Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Me vs Breed of Peace (pitbull)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 03:11 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding today up a climb pulling my daughter in a trailer when a guy was walking his Breed of Peace down the hill. It tore the leash out of it's owners hands and hauled ass straight at us all teeth and snarls. I'm doing maybe 8mph up this climb at this point and there's simply no where I could go. If I got off the bike the damn dog could have gone after my kid in the trailer.

Thank god I charged up my AirZound yesterday!

I laid on that horn, the dog skidded on it's butt trying to head in the other direction, and I then chased the damn thing all the way back to it's owner with my horn blasting whenever it slowed down. The owner grabbed the leash and apologized profusely as the dog hid behind him and I kept pedaling up the hill.

Damn I love the AirZound!

Kevin
Old 09-12-10, 03:13 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hope ya told him sorry wouldn't have cut it if the dog had laid into you and that if he cared not to watch his animal destroyed to take better responsibility for handling a dangerous animal in public.

yadda yadda!
Old 09-12-10, 03:16 PM
CitiZen
3speed

Bikes: Breezer Citizen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Breed of Peace?" What kind of euphemism is that?
Old 09-12-10, 03:17 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd have stopped to talk to him about his ill behaved dog but as I had my heart rate going above 180 I wasn't doing much talking and I really didn't want to start off on a hill again.

Hopefully he'll understand how close his dog came to being a statistic.
Old 09-12-10, 03:18 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CitiZen
"Breed of Peace?" What kind of euphemism is that?
Breed of Peace is an Internet colloquial term for "pitbull". If you look at the statistics of deadly dog attacks, the largest number of them are pitbulls or mixed breeds with some pitbull in it.
Old 09-12-10, 03:20 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iconicflux
I'd have stopped to talk to him about his ill behaved dog but as I had my heart rate going above 180 I wasn't doing much talking and I really didn't want to start off on a hill again.

Hopefully he'll understand how close his dog came to being a statistic.
Stopping is the important part, tell them that the dog being destroyed would be only the beginning of his trouble - as you would sue him.

I have had good luck scaring the **** into some good dog owners gone bad. As for the bad owners, no need to fret for them.
Old 09-12-10, 03:33 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breed of Peace is an Internet colloquial term for "pitbull". If you look at the statistics of deadly dog attacks, the largest number of them are pitbulls or mixed breeds with some pitbull in it.
Funny, when you Google "breed of peace" with the terms "pit bull" and/or "pitbull", you get only a few pages of hits, most of which are from Free Republic. Looks like more of a freeper colloquialism than anything, which would explain why it sounds so stupid.
Old 09-12-10, 03:35 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the dog had actually been off a leash that may have been more important but in this case the owner was fairly old and the dog's sudden charge simply got the best of him. I saw the leash get torn out of his hands from about 40' away.

Yeah, the outcome may have been the same if the dog didn't stop but it wasn't as though the owner took no action to control his dog. The dog was simply stronger and faster than him. I guess I could have told him that one of those mouth attached harnesses would curb the full on charge if I had stopped.

Perhaps next time I'll have the forethought to stop and talk to the owner about methods of controlling his dog's charge.
Old 09-12-10, 03:36 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"breed of peace" actually originated on fark.com as far as I'm aware.
Old 09-12-10, 03:39 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
Funny, when you Google "breed of peace" with the terms "pit bull" and/or "pitbull", you get only a few pages of hits, most of which are from Free Republic..
Damn it. Leave it to some lame grassroots conservative group to ruin a good phrase. I shall have to find something new to call pit-bulls so that people don't associate me with freepers.

I feel dirty now...
Old 09-12-10, 03:51 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"breed of peace" actually originated on fark.com as far as I'm aware.
Given how often the 4chan/somethingawful/fark Troll Militia trolls Free Republic, it's not surprising that there's some bleedthrough between them.

The last dog that lunged at me was a German Shepard. I didn't feel the need to insult the entire breed with some sarcastic title. I wasn't even mad at the dog, just the owner. Temperament has a lot more to do with how a dog is socialized than its breed.
Old 09-12-10, 03:59 PM
lechatmort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every pitbull i've ever seen was friendly and playful, but their strength makes them scary as hell...
Old 09-12-10, 04:11 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You should have reported it as an attack. Next time might be someone without an AirZounds.
Old 09-12-10, 04:34 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lechatmort
Every pitbull i've ever seen was friendly and playful, but their strength makes them scary as hell...
The problem is that sometimes some factor triggers an attack response in them, and once they trigger, you have to pretty much beat them with a bat to get them to rethink.

Glad the airzounds worked for you. I think I'll order one up, I've been thinking about it for years and in the last few weeks I've been getting close calls, after years of no problems at all.
Old 09-12-10, 04:39 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lechatmort
What you don't see can't hurt you?
Old 09-12-10, 05:24 PM
sanitycheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn it. Leave it to some lame grassroots conservative group to ruin a good phrase. I shall have to find something new to call pit-bulls so that people don't associate me with freepers.

I feel dirty now...
Heh. I got what you meant in your original post...but just so you know, even without having heard the phrase before or associated it with freepers, I did immediately assume it was an offshoot of a particular religious slur, and thought you were a bigot.

I understand now that you are not, but even if the phrase isn't from freep, it'll probably get you misunderstood.

EDIT: Oh, and nice job with the AirZound!
Old 09-12-10, 06:04 PM
MitchL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a dog's temperament is product of their raising not their breed. unfortunately bad people are often attracted to the strong breeds, and raise them as bad dogs. i have two pit bull mixes rescued from the pound that are amazing.

cyclists have many stories about being chased by every breed of dog.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-12-10 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 06:08 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sanitycheck
Heh. I got what you meant in your original post...but just so you know, even without having heard the phrase before or associated it with freepers, I did immediately assume it was an offshoot of a particular religious slur, and thought you were a bigot.

I understand now that you are not, but even if the phrase isn't from freep, it'll probably get you misunderstood.
I guess it could have been taken to mean many things. I mean... I could very well use the same term about truck drivers. It would seem that a large proportion of auto v. bike incidents involve some "rural" acting guy in a truck. Infact, I'd even go so far as to claim that the majority of them involve males between 30 and 40 years old driving a white truck. But that's just me...
Old 09-12-10, 06:22 PM
skye

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's an ******* comment for you: My wife and dog were once brutally attacked by a neighbor's "well-trained" pit bull. Injured my wife and nearly killed my dog.

Frankly, if another pitbull comes within 20 feet of me or mine, he's dead.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-12-10 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 06:26 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
Here's an ******* comment for you: My wife and dog were once brutally attacked by a neighbor's "well-trained" pit bull. Injured my wife and nearly killed my dog.

Frankly, if another pitbull comes within 20 feet of me or mine, he's dead.
Ehh.. I hear ya skye.. but let it go..

It's not the dog's fault that there are so many puppy mills out there and people that don't know how to raise and/or train animals. I don't dislike pitbulls for being dogs with a reputation. I dislike them specifically because of the poor breeding, raising, and training that has caused the breed to become the sum of what causes their reputation.

I feel there are some very good pitbulls out there... unfortunately... there are far more bad ones...
Old 09-12-10, 07:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
don't see how this can go anywhere positive, locking