Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Busted Carbon - Help Please?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Busted Carbon - Help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 10:58 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Today this happened:
I stuck the shell under my jersey, the anchor in a jersey pocket, and rode standing up the remaining 15 miles.
Un uomo duro.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 02-14-22, 11:32 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
The reason JB Weld is totally ubiquitous is not because it's "cheap", it is because it works.

I have used Marine-Tex, West Systems, vinyl esters, fiberglass, and JB Weld. For repairs that call for a tough and permanent bond, JB does a great job.

One of the great things about JB, is that you can get a small and fresh quantity. Fresh? Yep, once epoxy "sugars" (gets gritty and isn't smooth flowing when wet) it's done. JB Weld is used in industrial applications all the time.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 02-14-22, 11:48 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
First off I am glad you are ok and this didn't cause any kind of accident or injury.

I would adhere the frame to the saddle with carbon specific tape and then encase the area in PC7 epoxy.

As aothers have mentioned, given the amont of flex in the design and the fact that it has already failed once, I would not go too far in investing in a repair. See if you can get it stable and take it for a ride.

If I were faced with this decison, I would get a new saddle. Failures of this type when repaired, give me the heebe jeebees. Be safe!

I
Likes For fender1:
Old 02-14-22, 12:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
How old is it?

https://www.selleitalia.com/en/warranty-2/
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-14-22, 12:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
Mad Honk has small piece carbon fiber experience, IIRC thoughts?

Old 02-14-22, 01:56 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Further detailed analysis of the saddle components and manufacture process has made me realize I need to share some additional photos - plus some observations.

First of all, the anchoring piece is made of some sort of PVC or polycarbonate. It has two holes drilled into it from the top, and a plate - also of polycarbonate, with two countersunk holes - carries two screws which screw down into the anchor. This plate covers the front U-bend of the rail and holds it in place. Details in the following photos:

The carbon layer covers the entirety of the underside of the shell, and before the failure it simply wrapped over and around the entire nose anchor piece. Pretty sure the anchor piece was also held in place by some epoxy, but it must have been a very, very thin layer as the only evidence of epoxy is in the backside of the two drilled holes:

From the evidence, the failure occurred when the hit exceeded the load the carbon layer was designed to take - first at the rear of the anchor (the force transferred forward by the saddle rail U-bend). The carbon layer doesn't seem to have been well-formed to the base of the anchor, and curves upwards as can be seen from these next couple shots - for orientation purposes, that tiny bit of white paint is towards the rear of the saddle:

At the rear, the saddle rails were held in place in their anchors by interference fit along with a small amount of silicone. I assume these anchors are also polycarbonate, bonded with epoxy, and covered by the main carbon layer. Luckily, that layer didn't fail as well. I cleaned out the dried-up silicone and will replace. Some pics to show details:

Last but certainly not least is a close-up look at the forward anchor - separated from the shell. From the evidence, it appears this piece would have been epoxied to the shell, then covered over completely by the final carbon layer. This layer is a simple 90 degree weave, and comes apart by hand, suggesting it was not pre-impregnated with resin. I've had one other version of this saddle, and the underside had been coated with a shiny epoxy or resin - probably for added strength. This layer is extremely thin, so I have to wonder: was it really doing much in the way of strengthening the forward anchor point, or would the epoxy affixing the anchor have been doing the job? This anchor is very tight when placed back into the shell - in fact, I have to give it a massive tug to get it back out, and it even stayed in place when I did a test re-fit of the saddle rails. Anyway, this is what it looks like now I've prepped it for re-installation; note I've removed most of the remaining carbon layer except at the front and the triangular bit that will go back in last to shore up the inner flank:

I left the remaining bit of the carbon layer on the front of the anchor to help with lining it up and for aesthetic purposes.

So, what's the solution? Honestly, I'm gonna go with what I know: JB Weld. After all, it's epoxy - right? Just recently used it to repair a metal light fixture outside the house and it's holding up fine. In this application, the forces will mainly be vertical; the hit it took was a shearing load, but in all honesty that was me not paying attention!

I have reviewed the other posts (still need to make some responses) and I was very interested in the one with the carbon weave availability at McMaster-Carr. For now, I'm gonna try this with epoxy only, but may revisit with a small layer of carbon weave, too. Have to check on availability and do a little research into how to properly place/attach the stuff.

So, off to Wal-Mart for the JB Weld and some liquid silicone. I'll update the thread with pics of the process soon.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 02-16-22 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-14-22, 02:24 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Un uomo duro.
Ha ha

What surprised me: what hurt the most when I got home was my feet - specifically both big toes. Prolonged forward pressure against the toebox (I like my shoes on the tight size); almost felt as though I had ingrown toenails on both of them. Not fun.

DD
Old 02-14-22, 02:54 PM
fordbailey

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Competition (sn A8326), 1973 Raleigh Competition (sn A4985), 1982 Dawes Atlantis, 1985 Condor, 1990 Trimble 140U, 1990 Trimble 160U, 1974 Free Spirit Ted Williams Racer, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts
Today this happened:

I was sitting "heavy" when I hit a substantial bump at substantial speed. Crack! I stuck the shell under my jersey, the anchor in a jersey pocket, and rode standing up the remaining 15 miles. Yes, my legs were damned tired at the finish

The failure seems pretty localized. The shredded bit looks to be a single layer that butted up against the base of the forward anchoring point; doesn't even look as though it was structural. Is it possible to clean that up with an X-Acto, then use epoxy to re-attach the anchor piece? Note there doesn't appear to have been any epoxy holding the anchor in the original configuration; doesn't appear to have been any at the rear attachment points, either.

I'd really like to save this saddle. Carbon repair experts are encouraged to weigh in with their suggestions; if suggesting products, please provide name brands so I can find them if/when I go lookin'

Thanks!

DD
I bought a carbon repair kit on eBay after I crashed and my frame cracked. It came with two part epoxy and a small sheet of unidirectional.carbon. It cost maybe $20 and I was able to fix my frame one day and do a long grueling ride the next. Your saddle looks pretty easy to fix.

Best of luck-

Ford
Ghent, NY
USA
Likes For fordbailey:
Old 02-14-22, 03:21 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I guess the trick might come down to how you'll get the repair resin to penetrate the CF weave on the saddle shell and the rail receiver piece.
Maybe you can use one of those counter top food packaging vacuum bag system over the repair area to "push in" the resin into the surrounding structure?

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-15-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-14-22, 04:10 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Found this stuff:

Carbon fiber was called out specifically in the compatibility list. Dries tan, not clear, but what the hey - the repair site is on the underside of the saddle so I don't really care.

Finishing up the prep work with a little more sanding of the mating surfaces. I figure as the interference fit is pretty tight, I'm going to get a goodly amount of epoxy squeezing out. With that in mind, I have wet paper towels and Q-tips standing by

The fix will be completed tonight and I'll wait until tomorrow to road test. Feeling pretty confident, however, now that I've found a bonding agent specifically for plastic to CF.

DD
Old 02-14-22, 04:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I guess the trick might come down to how you'll get the repair resin to 0enetrate the CF we've on the saddle shell and the rail receiver piece.
Maybe you can use one of those counter top food packaging vacuum bag system over the repair area to "push in" the resin into the surrounding structure?
Apparently that wasn't the process used in the initial manufacture, so I'm not concerned about it. From the evidence the top outer shell is the only CF that has pre-preg resin; the polycarbonate anchors were apparently epoxied to the shell, then covered with a finishing, non-pre-preg layer of CF. Not sure how it was attached - but I'm assuming a light film of epoxy over the entire underside of the shell.

This photo shows the strands loose from the the one large piece I removed from the front anchor point; I was able to undo them by hand, which suggests more than ever to me that this layer served in an aesthetic capacity rather than structural:

DD
Old 02-14-22, 06:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

All done. Gonna give it 24 hours before I whip out some 120 grit, do some cleanup of excess epoxy, and put everything back together.

I used a goodly amount of epoxy in the shell, then pressed in the anchor. A goodly amount of epoxy squeegeed out around the edges - which gave me an idea: why not add a bead/fillet of epoxy to both the front and rear of the anchor? Figured they'd serve as strengthening fillets in the absence of the original CF layer. A little ugly, but strength is the important factor:

Should be able to put it back together tomorrow morning and - fingers crossed - have a successful apres-ride report in the afternoon.

DD
Old 02-14-22, 06:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Just run bolts through the saddle to clamp that bit on.

And keep in the rivets while riding.

Old 02-14-22, 07:12 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
How many grams did that add?
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 02-14-22, 07:23 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Must be that the mechanic who takes care of the equipment for the professional team that pays you to ride should be able to just put a new replacement saddle on your bicycle
Likes For TPL:
Old 02-14-22, 09:08 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by fender1

First off I am glad you are ok and this didn't cause any kind of accident or injury.

I would adhere the frame to the saddle with carbon specific tape and then encase the area in PC7 epoxy.

As others have mentioned, given the amoUnt of flex in the design and the fact that it has already failed once, I would not go too far in investing in a repair. See if you can get it stable and take it for a ride.

If I were faced with this decison, I would get a new saddle. Failures of this type when repaired, give me the heebe jeebees. Be safe!
Thanks! When the front anchor cracked the saddle hardly moved. It was only when I came off the saddle and coasted to a stop that the top popped off! Also happy that the crack(s) didn't extend to the main shell - or I'd have probably suffered some sort of trauma.

I've wanted to keep the monetary outlay low for the reasons you've pointed out (plus I'm cheap!); giving a fix a go makes monetary sense, and I'll be sensible with the test run as well. Hoping my extra strengthening with the epoxy makes this at least as reliable as it was before - or perhaps even more so.

DD
Old 02-14-22, 09:09 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by dedhed
Probably too old - early 90s? In any case, I'm not the original purchaser, so...

DD
Old 02-14-22, 09:58 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by gugie
Just run bolts through the saddle to clamp that bit on.

And keep in the rivets while riding.

I think I need to stay off the rivet to extend the life of this saddle now

It'll take some time to feel comfortable that this fix has worked, but for now it sure seems solid enough. Tomorrow's test run will tell the tale.

DD
Old 02-14-22, 09:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
How many grams did that add?
Dunno, but if the extra stuff translates into extra strength I don't care in the slightest!

DD
Old 02-14-22, 10:02 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by TPL

Must be that the mechanic who takes care of the equipment for the professional team that pays you to ride should be able to just put a new replacement saddle on your bicycle
Ha ha - I'm just an old hack trying to feel as young as I can for as long as I can

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-14-22, 10:46 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,996 Posts
Apparently that wasn't the process used in the initial manufacture, so I'm not concerned about it. From the evidence the top outer shell is the only CF that has pre-preg resin; the polycarbonate anchors were apparently epoxied to the shell, then covered with a finishing, non-pre-preg layer of CF. Not sure how it was attached - but I'm assuming a light film of epoxy over the entire underside of the shell.

This photo shows the strands loose from the the one large piece I removed from the front anchor point; I was able to undo them by hand, which suggests more than ever to me that this layer served in an aesthetic capacity rather than structural:

DD
Resin starved.
Old 02-14-22, 11:22 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Re-assembly complete:

Saddle is back on the bike, ready to go for tomorrow. I have high hopes - hopefully they aren't misplaced.

Flexibility has been retained by using silicone in the rear anchors and leaving the front U-bend floating. Both are per original spec. I think the additional epoxy will result in a stronger bond between the forward anchor and the shell, so perhaps I've made this a touch stronger in this area than the original. Fingers crossed; again, finding CF repair specific JB Weld has my confidence level up higher than it might have been.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-14-22, 11:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat

The reason JB Weld is totally ubiquitous is not because it's "cheap", it is because it works...one of the great things about JB, is that you can get a small and fresh quantity...
Yes, it works - but it was inexpensive, too. The JB Weld was $6.99 and the silicone was $4.99. If this repair lasts, the outlay was $11.98 - only ten bucks more than the cost of a late 70s Beauty Queen

Thanks for the suggestion; I figured on getting some negative feedback about using JB Weld, but I totally agree: it works. That's enough for me.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-15-22, 04:08 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
How does it look on the top? The part that you sit on?
Nice repair btw.
Likes For Millstone:
Old 02-15-22, 05:16 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Millstone

How does it look on the top? The part that you sit on? Nice repair btw.
Thank you!

The top wasn't affected at all:

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.