Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tire Selection—Overwhelmed!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tire Selection—Overwhelmed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 10:35 AM
ACHiPo 

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Schwalbe G-One RS yet. It’s well-known for its rolling speed.

A big consideration is how we ride. My need for a front tire that’s grippy in the dirt is driven by my frequent singletrack riding, and the sand-over-hardpack conditions that are typical in my area. If your demands are different, you might not need the same level of dirt traction as me.
Thanks. I'd seen the Schwalbe several months ago, but forgotten about it. And I thought the Contis were expensive!

No single track for me, just hard pack and gravel trails, with maybe 1/3 paved roads/trails. I don't need extreme traction, but sure-footedness on crushed and river gravel would be good.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-12-23 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For ACHiPo:
Old 12-12-23, 10:59 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by ACHiPo
Thanks. I'd seen the Schwalbe several months ago, but forgotten about it. And I thought the Contis were expensive!

No single track for me, just hard pack and gravel trails, with maybe 1/3 paved roads/trails. I don't need extreme traction, but sure-footedness on crushed and river gravel would be good.
In those conditions, I expect there are a lot of tires that will suit your needs very well. If you're not racing, the difference of a couple of watts per tire is pretty much irrelevant.

I regularly ride my gravel bike on some of the same dirt roads and singletrack that I ride my MTB. Having a front tire that gives me confident and predictable traction is important to the way I ride. For you, sharp front-end bite is probably not nearly as critical.

Enjoy the journey of finding the right tires for you.
Old 12-12-23, 12:37 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Aside from the Schwalbe G-One RS mentioned there is also the Specialized Pathfinder Pro which comes in 38mm and 42mm widths, has a smooth center ridge and side knobs. It's a tire you will see on some of the winning bikes at the bigger gravel races as it rolls well and has great puncture protection though it is not the lightest tire.

I've been riding the 38mm width for a while now at about 40psi rear 36 psi front. I don't feel like I give up anything on smooth road surfaces - it's fast and provides good traction on the dirt as well. I ride everything from road to semi-technical singletrack and even some light rock gardens and these have held up really well.

I'm going to throw on some Pathfinder Pro 42's that I just got for a bit more volume, but I have been wanting to try the Schwalbe tire in the 40mm width too next year sometime just to check them out.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 12-12-23, 02:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I've used the Donnelly X'plore USH, which has been great for loaded touring of the Erie Canal and similar hardpack dirt/gravel trails, strong enough to ride around NYC without puncture issues but quick enough to be an enjoyable all around tire. It looks like they're replacing it with the Strada USH which has more of a herringbone wide tread, I'll have to check it out when my current pair wears out.
Old 12-13-23, 11:55 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Schwalbe G-One RS yet. It’s well-known for its rolling speed.

agree - appears to be a great tire and one of the fastest

on my ‘list’ - but a challenge to find at a good (cheap) price (new or used)

some of the tires we have I’ve purchased used - and some with sealant residue (from being mounted tubeless - although every time I remove the residue I say it’s the last time lol) … have not found a deal on G-One RS (yet)

Last edited by t2p; 12-13-23 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 12:07 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Remember what ever tire you get to inspect it inside and out. Especially the bead thickness. I would suggest the Continental Ride tour...

Amazon
Old 12-13-23, 12:08 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Aside from the Schwalbe G-One RS mentioned there is also the Specialized Pathfinder Pro which comes in 38mm and 42mm widths, has a smooth center ridge and side knobs. It's a tire you will see on some of the winning bikes at the bigger gravel races as it rolls well and has great puncture protection though it is not the lightest tire.

S Works Pathfinder weight is not bad / actually relatively good - the pair we have weigh around 430g or so (approx - one weighs 425g and other weighs 440g)

S Works version can be pricey - but got a used pair with sealant residue ( light brown / orange in color - might have been orange seal - much more difficult to remove than the thinner white stuff I’ve removed )

( in this case the effort was justified - paid a whopping .99 cents for the pair plus shipping .. was the only bidder )
Old 12-13-23, 05:47 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I'm glad so many of you are happy with the Conti Terra Speeds. They are a nice riding and fast rolling tire, but no durability for me. I can wear out a rear tire in under 700 miles. Granted, I'm a bigger cyclist that climbs a lot.

I've been very happy with the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H. Fast rolling tire with much better durability for me than the Conti option. Not good for mud however. Great on hardpack, gravel, and pavement.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 12-13-23, 08:17 PM
ACHiPo 

Picked up my wheels today: 700c Velocity Cliffhangers with 36h Shimano hubs and DT spokes. A bit heavier and wider (24mm) than I would prefer, but the price was right and they seem to be sturdy wheels and set up for tubeless.

My best estimate is that there is a max of 42 mm where the max tire width will be between the chain stays. I'm guessing that means I should be looking for 35 - 38 mm tires instead of 40s, narrower if I want fenders? What impact will the wider rim ID have on max tire width?

The rim outside width is a bit over 30 mm and the inside width is 25 mm to give some sense of scale. The inside width of the chain stays is 41 mm where I estimate the max tire width will be.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-13-23 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-14-23, 01:09 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
A wheel having an inner width of 25 mm is fairly wide and a tire mounted thereon may have an actual width that > its nominal width.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-14-23, 08:46 AM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
A wheel having an inner width of 25 mm is fairly wide and a tire mounted thereon may have an actual width that > its nominal width.
Thanks. After I posted here I found a couple articles talking about rim width and its effect on tire width. It seems I should probably go for a 35 mm tire as the tire will be 1-2 mm wider on the 24 mm rim than on an 18 mm rim.
Likes For ACHiPo:
Old 12-14-23, 12:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Thanks. After I posted here I found a couple articles talking about rim width and its effect on tire width. It seems I should probably go for a 35 mm tire as the tire will be 1-2 mm wider on the 24 mm rim than on an 18 mm rim.
And you may be limited by the pictured calipers and also have to account for knobs.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-14-23, 01:57 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
If you'd be looking for something a little more on the reasonable side, I'd suggest the American Classic Aggregate. Similar tread to the Schwalbe G Ones, without the price. Decent reviews of this particular tire. American Classic Aggregate
Old 12-14-23, 02:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

With that frame color, a tan wall tire would look sharp!
Old 12-14-23, 02:08 PM
ACHiPo 

Hmmm I'm planning on black wall, but will definitely noodle on tan (or maybe transparent) sidewalls. I have a tan/honey saddle and am planning on tan bar wraps. My original plan was to strip the paint and wrap the head tube in pearl white and DT, ST, TT in blue or maroon leaving the lugs, BB, and rear triangle chrome. The scratched up paint and chrome have grown on me since getting the bike in person.
Old 12-14-23, 02:12 PM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
If you'd be looking for something a little more on the reasonable side, I'd suggest the American Classic Aggregate. Similar tread to the Schwalbe G Ones, without the price. Decent reviews of this particular tire. American Classic Aggregate
Interesting. Never heard of American Classic before. Tread pattern kinda looks like the Continental Terra Speed, which I've found for not-crazy-money (and even cheaper if I go tan/transparent sidewalls). Thanks.
Old 12-14-23, 02:16 PM
ACHiPo 

And you may be limited by the pictured calipers and also have to account for knobs.
I think the calipers should be ok with up to 40s with quick release on the levers.
Old 12-14-23, 07:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Interesting. Never heard of American Classic before. Tread pattern kinda looks like the Continental Terra Speed, which I've found for not-crazy-money (and even cheaper if I go tan/transparent sidewalls). Thanks.
Terra Speed over American Classic options every singe time. Even at $15 more per tire.
I have used 2 different AC tires and my current main road bike has AC tires. They are fine, but their appeal 2 years ago always the super low cost. At this point, the value just isn't there since costs have jumped up to a level where many other options sit.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-14-23, 09:12 PM
ACHiPo 

Ding ding ding we have a winner! A pair of new cream sidewall Continental Terra Speed ProTection 35s for $70.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Now, to find a compact crankset…
Likes For ACHiPo:
Old 12-15-23, 11:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

As much as I like my current Pirelli H/M combination, I'm always curious to try other things. I have pulled the trigger on 40mm Tufo Thundero and Swampero, sticking with my pattern of using different tread patterns for front and rear. BRR tests show a bit better numbers compared with the Pirellis, with similar durability scores. It also looks like it will drop 50g+ per tire. I'll post a new thread about them after I get to ride them.
Old 12-15-23, 01:45 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Ben Delaney talks about tires often on his YouTube channel and has a couple of videos dedicated to specifically to gravel tires including a video which has a gravel pro give his feedback on the tires. Besides being a long time product tester and bike journalist Ben races as well. Both the Pathfinder Pro and the Schwalbe G-One RS are on his list:

Likes For KJ43:
Old 12-17-23, 11:24 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Seeing a bike in this state, with future parts laid out, and scratching my head to figure out how its going ta get done...

Gets Me Excited... Enjoy!

Old 12-17-23, 01:40 PM
ACHiPo 

Originally Posted by KJ43
Ben Delaney talks about tires often on his YouTube channel and has a couple of videos dedicated to specifically to gravel tires including a video which has a gravel pro give his feedback on the tires. Besides being a long time product tester and bike journalist Ben races as well. Both the Pathfinder Pro and the Schwalbe G-One RS are on his list:

My Top 5 Gravel Tires

The best gravel tires: Pro Alex Howes tests 18 models
Thanks for these! I subscribed to the channel.
Old 12-17-23, 01:52 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by zandoval
Seeing a bike in this state, with future parts laid out, and scratching my head to figure out how its going ta get done...

Gets Me Excited... Enjoy!

For me, this is when procrastination kicks in.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-17-23, 02:17 PM
ACHiPo 

For me, this is when procrastination kicks in.
Well, I’m traveling visiting family so have plenty of downtime to search for parts. Procrastination will be a challenge if I don’t make progress before I start traveling internationally for work again in Jan or get stuck finding the right components to complete the build.

I was stoked this morning when I found a site with all kinds of well-priced cranksets and parts, only to find the site to be a notorious scammer site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.