Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Continental Gator Hardshell and Puncture Resistance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 04:17 PM
urban_cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Do Continental Gator Hardshell tires, offer good puncture resistance?

I just bought a set of these thinking they must be exceptionally good at preventing flats, because they are Gators.

Anyone here have experience with these tires? Can you share your opinion of these tires and their puncture resistance? These are Continental Gator Hardshell tires, not Gatorskins.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-30-22, 10:07 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use these tires and rarely have a flat. The usual cause when I do have one is the tiny wire or I run over a large piece of metal.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 01-31-22, 09:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
↑↑↑ Same here, they help with thorns which are on anything green in Southern AZ but not with steel belted tires that should have been taken off the road instead of shredding bits of wire on the road.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-31-22, 09:15 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I rode them commuting in Denver for four years, about 6000 miles per year. Had a couple of punctures from goat heads, both were slow flats that required repair after arrival, not on the commute. They are as advertised.
Likes For randallr:
Old 01-31-22, 10:43 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I have a pair (25mm) on my 'Spring training' wheels. But I prefer my Conti 4Seasons (28mm) that have very similar flat protection but slightly better rolling resistance and feel a bit better on the road than the gators but could be that they're a size wider and run lower pressure too, YMMV.

Last edited by billridesbikes; 01-31-22 at 10:52 AM.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 01-31-22, 10:58 AM
urban_cyclist

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies. There were no Gatorskins at the LBS, so I bought these. My only criteria was good puncture resistance. I have no experience with any Continental tires, but the Gatorskins get great reviews.

I assumed these would offer similar puncture protection to the Gatorskins, but I haven't been able to dig up much information on these tires.
Old 01-31-22, 08:13 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
I agree and I believe most major manufacturers offer flat protection of some kind and they help, and I believe they ride a little better but don't protect as well.
Old 02-01-22, 12:19 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
They are intended to offer better protection than Gatorskin.

But if you fill them with concrete they won't run much worse and then you will be certain not to get a flat.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 02-01-22, 12:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a set on my training/commuting wheels. Lord, they are hard and heavy, but they are pretty damn puncture proof.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-26-22, 01:57 PM
urban_cyclist

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
So after having these tires for a while, they are holding up great. No flats, and I have unintenionally ridden over broken glass a few times on my commute.

I don’t mind the weight of the tires, or the rolling resistance of the tires, (to me, they roll just fine).

The tires offer excellent flat protection and that was exactly what I was after.
Likes For urban_cyclist:
Old 03-26-22, 09:04 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
rolled on these for a few thousand miles, mix of city streets, rural roads, ill-advised gravel. no flats. then again, same mix of surfaces for more thousands of miles on GP5000 tubeless and also no flats.
Old 03-28-22, 03:10 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
The way I see it if you're going to go for Gatorskins you might as well go the whole hog and get the hardshell version. I used both Gator types for winter commuting for a few years and of course they both feel a bit dead and they don't have much grip especially near freezing point, but they do their job, being pretty trustworthy in getting you to work puncture free and they keep you upright as long as you don't try to corner or climb on them like they're GP5000s!

The caveat is always that every person commenting on these threads has their own n=1 experience. As in the case of the last poster, I have since switched to some new-old GP4000sII I've had for years and I've had the same number of punctures per mile during winter use as the Gator Hardshells, which is to say, very, very few.