Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Headset question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 12:00 PM
Vtscott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headset question

I'm taking my bike apart for painting. The drop in sealed bearing headset race only came out with a struggle. Aren't they supposed to just "drop" in? There was some paint that could be in the way.
thanks
Old 04-23-23, 12:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
Are you certain that what you have is supposed to be a drop-in and not a press-fit?
Old 04-23-23, 12:17 PM
Vtscott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you certain that what you have is supposed to be a drop-in and not a press-fit?
are there press fit sealed bearings? The upper bearing came out with minimal effort and another (higher quality) bike I own has bearing that literally fall out.
Old 04-23-23, 01:31 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Vtscott
are there press fit sealed bearings? The upper bearing came out with minimal effort and another (higher quality) bike I own has bearing that literally fall out.
Bearing or race? You started with race.
Old 04-23-23, 02:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
If you are talking about a bearing assembly that the races and bearings are one unit that stay together, then yes I'd think that should be drop in. But wouldn't be bothered if I had to push it in with a firm force or maybe even a light tap with a mallet. A little bit of grime or something could make it not be as easy as drop in.

While you said all the proper stuff, it did get a little confusing to me seeing headset, bearing, race all in a short and brief sentence or two. Plus, I never assume I'm conversing with someone that actually knows what they are talking about. Apparently you do!
Old 04-23-23, 03:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5807 Post(s)
Liked 2,628 Times in 1,459 Posts
Drop in vs press in is easily confirmed by the configuration itself.

Bearings or races which are located radially by the walls of the tube must be pressed in to eliminate the possibility of radial slop.

Bearings which are located by a conical arrangement are drop in and movement is eliminated by headset preload and the conical seat.

So, look at the bearing and how it pockets into the frame and you'll know.
Likes For FBinNY: