Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 10:16 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Feel free to direct your comment to whoever posted it.
I did.

Guess what resumes tonight after almost two months of inactivity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4p8GHEqw8
Old 01-30-24, 10:21 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I did.
At YouTube. I don't have anything to due with the title.
Old 01-30-24, 10:34 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

At YouTube. I don't have anything to due with the title.
But you do have something to do with spreading it around.
Old 01-30-24, 10:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
On Sunday the San Diego Bicycle Club had it's annual banquet to celebrate club volunteers and racers. SDBC has nearly 1,000 members, and considerable funding and volunteer contributions to grow/promote bicycling and bicycle racing in San Diego. I've been a SDBC racer for 6 or 7 years and on the BoD for a couple now as the Men's 1/2/3 team director. As such, I said some words regarding our participation, notable results, and new recruits that we are excited about for this season.

This year I took home the men's BAR award for best all around racer! Pretty neat to have my name on a club heirloom trophy that goes back to 1949:

lets goooo!

Receiving my handsome prize with the club president

Women's team always the life of the party!

Last edited by TMonk; 01-30-24 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 10:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
also hope the diagnosis for the FIL isn't too grim bampilot06
Old 01-30-24, 11:08 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by TMonk
On Sunday the San Diego Bicycle Club had it's annual banquet to celebrate club volunteers and racers. SDBC has nearly 1,000 members, and considerable funding and volunteer contributions to grow/promote bicycle and bicycle racing in San Diego. I've been a SDBC racer for 6 or 7 years and on the BoD for a couple now as the Men's 1/2/3 team director. As such, I said some words regarding our participation, notable results, and new recruits that we are excited about for this season.

This year I took home the men's BAR award for best all around racer! Pretty neat to have my name on a club heirloom trophy that goes back to 1949:

lets goooo!

Receiving my handsome prize with the club president

Women's team always the life of the party!
Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-31-24, 12:31 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
He went to the doctor and they did some kind of scan of his chest area. I’m a little confused about the details, I am not sure how many scans he has had or what kind of scans they were. The first time, it appeared he has had multiple heart attacks. He didn’t think that was possible so I guess they did another kind of scan, and it showed issues with his lungs. He got the results today and it shows some bulges that shouldn’t be there.

What I find interesting, is the doctor is not saying cancer, nor does he want to do a biopsy yet. From whatI understand they want to do another scan to see if it has grown before they do a biopsy.

I don’t really understand cancer or how it works, or how they can even test for it, but I would think if you see a growth or multiple growths in an area that it shouldn’t be you would want to do the test for cancer instead of waiting to see.

...the physician of your choice can tell you much more, but I recently became interested in cancer scans after a couple of malignant melanoma diagnoses, treated by surgical removal. Because it can be an aggressive form of cancer, there's always a chance it might metastasize and end up in other locations/organs. Which, if it happens, you're better off finding out as early as you can.

So there are these PET scans they do, both with and without a radioactive contrast dye. They use a big tube like chamber, that looks pretty expensive. In appearance, it's not unlike an MRI tube, but the procedure is not quite as noisy or discombobulating. Because cancer cells are hyperactive in their metabolic needs, the dye mix of a radioactive element bound up with some sort of glucose substance gets taken up in larger amounts at certain foci...which might be cancer cells, or might just be something like arthritic inflammation. Or even some other thing like healing a recent injury. That's why the radiologists get paid big bucks to interpret them.

If you're old, like me (or your FIL), there are going to be a lot of abnormalities, some of which need further investigation. Depending on how invasive the investigation is (a lung biopsy is pretty invasive), it's often decided just to wait and compare with a later scan to look for changes. In my case, one full body PET scan yielded several things that needed further investigation, further tests like MRI and ultrasound, and I still haven't done the fine needle biopsy of the two thyroid nodules (cysts ?), they picked up on a subsequent ultrasound. The radiologist who interpreted my tests did mention that my brain looked a a little fried (mild white matter disease), but not bad considering the age of the body associated with it. So these mysterious "growths", might have alternative explanations.

I'm kind of amazed at how the whole radiology testing field has progressed, in the years since I worked in a Navy hospital, back in the '69-'70. And I guess where I live there are a couple of pretty big cancer specialty facilities, and there's some research going on over at UC Davis, and even at Sutter Medical here. I feel like some kind of 13th Century peasant farmer, looking at a world of magic and sorcery.

But it's way early in the process for your wife to be worrying about something she can't do much about anyway. If she's that worried, someone (you or her) ought to be directly communicating with the physician who is ordering the testing, and maybe surveying the local scene where FIL lives, to see who is who in the medical oncology world there.
Old 01-31-24, 05:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I used to be a base model kinda guy, when base model meant manual transmission and hand-cranked windows.
The Saturn is the base model SL. Only options I included was passenger side rear mirror and A/C.

Manual steering too, which is fine except a bit of an upper body workout when parallel parking.
Old 01-31-24, 06:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
The last of January, and this winter season is still putzing around. Sad.

SMFH
Old 01-31-24, 07:07 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Find the invoice price for the car equipped as you want it. Then subtract any buyer incentives. Then subtract any dealer incentives. The net number is your starting point.

Say you think it is reasonable in the market to buy the car for $100 over dealer’s cost. Add $100 to your starting number. Negotiate up to the “I won’t pay more than $X.”

If you start with MSRP, you don’t ever know where to star.

lots of articles online advising how to get great deals on cars.

what’s reasonable for a dealer to make on a car.
Old 01-31-24, 07:08 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by BillyD

SMFH
So wife agreed waking up at 3 am is dumb. So today I’m gunna try riding around 9 am as soon as I take the kid 1 to school. It’s supposed to be 42 degrees, increasing to 50 by the time I am dumb. 40-50 is the hardest tempterstures to dress for.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-31-24, 07:10 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by rjones28

Thats a big trophy. Congrats. My participation trophy was not even 1/4 of that size.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-31-24, 07:13 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the physician of your choice can tell you much more, but I recently became interested in cancer scans after a couple of malignant melanoma diagnoses, treated by surgical removal. Because it can be an aggressive form of cancer, there's always a chance it might metastasize and end up in other locations/organs. Which, if it happens, you're better off finding out as early as you can.

So there are these PET scans they do, both with and without a radioactive contrast dye. They use a big tube like chamber, that looks pretty expensive. In appearance, it's not unlike an MRI tube, but the procedure is not quite as noisy or discombobulating. Because cancer cells are hyperactive in their metabolic needs, the dye mix of a radioactive element bound up with some sort of glucose substance gets taken up in larger amounts at certain foci...which might be cancer cells, or might just be something like arthritic inflammation. Or even some other thing like healing a recent injury. That's why the radiologists get paid big bucks to interpret them.

If you're old, like me (or your FIL), there are going to be a lot of abnormalities, some of which need further investigation. Depending on how invasive the investigation is (a lung biopsy is pretty invasive), it's often decided just to wait and compare with a later scan to look for changes. In my case, one full body PET scan yielded several things that needed further investigation, further tests like MRI and ultrasound, and I still haven't done the fine needle biopsy of the two thyroid nodules (cysts ?), they picked up on a subsequent ultrasound. The radiologist who interpreted my tests did mention that my brain looked a a little fried (mild white matter disease), but not bad considering the age of the body associated with it. So these mysterious "growths", might have alternative explanations.

I'm kind of amazed at how the whole radiology testing field has progressed, in the years since I worked in a Navy hospital, back in the '69-'70. And I guess where I live there are a couple of pretty big cancer specialty facilities, and there's some research going on over at UC Davis, and even at Sutter Medical here. I feel like some kind of 13th Century peasant farmer, looking at a world of magic and sorcery.

But it's way early in the process for your wife to be worrying about something she can't do much about anyway. If she's that worried, someone (you or her) ought to be directly communicating with the physician who is ordering the testing, and maybe surveying the local scene where FIL lives, to see who is who in the medical oncology world there.

appreciate you explaining it to me. Makes me feel better in a sense and I will pass it on to my wife. She was convinced that because he is in his 70s they just don’t care. I told her I didn’t think that was the case but the idea didn’t sound to far off base. I do wish they would speed the process up just a notch, but I supposed there is a method to the madness.
Old 01-31-24, 07:17 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
They process people at night?
Yes. They’re called pop-up sites. This one is in a law enforcement supply store that does this and other types of identity type certification after regular business hours. Peoria has one other that is in a AAA Travel office.

Old 01-31-24, 07:26 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD

SMFH
Yes, we’re in the 40s for the next several days, way above normal which is like 26°.

Old 01-31-24, 07:45 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
When I flew Back East last week there was a screen that showed waiting times:

TSA Pre: 8 min.
Regular: 2 min
Which airport? Some make a much bigger difference. DEN is a mess. Ditto AUS, actually.
Old 01-31-24, 07:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
I finally did get verified, 3+ hours after I started. I think they checked everything but my criminal background. "Trusted Referee." Please.

wut benefits
Congratulations. I hope they know what they're doing.

Years ago, I was investigated for Top Secret security clearance. It took weeks. They talked to neighbors, people at work, and old friends, and they still gave it to me. There were no "benefits" and I didn't learn any secrets you couldn't find out with a Google search.
Old 01-31-24, 07:48 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by genejockey
When I flew Back East last week there was a screen that showed waiting times:

TSA Pre: 8 min.
Regular: 2 min
Seen that too, but it's still nice not having to de-shoe. The Global Entry part is pretty good too.
Old 01-31-24, 07:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Seen that too, but it's still nice not having to de-shoe. The Global Entry part is pretty good too.
Verifly is often faster.
Old 01-31-24, 08:08 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Never negotiate from MSRP. Negotiate from invoice, holdbacks, and incentives.
On my most recent purchase/lease of the ‘22 4Runner there was little negotiating to be had. It was a post pandemic sellers market during a chip shortage. There was no selecting from inventory, there was no ordering, there was only agreeing to accept what was on the boat coming across the pond, or look elsewhere. And all the dealers were in the same boat, no pun intended. I felt lucky to have finally gotten what I was seeking for months, a midnight blue SR5 model, the only one on the ship coming to this dealer.

It had extra **** on it I did not want but had to accept anyway. The skid plate was no big deal, I just left it in place. But the roof basket I removed because it’s an eyesore and I’ll never use it. The blacked out wheels definitely had to go, and I even had to pay extra to have them swapped out. I kind of felt like I had been molested by the inmate in the cell next to me by the time I drove away with my new ride. But I felt lucky that my monthly nut was basically the same as my previous vehicle.
Old 01-31-24, 08:14 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Verifly is often faster.
Yeah, there's "Clear" too. I have some resistance to paying private parties for government "services."
Old 01-31-24, 08:25 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Btdt. It happens fast!
it always feels fast when you dont notice it happening.
But kneeling on ice covered fine gravel for 3.5 hours isn't going to do anyone any favors. They are lots better today. Most of the muscle soreness in my back and glutes is gone which is a blessing in itself. Can't wait to put the new roof on carpet stripping it! Fml
Old 01-31-24, 08:28 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Prayers to you and yours Bam
Old 01-31-24, 08:32 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Heated wheel is nice. The new Audi has it. I’ve had about 5 other cars with it. It spoils you.
Why? In Texas?
Old 01-31-24, 08:33 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Yes, we’re in the 40s for the next several days, way above normal which is like 26°.
We're four feet behind normal snowfall at this point in the season. Same as last year. Sad.
Likes For rjones28:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.