Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur cable housing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 07:36 PM
williamskg6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts

I've been working on a 1987 Specialized Sirrus. I've got it assembled and working, but I'm not very satisfied with how the rear derailleur cable housing is working out. On the bottom of the right chainstay there is a brazed on cable stop, but the it does not work with a end cap for the housing. If I use a housing end cap it works fine but it cannot fit within the fitting and it just sits awkwardly on the edge of the fitting. It's not even close. If I go without a ferrule the cable housing will eventually wiggle into the fitting. Problem solved, right? No. Without a ferrule, the housing will eventually go all the way through the fitting and shifting doesn't work correctly anymore.

Here are some photos so you can see what's going on.

Either I'm doing something wrong or this is how it's supposed to be done. If anyone has advice on the correct way to do this, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!
Old 05-09-21, 07:42 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
You need a step down ferrule. LBS should give you one for free.
Old 05-09-21, 07:42 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You need a 'step-ferrule'.
Step ferrule
Old 05-11-21, 02:00 AM
AngelPedaller

Bikes: Giant Defy 3, Cannondale CAAD12

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need a terminal step down cap or step-down ferrule.
Old 05-13-21, 08:45 PM
williamskg6

I did some measuring and the inside diameter of the fitting is 4mm. The outside diameter of the derailleur cable housing, as I'm sure you all know, is 4mm. I could not find any of those Shimano 4mm step ferrules locally. The closest thing I could get is a Jagwire ferrule that has a very thin tube on the end. It accepts 4mm housing, and the thin tube is just a little bigger than the cable. What I did is get a piece of vinyl end cap for some carbon rods I used to use on kites and put it on the thin tube. That brought the outer diameter of the tube to about 3.8mm, which is reasonably close to the size of the frame fitting. It's not perfect, but it's a ton better than what I had. Here's a photo. You cannot see the vinyl end cap piece - I cut it such that it's entirely within the frame fitting. This will definitely work until I decide I want to track down some of those step down ferrules.

Old 05-13-21, 08:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
There's an Amazon link in my post.
Old 05-13-21, 09:18 PM
williamskg6

Originally Posted by cxwrench
There's an Amazon link in my post.
I did see that, thanks. I was just trying to find something local. I'm glad you put the link in there though - these are not very easy to find.
Old 05-13-21, 11:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by williamskg6
I did some measuring and the inside diameter of the fitting is 4mm. The outside diameter of the derailleur cable housing, as I'm sure you all know, is 4mm. I could not find any of those Shimano 4mm step ferrules locally. The closest thing I could get is a Jagwire ferrule that has a very thin tube on the end. It accepts 4mm housing, and the thin tube is just a little bigger than the cable. What I did is get a piece of vinyl end cap for some carbon rods I used to use on kites and put it on the thin tube. That brought the outer diameter of the tube to about 3.8mm, which is reasonably close to the size of the frame fitting. It's not perfect, but it's a ton better than what I had. Here's a photo. You cannot see the vinyl end cap piece - I cut it such that it's entirely within the frame fitting. This will definitely work until I decide I want to track down some of those step down ferrules.
It’s questionable if that will work for index shifting. You need a stiffer ferrule. The plastic one is going to flex and make for vague shifting.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-14-21, 06:22 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I think this is the one area that does not have much attention given. It is always a challenge to ensure there isn't an abrupt change in direction of the cable.
I went round and round when building the De Rosa. The cable set is Campagnolo and didn't have very clear directions for the use of the parts.
In addition, I was surprised to see the difference of the angle depending on which sprocket the chain was on. Here is an example. You might suppose the best angle would be with the largest sprocket as the RD ends up being stretched out.
P1050081 on Flickr
P1050082 on Flickr

The last picture is with the worst configuration as the chain is still on the small ring. Now on the large ring:
P1050083 on Flickr

Some might say the housing is too long. The wear on the stay indicates a shorter housing. I try to make sure the transition are as straight as possible. Perhaps I should look at a compromise. The truth is that the housing is uncut from Campy.
In any case. when you select the length of the housing, take into account which sprockets and chain ring you are set up with for the worst angle.

Yeah, I know, trim the cable!
Old 05-14-21, 06:40 AM
williamskg6

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s questionable if that will work for index shifting. You need a stiffer ferrule. The plastic one is going to flex and make for vague shifting.
Well, the new ferrule and the small tube are both metal. The vinyl end cap part I mention is only to keep the metal parts somewhat centered in the frame's fitting. It's not perfect, but an improvement.
Old 05-14-21, 07:21 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I think this is the one area that does not have much attention given. It is always a challenge to ensure there isn't an abrupt change in direction of the cable....I try to make sure the transition are as straight as possible. Perhaps I should look at a compromise.
You might like this article from Killasgarage.com. I was led to it by Bike Gremlin. It concerns the bends in a cable housing and total degrees of direction change. A teaser picture from the article:

Old 05-14-21, 09:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Well, the new ferrule and the small tube are both metal. The vinyl end cap part I mention is only to keep the metal parts somewhat centered in the frame's fitting. It's not perfect, but an improvement.
Given the angle of the ferrule, you are putting strain on the plastic part of the ferrule. The plastic part is the only thing that is really engaging in the stop. The plastic is going to cause a kink on the inner cable as pressure is put on the cable.

A step ferrule will keep the cable housing in a straight line. Your current workaround will bend and put pressure on the cable which will have an effect on the precision needed for index shifting.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-14-21, 09:54 AM
williamskg6

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Given the angle of the ferrule, you are putting strain on the plastic part of the ferrule. The plastic part is the only thing that is really engaging in the stop. The plastic is going to cause a kink on the inner cable as pressure is put on the cable.

A step ferrule will keep the cable housing in a straight line. Your current workaround will bend and put pressure on the cable which will have an effect on the precision needed for index shifting.
I do get what you're saying, but there are no plastic parts in the ferrule. It's all metal. The only plastic is the vinyl end cap that I used on the exterior of the thin metal tube to keep it centered in the frame fitting, and that does not come in contact at all with the cable. I do agree that it's not ideal, so I will be putting a step down ferrule on there as soon as it arrives, but it's better than it was.
Old 05-14-21, 10:02 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m glad you are getting the correct part. If you have an old set of brake calipers you don’t care about, you might be able to fashion something that will work from the cable adjuster.

Or you can just wait for the step ferrule and sell the old brakes on eBay for 10 times their worth.

John
Old 05-14-21, 02:12 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
You could get a rollamajig that will pass the cable through a pulley at 90 degrees and directly into the derailleur. Then the cable housing will be almost but not completely straight. Although it's plastic, mine is still ok after 3 years. I bought 2 extra just in case. I also use it for the front derailleur because I have no cable stops on the frame.

If you want metal, there are some cheaper aluminum pulleys that you can find on aliexpress with radial bearings.i bought a couple but never got around to changing them because the original rollamajig still works and are smaller and lighter.
Old 05-18-21, 03:59 PM
williamskg6

Well, the step down ferrule arrived today, and I noticed I had a problem - the stepped-down section was 5.6mm and would not fit. My frame fitting has a hole that is 4mm. Looking at the part, the stepped down section was thick enough metal that I could file it down. So, I made a mandrel for my Dremel and filed down a portion of the stepped-down section. It looks a little rough in the photo below, but on the bike it looks just fine since the rough finish part is inside the frame fitting. I need to get a lathe at some point!

I shortened my cable housing a bit, made some B limit adjustments, and shifting is working very well. A modern 1X drivetrain on a 30 year old bicycle!

Thanks to all who offered advice, and a special thanks to Joe The Bike Man.
Likes For williamskg6:
Old 05-18-21, 10:56 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
You guys are all using 5 to 4 mm step-down ferrules. 5mm shift housing would fit snugly into the 5mm end of the ferrule, resulting in less dirt and movement of the housing end inside the ferrule. Since fewer applications call for step-down ferrules these days, there isn't much call for 5mm shift housing. But it is available.
Old 05-19-21, 03:47 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Well, the step down ferrule arrived today, and I noticed I had a problem - the stepped-down section was 5.6mm and would not fit. My frame fitting has a hole that is 4mm. Looking at the part, the stepped down section was thick enough metal that I could file it down. So, I made a mandrel for my Dremel and filed down a portion of the stepped-down section. It looks a little rough in the photo below, but on the bike it looks just fine since the rough finish part is inside the frame fitting. I need to get a lathe at some point!

I shortened my cable housing a bit, made some B limit adjustments, and shifting is working very well. A modern 1X drivetrain on a 30 year old bicycle!

Thanks to all who offered advice, and a special thanks to Joe The Bike Man.
I think you did a great job at modifying the part.

Last edited by JoeTBM; 05-19-21 at 04:00 AM.