop owner. For sure I own antique tires/wheels from the 1930's which still have the original tubes with Schraeder valves them. But that is an incredibly rare situation (just required for max points at a Concours car competition) and I sure as heck am not going to actually drive on them.

And to close on other comments; Yes, if one lives in a developing country or any other place where XX valve is the norm, then for goodness sakes use XX valve based bike tubes. To do otherwise would be perhaps we should say "ill advised" rather than silly or begging for trouble.

/K
Old 07-14-16, 08:18 AM
CrankyNeck

Bikes: Trek 2300

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All of the technology we now have and we can't do better than presta? That's sad. Go ahead and make that hole bigger and use Schrader. I'm betting you'll be glad you did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.