Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

DIY how to add standard rear derailleur hanger to Tern Link

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 02:20 PM
OndrejP_SK

Bikes: 3 x 700c with drops and 2 x 26'' with flats

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Tern Link (and many other Tern and Dahon models) bikes come with a proprietary rear derailleur mount for what they call Neos rear derailleur. This item costs $60 and and is about the quality of Shimano Acera. If you break one while travelling, good luck finding one in a shop. One exception is Dahon Speed, which comes with this Neos derailleur too, but has also a standard mount - that's what I call future-proof design.

That's exactly why I decided to modify my bike by adding a standard rear derailleur hook. I like how the Neos doesn't stick from the profile of the bike, but I want to be able to use a regular road rear derailleur. This becomes a necessity also if you want to use a double front chain-ring - the Neos derailleur simply doesn't have enough capacity to pull chain when you drop to the small chain-ring and anything smaller than the largest 2 sprockets. (40+52 front and 12-32 rear cassette).

All I needed was a replacement rear derailleur hanger for aluminum frames. I chose one attached using two M4 screws. I bought 2 for $5 from ebay.

Tools needed are a large flat metal file and 4mm drill bit.

I filed the replacement derailleur hanger to fit the frame, then marked the 2 holes and drilled the frame dropouts. The frame dropout also needs to be slightly filed to make it completely flat. The biggest problem was drilling the countersunk hole on the inside of the dropout. It's not easily accessed so I had to use a countersink drill bit and turned it by hand. The fingers hurt me for 3 days

Filed the replacement hanger (slightly also the frame, but it is not necessary)

Just two 4mm holes don't weaken the dropout too much. Here you can see also what needs to be filed (around the dropout where the QR nut would touch the frame).

Viewed from the back - you'll need a slightly longer QR skewer.

M4 screws with countersunk philips head. (couldn't find 4mm allen head, and 3mm allen is too small to be tightened strong enough)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1150202_1k.jpg (96.6 KB, 434 views)
P1150203_1k.jpg (95.4 KB, 415 views)
P1150204_1k.jpg (58.1 KB, 426 views)
P1150205_1k.jpg (55.1 KB, 424 views)
P1150206_1k.jpg (48.8 KB, 415 views)
P1150207_1k.jpg (58.5 KB, 419 views)

Last edited by OndrejP_SK; 02-08-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 03:40 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Good job!
Old 02-09-15, 11:26 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OndrejP_SK
The Tern Link (and many other Tern and Dahon models) bikes come with a proprietary rear derailleur mount for what they call Neos rear derailleur. This item costs $60 and and is about the quality of Shimano Acera. If you break one while travelling, good luck finding one in a shop. One exception is Dahon Speed, which comes with this Neos derailleur too, but has also a standard mount - that's what I call future-proof design.

That's exactly why I decided to modify my bike by adding a standard rear derailleur hook. I like how the Neos doesn't stick from the profile of the bike, but I want to be able to use a regular road rear derailleur. This becomes a necessity also if you want to use a double front chain-ring - the Neos derailleur simply doesn't have enough capacity to pull chain when you drop to the small chain-ring and anything smaller than the largest 2 sprockets. (40+52 front and 12-32 rear cassette).

All I needed was a replacement rear derailleur hanger for aluminum frames. I chose one attached using two M4 screws. I bought 2 for $5 from ebay.

Tools needed are a large flat metal file and 4mm drill bit.

I filed the replacement derailleur hanger to fit the frame, then marked the 2 holes and drilled the frame dropouts. The frame dropout also needs to be slightly filed to make it completely flat. The biggest problem was drilling the countersunk hole on the inside of the dropout. It's not easily accessed so I had to use a countersink drill bit and turned it by hand. The fingers hurt me for 3 days

Filed the replacement hanger (slightly also the frame, but it is not necessary)

Just two 4mm holes don't weaken the dropout too much. Here you can see also what needs to be filed (around the dropout where the QR nut would touch the frame).

Viewed from the back - you'll need a slightly longer QR skewer.

M4 screws with countersunk philips head. (couldn't find 4mm allen head, and 3mm allen is too small to be tightened strong enough)

you do understand that a factory replacement conversion hanger is available from Tern right ? Just in case of folks who don't want to file and DYI stuff, but want to use original parts ( also a warranty issue in case something goes wrong )

other than that good project :-)
thor
Old 02-09-15, 02:01 PM
OndrejP_SK

Bikes: 3 x 700c with drops and 2 x 26'' with flats

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know Thor, but the hanger costs about $30, in EU definitely north of 30 EUR. Is it gold plated or what ?

Would it be such a problem to make all Tern Link frames with rear derailleur hanger and front derailleur braze-on like the Tern Link D16 ? How much more would it cost to produce ? Instead they make about 4 different variants (uno, for Nexus IGH, for Neos RD, D16).

Yes, the warranty issue, you're right. I just hope the frame doesn't break in two.
Old 02-09-15, 05:12 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OndrejP_SK
I know Thor, but the hanger costs about $30, in EU definitely north of 30 EUR. Is it gold plated or what ?

Would it be such a problem to make all Tern Link frames with rear derailleur hanger and front derailleur braze-on like the Tern Link D16 ? How much more would it cost to produce ? Instead they make about 4 different variants (uno, for Nexus IGH, for Neos RD, D16).

Yes, the warranty issue, you're right. I just hope the frame doesn't break in two.
of course you are right ..I am asking for that since years ..lol
but we have different old's for the single speed hubs ..which would require washers and longer axles in those hubs. unfortunately those are not available ... so its partly a question of the sub supplier which makesndifferent frames necessary ... but again you are right. it would make things easy and interesting
thor
Old 02-09-15, 07:18 PM
Hinge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I completely agree. It would be great if all the frames had a front derailleur hanger. It looks like they are getting closer to this end, however. The Verge P9 has a hanger even though it has no FD.
Old 09-26-18, 02:41 PM
Javisan60

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"All I needed was a replacement rear derailleur hanger for aluminum frames. I chose one attached using two M4 screws. I bought 2 for $5 from ebay."

Hi nice conversion, I have a 9 teeth Jockey wheel broken and need replacement, but replacement prices are excessive (US$ 17 a piece), and a new Neos derailleur is hard to find and if found crazy expensive, Tern adapter is way out also. I just replaced with a 10 teeth and it worked flawless, but want to adapt a better derailleur with standard parts.

Could you please, give to me the hanger number you bought, I have search in Ebay, and there are thousands!!! Please?

Thank you!
Old 09-11-22, 04:08 PM
Bobcha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hanger

I used Google Lens to locate hanger on eBay. Delivered today. Would have sent a screenshot but not allowed yet. Fixing to Dahon Speed 7
Old 10-05-22, 08:43 AM
xedapgap

Bikes: folding bike hachiko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job!