Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire won't fit perfectly

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire won't fit perfectly

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 04:26 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tire won't fit perfectly

So I've put my tires on my new Fulcrum Racing 7's. Now I've noticed that when I ride I feel small bumps. After checking my tires I noticed the same issue as I used to have on my Mavic CXP22's.
At some point at the rim the tire sits slightly deeper into the rim than it should. On my CXP's I was able to push a bit against the walls of my tire, and it would sit perfectly. Now, after pushing tire walls for about an hour, my thumbs hurt and I still have the same problem...

Anyone have a clue?
Old 10-15-10, 06:01 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Are you sure the rim tape is the right size for the wheels? For example, on aluminum Zipps you can't use cloth tape, the tire wont' seat. You use a really thin tape (Zipp makes it along with other companies) and then the tire will seat. I am going to guess that you are using cloth rim tape.

Or...I am assuming that you put the tube and tire on, slightly inflate, recheck and adjust if needed, then finish.
Old 10-15-10, 06:05 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
couple suggestions - first, use a thinner tube, make sure its the correct size for the tire you're using and not too heavy weight, second is the rim strip issue mentioned above, also, make sure its properly centered on the rim. third, a rag wetted with soapy water run along the tire bead right before installing goes a long way to seating frustrating tires. sometimes, a tight fitting tire will just have too much friction to find its perfect seating without a little lubricant.

what tires?
Old 10-15-10, 06:48 AM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The rim tape came with the wheels and was pre-fit by Fulcrum themselves.

I'm using a Vittoria Rubino Pro at the back, and a Continental Ultra Sport at the front.

Tubes are Schwalbe 700C tubes, compatible with 23-622 ETRTO tires (700x23C or 28"x7/8). I've been using these all the time and they always fit without a problem.
Old 10-15-10, 07:31 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,244 Times in 1,506 Posts
Try inflating the tires just a little. Then press the tire with your thumbs so that it catches the baed all around and then inflat fully.
Old 10-15-10, 09:32 AM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Try inflating the tires just a little. Then press the tire with your thumbs so that it catches the baed all around and then inflat fully.
Did that, didn't fix it.
Actually made it worse, now my thumbs hurt even more
Old 10-15-10, 10:00 AM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not likely you'd get two bad tires, but bad ones do occasionally come through. I've had three or four in 40 years. If the soap-and-water lube somebody mentioned above doesn't help, try mounting the tires on other rims (either swap them on your bike or use a spare or borrowed wheel) to isolate the problem.
I never did figure out the issue, but one time I had a Panaracer that wouldn't stay on my rear wheel. Same model rim and tire on the front worked fine. On a whim, after the rear blew off for the third time, I swapped the tires front to rear. No more problems. I'm pretty sure it wasn't operator error, because I've surely mounted a couple of hundred tires over the years.
Old 10-15-10, 10:24 AM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
It's not likely you'd get two bad tires, but bad ones do occasionally come through. I've had three or four in 40 years. If the soap-and-water lube somebody mentioned above doesn't help, try mounting the tires on other rims (either swap them on your bike or use a spare or borrowed wheel) to isolate the problem.
I never did figure out the issue, but one time I had a Panaracer that wouldn't stay on my rear wheel. Same model rim and tire on the front worked fine. On a whim, after the rear blew off for the third time, I swapped the tires front to rear. No more problems. I'm pretty sure it wasn't operator error, because I've surely mounted a couple of hundred tires over the years.
The Continental Ultra Sport was on my old front wheel and fitted perfectly, so I doubt there's an actual issue with the tire. Besides that I've been using Vittoria Rubino Pro's now for about 2 years and have had this problem with each tire. Though, unlike on my new wheelset, I have been able to push the walls with my thumbs and make the tire pop into place.

Still think it's a strange situation...

I'll ride it to work tomorrow, and get the tires off (I'm alone at the office so the boss won't notice ). I'll give the rim a soap job and see if the tires pop into place then.
Old 10-15-10, 11:08 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Could it be bad rims?
Old 10-15-10, 11:21 AM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Could it be bad rims?
Everything's possible. But I don't think there's a big chance they put 2 bad rims together in 1 wheelset.
Old 10-15-10, 11:37 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Make sure the tube isn't pinched between the tire and the rim.

On my Worksman rims (26x2.125), there's some slop between the rim and the bead. If you just slap everything together, it'll hold up alright, but the tire will be a smidgen offcenter. When you first assemble it, though, you can shift the tire around and get it centered and then inflate. This assumes the tire is not standing up. I don't know if that would help (or even be possible) in your case, though.
Old 10-18-10, 01:36 PM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh wow...

I just had some time to work at the front wheel. So I deflated the tube, soaped up the space between the rim and the tire, inflated it up to 8 bar and I could actually hear the tire pop into place.

*pop*

Had a look with the wheel attached to the bike, and it's as good as it will get. Looks awesome. Should ride awesome as well tomorrow.

Will work at the rear wheel tomorrow morning when I find some time, or otherwise I will ride it into the shower at work and do the job there when everybody's gone home

Thanks so much for the advice guys!