Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Recommend cheap rack bag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Recommend cheap rack bag

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 07:49 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recommend cheap rack bag

Looking to start commuting a few times a week but need a trunk back for my rack. Looking for cheaper side of things recommendations. Needs to carry my work clothes(slacks dress shirt tie) and shoes.
Thanks
Old 08-11-16, 11:06 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
If you want inexpensive, look at the Performance Bike or Nashbar bags. Well built and well thought out.
Old 08-11-16, 11:09 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Sunlite has some great trunk bags and panniers at good price points. I've got some Sunlite panniers and a trunk bag and they've both held up well.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-11-16, 11:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My trunk bag is a makeshift doodad but it works. It's an insulated soft sided rolling drink/food cooler. I've used it for fetching groceries when I plan to pick up ice cream and other frozen or refrigerated items. Also handy for my larger camera gear. It's reasonably weather resistant, although the zippers might leak during a downpour. Plenty of room for dress shoes and carefully folded clothes without cramming everything together. Got it at an end of summer clearance sale last year at Walgreen's, around $15. Seems pretty durable.

Rigging it up to the rear rack isn't as handy as a purpose-designed bicycle trunk bag. The telescoping metal handle and rack does mate pretty well with the bike's rear rack. I use bungee cords or heavy duty zip ties to secure it to the bike.

I'm not using it often now and mostly prefer Nashbar Townie panniers for groceries and errands. But I'll probably use the makeshift trunk bag again this fall and winter when it rains more often.
Old 08-11-16, 11:31 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec
Looking to start commuting a few times a week but need a trunk back for my rack. Looking for cheaper side of things recommendations. Needs to carry my work clothes(slacks dress shirt tie) and shoes.
Thanks
The other poster was recommending the garment pannier by Performance Bike or Bike Nashbar (one of their employees told me they are one and the same now) and they are a good choice. I have one. They are overkill for business lite. The Nashbar trunk bag can fit your kit but you will be rolling stuff pretty tightly. In Portland most everyone is rocking panniers, Ortleib or knock of Ortleib. My wife and I use a NorthFace pack called the Overhaul 40 to carry the full office kit if a suit jacket is not part of the wardrobe.
Old 08-12-16, 07:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec
Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J5...TIL&ref=plSrch

Ive used this for a few thousand miles. Is t waterproof, but is water resistant.
Solid velcro attachments.
Old 08-14-16, 10:45 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Ive used this for a few thousand miles. Is t waterproof, but is water resistant.
I like this one too; it is a bit on the smaller side; I have it on a bike I commute on in frequently.

On my main commuters I have: Avenir Metro Rear Pannier which is around 4X the volume.
Old 08-14-16, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another you guys do my shopping for me thread, Hah!

There are drape over your rear rack Full suit carrying bags for Business air travelers check the Charity shops
and (you cannot take it with You) , Estate sales.

Buy Premium, and arrive with Impeccable taste and perfectly pressed clothing ?

Buy one of these https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Travel-Biker/

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-14-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 02:03 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may check the goodwill! You may find a good bag there.
Old 08-15-16, 02:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

That looks really handy but I'm concerned about one thing looking at the photo and I'm hoping you can weigh in on it. It looks like it might be difficult to snug in under a saddle bag (which could be dealt with) but maybe hangs of the back of the rack an inch or two. Or is your experience that it fits a rack OK without overhang?
Old 08-15-16, 02:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That looks really handy but I'm concerned about one thing looking at the photo and I'm hoping you can weigh in on it. It looks like it might be difficult to snug in under a saddle bag (which could be dealt with) but maybe hangs of the back of the rack an inch or two. Or is your experience that it fits a rack OK without overhang?
Interesting saddle bag question. I dont use a saddle bag for the bike I have the truck bag on, but based on the pic below, I would think most saddle bags would fit...assuming the type of saddle bag you refer to is the wedge shape.
If you mean a saddle bag like the long flap Carradice style, then no it wouldnt fit with those large bags.

In terms of length, it fits great on the rack and doesnt hang over. Its attached to an Axiom Journey rack.

The only complaint is when it isnt full, it leans. I fixed that with a small bit of a corrugated garage sale sign. that I folded into a U shape. it keeps the sides upright and weighs basically nothing.
Old 08-15-16, 07:26 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Interesting saddle bag question. I dont use a saddle bag for the bike I have the truck bag on, but based on the pic below, I would think most saddle bags would fit...assuming the type of saddle bag you refer to is the wedge shape.
If you mean a saddle bag like the long flap Carradice style, then no it wouldnt fit with those large bags.

In terms of length, it fits great on the rack and doesnt hang over. Its attached to an Axiom Journey rack.

The only complaint is when it isnt full, it leans. I fixed that with a small bit of a corrugated garage sale sign. that I folded into a U shape. it keeps the sides upright and weighs basically nothing.
Thanks.
Old 08-15-16, 07:55 PM
Ludeykrus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Sunlite has some great trunk bags and panniers at good price points. I've got some Sunlite panniers and a trunk bag and they've both held up well.
x2 on Sunlite. Good stuff for a fair price.
Old 08-16-16, 10:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
If you want cheap, you can't beat a kittier (kitty littler bucket --> pannier). But you gotta be willing to look like a hobo, which seems unlikely if you're a daily tie-wearer.

Whatever solution you end up with, I would recommend keep your shoes at work. No need to lug those back and forth every day.

Unless you're the kind of metrosexual that wears different shoes every day to be all matchy-matchy with your fashionable clothes.
Old 08-16-16, 10:46 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Banjo Brothers and Louis Garneau both sell very nice rack-top bags that cost about $40.
Old 08-18-16, 01:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I got one of these on a lark but never used it

Schwinn Basic Bicycle Rack Cargo Bag with Side Panniers, Black - Walmart.com

I think this is it too
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cycling-B...Black/43183684
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00aa schwinn.jpg (21.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 08-21-16, 06:17 AM
tywebb

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had issues with my Sunlite falling off my rack. I resorted to extra bungee cords to strap it down and it still would fall off. I think it is suspicious that they don't show you back side pictures of the bag at any of the online sites I checked. My bag only had 2 small hooks that slipped over the rack and nothing to lock it to the rack. I had the bag fall off 3 times in one 8 miles commute before I retired it.

I switched to a REI Novara bag and haven't had an issue. I think the bag I use has been discontinued but they have new bags on clearance.
https://www.rei.com/product/825288/n...otham-panniers Looks like a good value to me.