Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Allegro with "Character"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Allegro with "Character"

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 11:46 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 192 Posts
Thanks for the helpful thread

I am in the process of restoring a 1974(ish) Allegro and this thread has been very helpful. As best as I can figure, mine is a Schweitzermeister model 76 in the “b” configuration with mostly Campy Nuovo Record but with the Stronglight headset and 93 crank. It also has the Weinmann levers and brakes. I’m fairly new so cannot post pictures, yet.
Old 11-19-21, 12:04 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,348 Times in 2,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
I am in the process of restoring a 1974(ish) Allegro and this thread has been very helpful. As best as I can figure, mine is a Schweitzermeister model 76 in the “b” configuration with mostly Campy Nuovo Record but with the Stronglight headset and 93 crank. It also has the Weinmann levers and brakes. I’m fairly new so cannot post pictures, yet.
-----

if you go to your forum member's page over on the right margin there is something identified as "member's albums"

you can post images there without an minimum number of posts requirement

forum members can visit the album and put the images into a discussion thread you create for the cycle

it would be better to create a new thread rather than continue to post on this one

-----
Old 11-20-21, 08:13 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

forgot to mention about shop -

Berkeley Cycle & Toy Co... The Elmwood location operated at the northwest corner of College Avenue and Ashby Avenue.

At core they were a Schwinn shop...

-----
In 1971, my 11th bday present was a green Schwinn Varsity bought there. Grew up on Piedmont Ave btw Elmwood and Webster, right around the corner.

Loved that bike.
Old 10-22-22, 06:08 PM
Allegro Doug

Bikes: early 60's Allegro is my main ride, also own a Trek for off-road, and adopted a friends nice 80's era Bottechia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
newbie question

Hi, and thanks in advance for your patience with this trivial Allegro question...

As a newbie I can't post pictures, but in Retyred's post #29-second picture, above the frame number stamped on the seat lug right next to the bolt, I see a sideways "77".

I have a similar vintage Allegro, frame number 172746, and it has the same sideways 77, and an upright "F". Further, on the other side of my seat lug, I see what looks to me like "72º " and above that degree mark, what looks like a Star of David. What does all this mean?

I've owned this bike since 1974 and only noticed this today. Ordinarily I might have written it off as my enthusiastic imagination hyped up on polish and solvents, but seeing this on another bike here gives me the courage to ask the experts. Thanks in advance for your knowledge!
Old 10-22-22, 07:24 PM
juvela

-----

the 72 mark is from the lug manufacturer (probably BOCAMA) and indicates the angle in degrees between the lug socket for the top tube and the one for the seat tube

the star of David mark may be an indication that the bicycle was licensed in the City of Berkeley, California

back when California had bicycle registration done at the individual city level each city which offered bicycle registration had a symbol unique to itself; the star of David was the symbol for Berkeley

in 1977 the State of California went to a statewide licensing system wherein no matter where in the state a person registered their bicycle it went into the one statewide system

-----
Old 10-23-22, 07:21 AM
Allegro Doug

Bikes: early 60's Allegro is my main ride, also own a Trek for off-road, and adopted a friends nice 80's era Bottechia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

the 72 mark is from the lug manufacturer (probably BOCAMA) and indicates the angle in degrees between the lug socket for the top tube and the one for the seat tube

the star of David mark may be an indication that the bicycle was licensed in the City of Berkeley, California

back when California had bicycle registration done at the individual city level each city which offered bicycle registration had a symbol unique to itself; the star of David was the symbol for Berkeley

in 1977 the State of California went to a statewide licensing system wherein no matter where in the state a person registered their bicycle it went into the one statewide system

-----
Your insightful knowledge is quite remarkable, Juvela! In fact, when I bought the bike from a private party here in Los Angeles, he gave me his "Dealer's Report of Sale" from when he purchased it in 1965 (used)... from Velo Sport, a store in Berkeley, CA. Thanks for the detail!
Old 10-23-22, 09:42 AM
juvela

-----

good to read information of assistance

with date mentioned would expect lug pattern to be the NERVEX Professional or the BOCAMA 14/II, fork crown Vagner PL, Georg Fischer sandcast bottom bracket shell with prominent lip on drive side

the letter F marking you mention may be the initial of the last name of the Berkeley police officer who performed the registration/licensing

the practice of the department was to have one officer who was in charge or bicycle licensing

when they stamped the star symbol into the frame they would also stamp in their initial

the city of Berkeley ceased bicycle licensing some years ago now

it would be better to begin a new forum thread on your example when you are ready rather than continuing here

-----
Old 10-23-22, 10:52 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,133 Posts
As long as this thread is back on page one I can't resist posting a photo of the bike as ridden in this year's Cino. I finally found a nice pair of white Weinmann hoods and modified a modern inner chainring to give me a lower gear.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 04-24-23, 09:34 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
As long as this thread is back on page one I can't resist posting a photo of the bike as ridden in this year's Cino. I finally found a nice pair of white Weinmann hoods and modified a modern inner chainring to give me a lower gear.

Brent
Ooh, man, I totally love your build on this. Well done. The bar tape is a great choice.

I was kind of missing the opportunity to rebuild a Swiss bike after passing this on to you, and recently rebuilt a Mondia to scratch the itch!
Likes For bibliobob: